polycount on consoles?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2003   #1
polycount on consoles?

does anyone know what the polygon count is on main char. for console games? also texture limits? naturally.... it would depend on the game.. but just as a general rule.. example:

gamecube might have around X ammount of polys for mario on mario sunshine, and then he probibly uses X as a texture size at X resolution?

it'd be fun to know what the real world uses for games...not just UT2k3...

Old 02 February 2003   #2
hehe well.. it could be 1000 polys and it could be 4000 polys. I mean as you say, it depends on the game.

But Mario is a guess around 1000 - 1500 polys with a single 256x256 uv map. :]

Old 02 February 2003   #3
I'd say that's a dang low texture limit for Mario, but then again much of him is solid color. The eyes aren't included in that though. I believe those are a separate animated texture.

Old 02 February 2003   #4
I havent seen many maps over 512x512 but I dont know much. 1000-1500 seems low for mario, but could be right, they can get a lot of other charectors on screen. Diamant is working or Outlaw vollyball and is using 14k-16k polys and 1 256x256 for the head, 1 512x512 body, and 1 256x256 for clothing, but only has 4 players at most on screen, in a very small area. DOA is supposed to be higher.

i would really like to hear what Metroid is pushing, that looks awesome.

Old 02 February 2003   #5
http://www.absolute-playstation.com...xter_review.htm
(playstation 2 game)

"Jak is 4000 polys alone. To put this in perspective, Crash Bandicoot utilized 500 polys"

Old 02 February 2003   #6
o_0 wow.. jack was 4k?!?! i'm gonna have to go take another look at that game.
thanks for replies everyone.

Old 02 February 2003   #7
If I recall correctly, Halo's Master Chief is around 1500 polys, with one 512 x 512 texture map. FPS games have to use smaller poly counts because you can have so many characters on the screen at once.

Here's an interesting factoid:Bungie has stated that Halo 2 will actually uses lower-poly models than Halo 1, because they are doing Doom3-style shadow volumes, so they want simpler geometry. They use the dot3 bump maps to make the lower poly model look better than the older higher-poly model.

Old 01 January 2006   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread