CGTalk > Software > Photoshop / Painter
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 12-07-2006, 03:14 PM   #1
A2597
Austin Van Rider
USA

Enlarging an image 500% or more, and making it look good? (HELP)

Whooo, I have a doozy here.

Taking screencaps from a home video, and enlarging them to print quality. I've pretty much been told it's impossible to do, but I figure I'll ask here and see if anyone has idea.

I would just re-paint it, but I'm not a photoshop painter, I look at some of the digital artworks here and I can't wrap my little head around how it gets done. LOL

I can do basic stuff, cleaning images, maybe paint nebulas...but mainly I just use photoshop for webdesign ideas.

So, any tips of the trade on how I might be able to enlarge a low quality image (~500 pixels wide) to an 8x10 printable quality image?

Any and all help is very very VERY much appreciated!!

Old 12-07-2006, 03:44 PM   #2
rookuli
Veteran

portfolio
Róbert Ágoston
Alba Iulia, Romania

Send a message via MSN to rookuli Send a message via Yahoo to rookuli
You can try the magic with these:

Alien Skin Blow Up (Photoshop plugin)

BenVista PhotoZoom

Old 12-07-2006, 07:12 PM   #3
DangerousCliff
Know-it-Some

portfolio
Cliff Brannon
3D Generalist
San%2BAntonio, United%2BStates

i've just wrapped up a project where i used the Alienskin Blowup quite a bit, and have to say that it worked amazingly well.

thre is a fully functional 30 day trial available at alienskin.com, so try it out to see if it works for your needs.

Old 12-08-2006, 09:55 PM   #4
A2597
Austin Van Rider
USA

PhotoZoom Pro is amazingly good at this. Both are really, but PhotoZoom is getting it a little bit sharper (Which is good, because it's a blurry image to start with!)

Thank you! I'll still have a fair amount of re-painting to do, but this gets me ALOT further than I would have been!

Again! Thank you! (You just saved about 200 hours work for the size of this project...LOL)

Old 12-09-2006, 01:25 AM   #5
roguenroll
concept / matte

Florida,
USA

photozoom has worked great for me. and the alien looks good too.

edit

wow photozoom has some terrible examples, alein looks much better.

try demo

edit

ok I had a play with Alien, great job, very clear. I blew up a 72dpi pic which was fairly
high rez to start, up to poster size. I think it would look good.

Photozoom, i noticed in my tests, while my posters did end up good, there was a sort
of filter look that you can notice in portions, this will be more or less, depending on the file size/DPI you start with.

My first play with Alien, I'd say is much better than photozoom

Last edited by roguenroll : 12-09-2006 at 09:30 AM.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:33 PM   #6
worx
Don Hillenbrand
USA

This is a case of "garbage in, garbage out", I'm afraid. All video caps are not created equal, so you have to start with that. But any video cap that is not done from some high-def source is never going to look good when blown up, no matter what program you use. Most enlarging apps count on the fact that you are starting with a good, high-rez image and are blowing it up even larger from that. On that basis they work just fine. But if you are starting with a small, rezzy, distorted image to begin with, you'll just end up with a larger version of a poor-quality pic.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:25 PM   #7
stylEmon
Blam sucka BLAM

portfolio
Nick Pitcavage
Effects
www.renderpit.blogspot.com
Dallas, USA

Send a message via AIM to stylEmon Send a message via Yahoo to stylEmon
i suggest trying to get the most out of your printer. it oftem looks better when scaling things up during printing rather than in PS. Scaling from 640X480px to 8.5X11in its not a HUGE jump so I'd try using one of those mentioned plug-ins to get you half-way there, then scale the image up when printing.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:52 PM   #8
evanfotis
Esse quam videri

portfolio
Evan Fotis, Georgoulakis
Athens, Greece

SLR screen capture

One other solution is this:

If you have a decent 6mpx DSLR, use a tripod and take a picture of the screen (ambient lights off).
Import images in PS and colour correct.

If you have a film SLR, use a shutter speed of 1/8th sec or slower if you are using a CRT, so there is no scan lines in the picture.
Have them developed l& printed large or ask for a high res scan on a cd. (the images can be 20+MP)
You'll have to adjust camera/screen angles and as less light as possible. With some practice it be fine.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:52 PM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread