walk cycle need a crit plz!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2006
walk cycle need a crit plz!

Hey guys,
been working on a walk cycle, its only really legs and body, ive playblasted afew angles. Please any crits or advice will be very appreciated

thanks in advance guys !

back view
front view
side view
persp view

-Darken

12 December 2006
Hi Darken

Looks alright so far, in my opinion there should be a little bit more weight shifting (to the sides) whenever your character lifts its legs.

Subsequently, the top bit of your character's body would shift towards the opposite direction to counterbalance the original weightshift. Right now it feels like they (lower body, COG, upperbody) are all moving in the same accord, I believe it would look much better if you increase the overlapping between those three.

Last edited by Shortndeadly : 12 December 2006 at 07:19 PM.

12 December 2006
i think it looking good. you might want to try is to translate him side to side on the down position. I would also rotate the hip some. foward when the leg is foward and down when the leg is passing. You're on to a good start

12 December 2006
Ok thanks for the advice guys, ill give that a try ill post an update soon

cheers

-Darken

12 December 2006
Hey guys,

Ive had a go at doing what you suggest.
Ive added some more weight shift and rotation in the hips.
Ive also offset the hips and the body sqaush and stretch by a frame or two

Unfortunatly I couldnt get the upper body to counteract the weight shifting much, the rig just doesnt have the control (as far as i know to do it).

Hope you guys like it
Front
Side
Back
Persp

12 December 2006
Cool man.
It looks like hes going out for a brisk walk.
But why only the lower body? About the side-to-side wt shift- I think you'll find it easier if you use a biped.

Hope this doesnt sound like me hijacking your thread- I too have started animation. Just did a walk cycle. Can you plz check it out..?

12 December 2006
Darken,

Its looking pretty good so far. I especially like the subtle squash and stretch. That really makes it pop. My only crit is that his rear/trailing foot seems to have a very slight pause in translation just before he steps forward again. On a treadmill this would be impossible. I see two ways of solving this problem. The first being to take out the pause all together and have him step forward just a bit quicker; or you could leave the pause there and just pull his foot back slightly mimicking the natural motion of a treadmill. Keep up the good work.

12 December 2006
Hey again Darken-R

U know what? i've been trying to animate walk cycles too. But am getting confused cause of the head placement, hands etc.

Smart of u to start with this rig.

Could you tell me where u got this rig from?

12 December 2006
Hey guys,
sorry i could reply sooner no internet! its like going cold turkey!

banks,
I see what you mena man I hadnt noticed it before .... hmm i might try encorparating that treadmill movement in it :/... good spotting!

Hey Amit, you thread hi-jacker! lol yeah i call my self an animator and do anywhere near enough, so i decided to go back to basics, this models good as it allows a bit of squash and stretch fun and you can get your head round the legs (which i always find hardest) I forget wheree I got it from, I think its called 'mikey' rig. google search it youll probably find it ( its just a rip off of the AM one). When Im happy with the walk cycle I plan to transition it into a run cycle ... which should prove a little challenging..

12 December 2006
Hey Darken-R
about this rig- I found one called Moom- kind of based on the AM rig. Its a biped but you can hide any part you want. You might want to check it out urself.

So u r an animator, eh?
cool1
just 1 question: why do u make it walk in the same step? I didnt do it cause I read in the Survival Kit that its better to avoid it. Do u feel animating a walk cycle in 1 place helps u learn better?
Hoping to see that run cycle.

12 December 2006
well the whole walk cycle is mainly used in game animations. They use a looping cycle where the character walks or runs etc. I feel that they are good starting place, im working on the moving walk at the same time should be able to post some progress on that tommorow.

Ive seen the Moom rig its very cool I may use him when I come to a full body walk (we shall see)

cheers mate

-Darken

12 December 2006
I was analysing ur walk cycle to see if I'm not doing something that u r.

And there is no down position on your cycle.
Generally the contact pose is when the height is medium. Then when he puts his front leg down and the weight is on that leg the body height dips down. After that on the Up and Extreme up- his height is maximum.

But in this cycle- there is no down. The least height is during the contact pose.

Did that deliberately?

12 December 2006
Umm.... i did have the survival kit open infront of me, however i may not have listened to it all that much. I think I put one in or though i think i tried to keep it subtle. You gotta rember the survuval kit is for 2d and some things just dont work as well in 3d (imo). Plus my cycle probably isnt all that good

-Darken

12 December 2006
Hmmmm............
about what u said about being subtle in 3d as opposed to 2d....
It really makes me think.
Do you mind doing me 1 favour? Plz check out my thread again and look at the very 1st cycle. Now thats very subtle. But as you are saying here thats might what be needed for 3d.

As far as this cycle is concerned- looks good and natural- so it works!
What matters is performance given not the so-called principles followed. If twisting the rules gives you a better result -then so be it.

Or perhaps we are both missing some part of the puzzle here and our work will look better with those principles IF we learn to apply them properly? Hmm..
Time to put on my thinking cap.

12 December 2006
lol well.. i do agree that the ends justify the means ! but we are probably missing something lol. Ill take a look at your cycle when i get home from work

-Darken

Thread Closed share thread