Command to select view window?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2006   #1
Command to select view window?

With R10 I've decided to create a new layout for my startup that uses Tabs in the main window, see attached screenshot.

This has been working great, especially with the new context help. Only thing is, it would be great if there was a keyboard command that would bring the "View" window to the front... Is there one? I can't seem to figure it out. There is a command for virutally every other window. I wish i could hit a key if i was in the "Help" tab that would quickly switch to "View"

Any ideas? Could this be scripted?

Also, is there any way to cycle through the open documents in r10? I've docked the "documents" icon in my layout, which makes it pretty easy to jump to another document, but a key command would be sweet. I really wish C4D had a tabbing system for open docs, something similar to how Flash operates... any thoughts?

thanks,

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: png tabs-r10.png (42.0 KB, 47 views)

Old 12 December 2006   #2
Sadly for your first problem, because of cinema 4D's multiple view window system, you can't specify which view you would want so its not possible with a command and COFEE is too limited for a script, it might be possible with C++ though, but thats beyond my knowledge and capabilities.

As for switching documents, open the command manager and do a search for Next project and previous project, they don't have shortcuts by default.

Old 12 December 2006   #3
Thumbs up

Hey Kai, thanks for enlightening me about the Prev / Next Project commands! That's exactly what I was looking for... And thanks for the info regarding the View windows.

greatly appreciative,

Joe

Old 12 December 2006   #4
I don't want to be rude and of course everyone's free to change the interface as they like, but I would never tab the viewport. Content browser, content manager, help...these can better load in separate floating windows. My opinion of course. But then again, I reserve my keyboard commands for actions (from the structure and function menus, and some tools), not for managers. Html help? I have as good as given up on that one as it's clumsy, incomplete, arcane, chopped up and not very helpful at all.

Old 12 December 2006   #5
Originally Posted by joeski4d: With R10 I've decided to create a new layout for my startup that uses Tabs in the main window, see attached screenshot.

This has been working great, especially with the new context help. Only thing is, it would be great if there was a keyboard command that would bring the "View" window to the front... Is there one? I can't seem to figure it out. There is a command for virutally every other window. I wish i could hit a key if i was in the "Help" tab that would quickly switch to "View"

Any ideas? Could this be scripted?

Also, is there any way to cycle through the open documents in r10? I've docked the "documents" icon in my layout, which makes it pretty easy to jump to another document, but a key command would be sweet. I really wish C4D had a tabbing system for open docs, something similar to how Flash operates... any thoughts?

thanks,

Joe

As for the first point... you *can* use your mousewheel if you're in that general area to cycle through the tabs... I find that quite handy, and documented nowhere.

As for the second one, if you go in and assign hotkeys (in the Command Manager) to Next Project and (I think) Previous Project, you can do just tab. I assigned Next Project to Ctrl-Tab just because that's what I'm used to (most win apps use that) -- I do Ctrl Shift Tab for Full Screen (which is normally Ctrl-Tab) because I don't usually have so many that I can't cycle forward, and honestly, because I don't use full screen very often.

Hope this helps...

Old 12 December 2006   #6
Hey Ascent, very cool about the scroll wheel trick with the tabs... thanks!

-----

Erik Heyninck, I didn't take your post as rude, but I find the tabs working very well for me now. I've been putting alot of time in learning all the new stuff with r10 (it was a 2 point upgrade for me) and setting up my layouts/commands... so having them tabbed right there helps. Maybe down the road, the layout will evolve and that's the beauty of Cinema's extremely flexible GUI. I have to keep reminding myself that I can't break a layout and that if a quick mod to the layout will help the task at hand, then go for it. a simple reload to the layout will get everything back to normal.

One benefit to having Help tabbed is that it comes in at consistent size and place.

Old 12 December 2006   #7
Another interface question

While we're on subject of the c4d's interface, how do you get the "enhanced color picker" in the materials editor stay the default?

If you change the size of the icon view in the OM, how can that stick as well?

Old 12 December 2006   #8
Enchaned color poicker can be chosen under Edit->Preferences->Units, the OM icon size should stick by default (though it may be document specific in which case you can make it a clobal preference by storing it in an empty scene with everything set up and saved as new.c4d in your cinema home directory). most of this is covered in the new and demo users faq sticky thread at the top of the forum.

Old 12 December 2006   #9
Originally Posted by joeski4d: While we're on subject of the c4d's interface, how do you get the "enhanced color picker" in the materials editor stay the default?

Edit->Preferences->Units->Color Chooser

Originally Posted by joeski4d: If you change the size of the icon view in the OM, how can that stick as well?

I was thinking that saving a layout should work, but it doesn't seem to. Perhaps there's another way, or that's just something that was overlooked as they were rebuilding the OM.

FWIW, I tab my viewport area as well -- View/Xpresso Editor/Tag Manager/etc

Old 12 December 2006   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread