Trumpet, Opacity (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2003
Still life: Trumpet

Hey folks, this is a a trumpet I made for the January contest over at XSIbase.com Since the contest is over I thought I'd show it over here as well

There's as usual a bunch of stuff I wanted to fix but I didn't have the time so I'll just leave it as is and move on

Results can be viewed here.

02 February 2003
Nice looking, but it looks brand new.

With that case, it suggests the thing is like 20-30 years old. I'd rough it up a bit.

02 February 2003

That is one beautiful cornet! Makes me want to take my trumpet out and give it a polish!

Masterful!

02 February 2003
it looks absolutely beautiful...dont' ding it up, could just be an old case I especially like the inscription...that level of detail is always a nice touch

02 February 2003
I agree with Matt, you should work on it a little more and at least put a couple small dents in it, or tarnish it a little. It's way too shiny as it is right now. Good model and render though.

Low - Poly Batman in Maya

Tiamat - The World Dragon (Maquette)

Online Tutorial: Character Rigging for Maya

02 February 2003
Thanks folks The shinyness can always be disussed, it's somewhat based on a series of photos of a sertain trumpet so it's made after that partially, I though it was important to make a nice metal shader and have the middlesection look a bit handled, but not dirty or scratched so the dirt/reflectivitymap is strongest around the buttons and where you would put your hand, or at least where I think you put 'em! I can't play one of those

cheers

02 February 2003
as an old trumpet player, the valves aren't shiny enough if it was new. also, the mouthpiece looks way too long. then again, my cornet didn't have that big funky bend going to the bell, it was much smaller and less flat. other than that. its sweet.

:xtreme:

02 February 2003
very nice, althought the texture on the case looks a little off.

The modeling and shading of the instrument is very good. As for the shinyness, who says that the person didn't just take good care of it?

Gallery Pages
SFS Forum is here. 2MB attachments are allowed on these forums.
SFS Gallery is here. 50MB free display space for your artwork.

02 February 2003
being the first xsi base challenge i entered i was up against pretty stiff competition, and it's good to see the winner getting the credit that is due, your trumpet rocks and feel to blow it yourself.

Well done you deserved to win!

02 February 2003
Dude your image is kick ass....I really hope you dont ding it up either...I think it looks great just the way it is........

02 February 2003
It's not like if he ages the instrument, that he can't have two copies, one original, and one aged/dirty/dinged/whatever.

A cool thing to do would be a time-lapse sort of render sequence, where it shows the brand new trumpet and brand new case, and over time, stickers are slapped onto it, removed, scratches added to the case, the trumpet loses pieces, gets different mouthpieces, and finally just sits there for a few seconds while hyper-fast dust collects on it like it's in an attic somewhere. Then the dust is blown off of it to reveal the aged instrument.

It's not like he can't just have two files... TrumpetNew.xsi, TrumpetAged.xsi

02 February 2003
that's very sweet indeed. the only crit is the texture on the case looks too procedural, and doesn't have the quality of depth that the rest of the image has.

02 February 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Matt
It's not like he can't just have two files... TrumpetNew.xsi, TrumpetAged.xsi

Somebody that loves their instrument would let the case take the beating while the trumpet remains pristine. I think it's a nice juxtaposition.

Great looking piece of 3d!

02 February 2003
Quote: Originally posted by lowdown
Somebody that loves their instrument would let the case take the beating while the trumpet remains pristine. I think it's a nice juxtaposition.

Great looking piece of 3d!

I agree, my guitars are the same way, and kinda old, but look great, the cases on the other hand are beat to he.....!!

Thread Closed share thread