Acting Challenge #3: Post Progress; Deadline Nov. 27th

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2006   #1
Acting Challenge #3: Post Progress; Deadline Dec. 4th

Welcome to another Acting Challenge.

This challenge is a little different then the last ones. There are now two topics to choose from so if you dont like one then hopefully you will like the other one.

The topics are...

Loses at roulette

Exercise gone wrong

The deadline is in two weeks, EDIT: CHANGED TO DEC. 4TH.

The rules for the challenges are located here http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=405834

We need to find a board moderator to make the challenge and the rules sticky. Anyone friends with one?

Last edited by dudeacle : 11 November 2006 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Deadline changed from Nov. 27th to Dec. 4th

Old 11 November 2006   #2
The topics sounds great

I really hope I could work on this one, i've got alot to do this month

I've modeled a roulette for this challange, And i've desided to share the model with you guys so you could focus on the animation instade of props

Enjoy (click the image to download the file)

Old 11 November 2006   #3
Is there a time range for the animations?, I mean, a minimum and a maximum admited?

I´m thinking about doing and "exercice gone wrong" animation, something between 10 to 20 seconds long.

Old 11 November 2006   #4
Thanks for the model Amir! It looks great! You work really fast, seeing how the challenge has only been going for a day.

Quote: Orginially quoted by Goig!
Is there a time range for the animations?, I mean, a minimum and a maximum admited?

I´m thinking about doing and "exercice gone wrong" animation, something between 10 to 20 seconds long.

There is not a time limit for theses challenges. Make the animation as long as it needs to be. Dont get carried away though, you only have two weeks to complete it. The animations i have been turning in have been around 5 and 10 seconds.

Old 11 November 2006   #5
Ah Sweet Amir!

im loving the community vibe!

hopefully i can knock out some thumbnails tonight

-Darken

Old 11 November 2006   #6
Thanks for the roulette Amir!! You're setting a great example for these challenges

Ok, here's what I have so far. I'm starting to use Jason Schleifer's grease pencil script more.

Quicktime
Here's a very low quality gif too.

I still feel like I need to work on the timing a little bit. My next pass on the rough will include some breakdowns to get a better sense of the motion.

Old 11 November 2006   #7
Wow, two updates in a row. Just in one of those moods where I don't want to stop animating.

Rough with Breakdowns

Those markers you see outside of the resolution gate is a way for me to know what kind of pose I'm looking at.

Hmm... going to add more frames in some of those poses between frames 1-17, it's going too fast.

Last edited by SirRon : 11 November 2006 at 09:08 AM.

Old 11 November 2006   #8
The timing looks good SirRon. The composition is very good!

I hope to post some keys tonight. I really would like to use Amir's roulette model but i am doing exercise gone wrong. I got a good idea and i have to do it. Ive been wanting to animate LowDog and i found a reason to!

Old 11 November 2006   #9
Thumbs up

wow, sweet job so far...its good to take those steps..(im a bum) but yeah, the camera angle seems odd to me. I would place him more up close and personal so the viewer can focus on teh animtion instead of the roulette table... and so you can really feel his frustration!! Maybe a exaggerate a bit more in the poses too. Thats my opinion anyway

Old 11 November 2006   #10
Cool work sirRon! nice to see people using grease script.

I should have my thumbs uploaded tonight.. God willing... :/

-Darken

Old 11 November 2006   #11
Ok, here are my thumbs if this linking buisness decideds to work out :/..

the camera angle is not what ill be using in the actual animation. let me know what you guys think!

not sure how obvious whats happeniong is mind you
-Darken

Last edited by blurgh : 11 November 2006 at 09:38 PM.

Old 11 November 2006   #12
Darken:
Well he lifts the bar then the weights fall off. That's what I see.

I don't know, seems kinda plain. I'm sure you can get something more creative in there. What if he made an effort to keep the weights on, so you'd see him weave in and out of the camera to keep everything balance while keeping the bar up. But since that takes much more effort he starts to get weaker so he lowers the bar more and more, while trying to keep the weights on. Just a thought.

As for my animation...starting over from scratch.... I think minimum there would be 2 main key poses.
1- the anticipation of seeing where the ball lands
2- the reaction of losing

of the two poses I want the anticipation to be the one pose that everything hinges on.

I'm still going to have some more keys, but they just help reinforce those two main ones.

Let's see if I can answer the question that Ollie Johnston keeps taped on his desk. "What is the character thinking and why does he feel that way?"

He's thinking of winning ... thinking about his life. Why? This will be cliché but he borrowed money from the mafia and if he doesn't win the mafia is going to find some other way of getting him to pay. Yeah, it's a little bit out there

Keep you guys updated.

Old 11 November 2006   #13
Originally Posted by SirRon: Darken:
Well he lifts the bar then the weights fall off. That's what I see.

I don't know, seems kinda plain. I'm sure you can get something more creative in there. What if he made an effort to keep the weights on, so you'd see him weave in and out of the camera to keep everything balance while keeping the bar up. But since that takes much more effort he starts to get weaker so he lowers the bar more and more, while trying to keep the weights on. Just a thought.

As for my animation...starting over from scratch.... I think minimum there would be 2 main key poses.
1- the anticipation of seeing where the ball lands
2- the reaction of losing

of the two poses I want the anticipation to be the one pose that everything hinges on.

I'm still going to have some more keys, but they just help reinforce those two main ones.

Let's see if I can answer the question that Ollie Johnston keeps taped on his desk. "What is the character thinking and why does he feel that way?"

He's thinking of winning ... thinking about his life. Why? This will be cliché but he borrowed money from the mafia and if he doesn't win the mafia is going to find some other way of getting him to pay. Yeah, it's a little bit out there

Keep you guys updated.

dude!! just thought of a pose... he is either pulling on his hair or his hat... unless you have neither... squeezing the hell outta his head! to help build anticipation right before the ball hits

Old 11 November 2006   #14
Thanks for the suggestion Joeranimo, but I'm probably going with this new one which might not fit with that.

New rough blocking

Pardon the exposition in my WIPs, I tend to document a lot of things that go through my mind. If it's trivial stuff that I could be wasting my time thinking about let me know. What else am I suppose to think about?

A quick summary of what the B1, B2, and B3 mean for those who don't know. They indicate my primary, secondary and tertiary breakdowns. They help define the motion between key poses. From what I gather from VTS 19 from Keith Lango, primary breakdowns define key to key. Secondary define between breakdown and key. I made up the tertiary (I don't recall Keith talking about it), those define breakdown to breakdown. I haven't used that third one effectively and that often I think, but it's there just in case it pops up.

My previous one I had 15 frames labeled 'key', this time I have 6.

Starting the scene with him just putting down the chips and lifting his hand off of it. Looking really focused on the chips as if willing the stack to win.

The anticipation of watching the roulette spin should make him feel as if it's the longest moment of his life. After all if he doesn't win there's a significant loss. It's just one of those moments you hold your breath.

He loses! Looking really close to the roulette wheel double checking, triple checking. His right hand clutches his chest as if he's keeping his heart from bursting out. He stays fixated on the wheel until he notices his chips being taken away.

He tries to stand back up but just collapses with his arms still holding on to the roulette table. Last thing he does is probably cry.

Interesting note is that the two times he is standing up in anticipation. The first is for the ball to land and the second is before he falls.

Geesh, I sound like a scriptwriter or something.

Please, crit away.

Old 11 November 2006   #15
I´m going to do a trampouline dive gone as bad as it could get. =D

Thread Closed share thread