garage scene WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2006
garage scene WIP

this is a scene I am working on...it's a garage to render some of my car models in instead of using a basic plane all the time. I am using max3 and scanline renderer so it's not the best you've seen but keep in mind I am not going for photo realism, just an illustration type render to be used to make automotive enthusiast posters. any tips on how to improve the lighting and such will be greatly appreciated. thank you.

11 November 2006
another view

the other side of the garage... any help on how to dirty up the scene a bit would also be appreciated...

11 November 2006
wow... 61 views and no replies? so that means it either sucks or it's perfect I guess lol... no opinions at all?

11 November 2006
Not everyone makes comments around here. Im pretty of guilty of looking and not posting. Theres just so much to take in!

So.

Your scene has potential.

The black car looks pretty awsome. The truck looks like it could use some details. There are still a lot of hard edges on things, and some areas look like they could use more detail.

The enviroment is coming along. Its definatly not as good as the cars. You have a few things that are detailed pretty at a med-high rez, so you should match it. The cuboards and the car rasing thing could use a lot more detail. The lighting is a bit too bright and the shadows are too crisp. What are you using to render?

Also definatly change that checker floor! Get some dirt and grime on it and some concrete. You definatly need to texture everything.

Sorry if i seem harsh!

11 November 2006
thank you!!! all very good points... the truck is no where near finished tho lol... and the garage is a bit sterile for a garage...I'll work on it!!! thanks for the input!

11 November 2006
Overall, you've got a good scene. It doesn't have to be photorealistic to be believable, the problem is it's too perfect.

I've never seen a garage, workbench, or desk that wasn't a testament to organized chaos. If you want to "dirty" up your scene, add chaos. Put dings and dents on the left, dirt and scratches on the floor, leave drawers open, tools lying around, a cabinet door half closed. Right now the scene is too bright and organized, too much like a showroom than a garage. Look at the paint cans and oil bottles, they're lined up so rigidly as to make a drill sargent proud. It doesn't have to be an absolute mess, but there needs to have disorder within order. I don't like the tile floor, but that's more of a personal preference. It just doesn't fit the garage.

Please don't take this as a bash of you work, it's not. I don't doubt your modeling or texturing abilities at all. As an instructor once told me "if it looks like good CG, then it's not good CG. If it was, you wouldn't notice it was CG." Just get rid of the CG over-perfections and you'll have a great scene.

11 November 2006
thank you for the ideas... you are right, stuff shouldn't be so neat lol.. I've got work to do! thanks

11 November 2006
Yes i agree with sythetic, but other than that dude your models are great i am loving the wheels on the black car

11 November 2006
thanks! I'm working on getting the lighting sorted before going any further.

11 November 2006
lighting and shadows any better?

11 November 2006
my 2cents...

hmm - its looking nice and I know your not going for photoreal but my 2cents is that its detailed in some areas and other bits feel like polygon planes with textures on them. I know its kinda hard to escape with things like ramps and floors hehe but thats where texture variation comes in. Also - everything has the same sort of reflectivity - can you not do some blurred reflections on (for example) the blue hoist? A subtle bump map will help break up the reflection if not (some noise/grain texture)
also - if you can get some ambient occlusion in there it would really help it - failing that paint it into the textures. Failing that, polygon plane in the corners with a feathered alpha gradient slightly lifted off the original surface to give the impression of darker light in corners.

I'm always going on about history - evidence that someone uses the place, posters, cups, food, kettle and teacups, half a pot-noodle lying on the side, medical box - that kind of stuff that show sweat, blood and tears were seen in this kind of environment. without it all it looks far too clinical.

lastly (and this one is just taste) - those wheels are completely impractical - those tyres will wear out in a week hehe - maybe thicken em up or drop the rim size a little?

now be nice and look at mine (link in signature) - had 900+ views and no-one has owt to say on the bloody thing! :(

11 November 2006
Everything said before goes again.... Try to fix those reflections.... Lower the brightness of the scene even more.... add some ambient occlusion.... Try fixing those shadows as well... I think the problem is in your floor material ... It looks like the car and the other objects in the scene are not touching the floor...

I think your scene has potential... try fixing these things.. adding some ambient to it and it's going to look awsome....

Maybee you can put up a picture of your lightning setup...

Regards

11 November 2006
I think some GI and some reflection adjustments would make a big improvement.

11 November 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread