Sketchbook Thread of Maulik Kataria

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2006
Sketchbook Thread of Maulik Kataria

This is the best place to learn figure drawing and anatomy. People are amazing here and very generous to give their time to help people. Now I will make this section regular and will keep posting my drawings related to figure and anatomy. Here are the latest drawings I am starting with.

"Life is animation and we are our own animators." -i

11 November 2006
Maulik,

Welcome! Nice to see your Sketchbook up. Feel free to tell us about yourself and your goals, art training, etc., and also to talk a bit about what art sources you draw inspiration from - which will help to give everyone a better sense of what you want to accomplish.

Looking forward to seeing your progress here.

Cheers,

-Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 11 November 2006 at 03:48 PM.

11 November 2006
Welcome aboard, theflash, is always good to have a super hero among us
We're hoping to see you filling this thread with your sketches.

Cheers!

11 November 2006
Thanks for the warm welcome

Here is little bit of histoty and intro....

I am a computer engineer who no more wants to seat in a cubicle infront of the screen and write programs for whole day. It was for me a bad addiction and I kinda have abstained from it.

So to pick up an adventurours life, I decided to take my passion of animation and drawing as my career. So I left my job (which in my country is worst to do) and joined 6 month prog where they teach classical animation. But mainly I joined because they tought drawing in foundation. But I learnt a lot in last 3 months, and fought my blocking factors well.

So anyway I am right now getting so much passionate about drawing I finally started my thread to get more feedback. I recently started seeing masters' work and copying from them to learn anatomy and many other things. I dont have any art education, so I dont dig much into all kind of art. I just like drawing and animation so much that I want to keep drawing. Also I am planning to dig into painting stuff, but right now I dont see anything but pencil and paper

As for insipiration, I really dont have any specific source. Mostly I like art that represents and expresses comman man/woman, or fairy tales, fantasy stories and etc... Mainly I like storytelling, so any art which is related to some story is really inspiring for me. But still there can me many things I really love.

oops long enough, let me just keep it till here, before I go on talking and fill whole page.

-Maulik

Here are today's sketches. All but 3rd are masters' copy. 3rd one was from a book of yoga, the guy had balanced it well

Last edited by theflash : 11 November 2006 at 03:47 PM.

11 November 2006
Here are few more sketches that I had done few days back:

(first 3 copy from newspapers...)

(this is from an image ref posted in this section)

(this is from an image ref posted in this section)

11 November 2006
Hi Maulik..nice start..its quite interesting to read about ur background.

Keep working, you r in a right place...

btw this is something for u and everyone..(including me) a MUST see sketchbook..dont miss even a single page..this guy just proved..NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE !!

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=870

Will come again to see ur progress

Best of luck !

Last edited by shyamshriram : 11 November 2006 at 04:27 PM.

11 November 2006
Nice studies. Are you going off of memory or do you have a model you are working with?

My new anatomy thread

My Graphic Novel thread! & Blog

My digital thread

My anatomy thread!

Art is never finished, It's abandoned!

11 November 2006
I just read your history, it remembers mine a lot. I'm graduated in mathematics, but I'd be crazy if my only motivation in life would go to schools to teach teenagers things they don't want to learn... I jumped out of this life to become an illustrator and I have no regrets.
You're doing good in your sketches. Keep it up.
Hey are you Indian? Please, take a look on my Shiva wip. I'd like to hear your opinion.
Cheers!

11 November 2006
Hey Shyam,
I love your work so much and it's my pleasure to have you visiting my thread
Thanks for the link. I just saw first and the last pages. I am speechless. Wants to make me run like Forest Gump.

agggi93,
I have used photo references for all the images i have posted. For some of masters' work I have used a vary nice book (dont remember the name, was bought from vetican city) and also using masters' work from online galleries. Sometimes I do drawing from memory, but recently I have worked from photos.

jramauri
wow, maths->arts. Cool. But you know in our country such change of field is considered to be something really bad or not acceptable. One has to struggle a lot (I mean A LOT).
I commented your work on Lord Shiva with a big wow!

I have many concepts in my mind, want to translate some of them into finishe pieces, but right now I dont have much time.

Here is today's dose.....

This is a head I drew from a photo in newspaper... I have done nose bad, going too much in upward direction...

Any more suggestions most welcome & big thanks

I only did 5 :(

11 November 2006
hi Maulik

really fine thread you're setting up here!
Love the gestures they are really good... showsing that swung we're all after is there... just needs a bit routine. I can assure you determination like yours can take you every where you want

I am a bit confused about the head study... mainly the baseline of the mandible bothers me, there isn't really a distinction between the side which should have a low angle (about 15) and the rear part going up to the hinge, that should be quite steep
the nose you're aware of...
the side of his face looks quite straight... maybe make the jaw bone more prominent.
Try thinking of a face as a construction of planes and you will create a lot of volume to it..

Hope this helps

11 November 2006
Thanks NR43 each comment is precious for my progress.

I will come up with some updates on this face. I see some of the things you have mentioned, mainly for mandible and left side surface of the face.

03 March 2007
I am back.

Sorry fellas for not updating my sketchbook thread since very very long time.

Since I moved to US for studying animation at SCAD, I had to adjust to a lot of new things and so I did not get much time to visit forums. But anyways I am enjoying my study so much and I am going to scand my new drawings and post them soon. But here are few old sketches.

Thanks for dropping by.

03 March 2007
Here are some more head drawings, girl portrait was drawn from newspaper, other 2 are drawn from memory. One major problem that I have is that I dont use full values to their advantage, so my drawings have very less contrast to create volume and effect. Like if I could have done girl's portrait with darker hair or dark eyes, and more range of values, it would have look far better. I am still trying to improve on that. Also my shading techniques are a little improved after coming to sacd, so I still have to see how much I have improved on shading of portrait drawings.

Last edited by theflash : 03 March 2007 at 05:03 PM.

04 April 2007
Though it's figure art forum, I am posting this because I like it and would like to get more critiques. This is a charcoal still life drawing.

Last edited by theflash : 04 April 2007 at 05:27 PM.

04 April 2007
My god this is wonderful!
It's so Giorgio Morandi

Well Morandi usually kept things more simple but it definitely reminds me of his works

Thread Closed share thread