Multiple monitors and Blender

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2006
Question Multiple monitors and Blender

Hey friends...

New blender user here, but I'm learning quickly. I'm using a dual monitor setup on SuSE 10.1 with a dual head video card and OpenGL working flawlessly...

Question is......how do I get Blender working on two screens? That'd be quite useful for me. If anyone can help me out that'd be great. I'm also looking for a list of command parameters, that'd be pretty useful as well.

Thanks!

-Matthew

EDIT: Ok ignore that second question. Turns out that "Blender --help" returns a list of parameters, haha, who knew eh? Yeah I'm an idiot...

Last edited by Jiokah : 10 October 2006 at 12:05 PM.

11 November 2006
Well, I'm on a dual monitor setup . . . but I'm also on WinXP.

I just have to maximize Blender to fill both screens, and customize the UI to effectively take advantage of the spacious real estate.

Is there something preventing you from doing the same?

11 November 2006
Yeah there was. Here on linux when blender loads up by default, it takes an entire screen with no border or window controls (KDE). But I found if you start blender with the -w parameter it becomes windowed, this allows me to stretch it across both screens, though not maximized.

"blender -w" is what you would use to start the program.

Hope this was useful for anyone else who was wondering.

11 November 2006
Oh man, I want to use this, but when I stretch my blender across both screens, it gets really mad at me and pretty much stops responding.
I'm running blender 2.42 on mac os X 10.4.8 on a dualcore 1.83 Ghz intel macbook with 1.25 Ghz ram.

any ideas?
Thanks!

11 November 2006
This may be somewhat of a dumb question, as I don't know much about macs, but do you have two video cards or one dual head for both your displays? If you're using two, as with PCs, rendering across the two doesn't usually go too smoothly. I don't know much about this though. With a dualhead card and acceleration working good you shouldn't have any problems.

I remember using Maya a while back though with 3 monitors. Had a dualhead and an old PCI card. Maya would only work on the one screen, even with the second card out, the 3D view was a no go in the second monitor.

11 November 2006
you said you were in Suse, so you probably are using KDE then, right? if so, you can get rid of the borders of any window on your system just by right clicking on the window header, and from the menu choose the top submenu, advanced settings, or something like that. under there you can set borderless, and other goodies.
these kind of settings can also be saved so everytime you open blender, it will be borderless.. if you want.

.b

11 November 2006
Oh hey good suggestion, I can save it unmaximized across the screens and take out it's borders so it looks full screen. Thanks!

11 November 2006
to summarize the situation :

current blender will only work correctly on multiple monitors if the same hardware openGL renderer (and same stack) is used for both monitors, because there is no support code for multi-monitors in blender.

This work usually if the same card is used for both monitors on windows and MacOs X.

On windows that usually means that both monitors should be same size and have same settings while Os X is more lax on that.

On linux this may or may not work correctly depending of many things, nvidias setup were reported to work.

WARNING : as there is no code to handle that correctly in blender, if your videocard has not enough VRAM you will have responsivness problems.

This is especially true on MacOs X as a fair amount of VRAM is already used by quartz.
the macbook (not-pro) whith its shared memory integrated card is probably not powerfull enough for that.

64 Mb of VRAM on a real card is usually enough

I'm working on taking in account multiple monitors in blender code, but this is not ready yet

11 November 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread