How to set limits with the new IK in R10?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2006
How to set limits with the new IK in R10?

Hi,

I'm currently exploring the R10 Demo and especially the new Character Tools (which seem to be amazing, btw.), and have a question about the new IK system:

How can i set rotation limits or damping to certain joints?

P.ex., if i have a long joint chain, with one effector at the end, how can i achieve that the last joints follow sooner than the first joints of the ik-chain?
With soft-ik i would solve the problem using the rest rotation strength... how can i do it with the new IK?

thanks
günter

10 October 2006
Not sure what you're after, but you could use the new constaints. Set position constraints with strength set to below 100% so you get a lag.

10 October 2006
No, i'm afraid the constraints are not what i am searching for.
I'm searching for something like the old Kinematic-Tag where you can set rotation limits and damping.

Here's an image for clarification:

The old soft IK gives me a much more natural bending effect of the chain, because I have set the rest rotation strength of the first joint to 30%, the next 25%, then 20%/15%/10%/5% and 0%. The disadvantage of the Soft IK solution is that the effector is never reached by the last joint.

The new IK doesn't give me the possibility to set damping values, and therefore the first joint already bends too much.

I would need something like the Kinematic Tag, which unfortunately doesn't seem to work with the new IK.

Hmm, I hope there will be a solution for this... would make rigs so much more controllable...

cheers
günter

10 October 2006
The limits are in the joints themselves, under the kinematics tab.

10 October 2006
Have you checked out the Kinematics tab when clicked on a Joint? There are Preferred and Limits pull downs.

I don't see Damping, but there's Eeighting and Strength settings and min/max HPB settings.

There's also the Kinematic Tag under Cinema 4D Tags, not Character Tags.

10 October 2006
A chain will solve toward the position it's drawn in, keyed or rotated to. Alternately, you can make the chain solve to the preferred rotations. Try drawing the chain in a natural arc to start with and see if that helps. Those limits in the joints are utterly worthless imo.

10 October 2006
Like MV I'd say preferred rotation is the better way to go, but then I've never ever seen a rotation limits system in any app that I actually liked.

10 October 2006
Thanks for the replies, ok, so the limits are in the joints themselves then. Although i don't use them very often, it's good to know where they are

Quote: Like MV I'd say preferred rotation is the better way to go, but then I've never ever seen a rotation limits system in any app that I actually liked.

Yes that's right. I think for the effect i want to achieve i'd need something like a setting for damping. Limits are no good way to rig anyway...

Quote: There's also the Kinematic Tag under Cinema 4D Tags, not Character Tags.

The functionality of the Kinematic Tag was exactly what i was searching for. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with the new IK. And unfortunately, there's no damping setting in the Kinematics Tab of the joints...
Well, i think i have to play around with the strength and the weighting settings a bit...
maybe that's the way to go...

thanks
günter

10 October 2006
I just tried it with the demo, a long dynamic joint-tail,
the new joints work well together with the old soft ik.
After Effects7

i-4-detail

10 October 2006
Originally Posted by nutriman: I just tried it with the demo, a long dynamic joint-tail,
the new joints work well together with the old soft ik.

Yup just noticed this myself.

Soft ik tags work with CD tools/joints as well.

10 October 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread