The Face Machine

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2006   #1
The Face Machine

Over the past few months, we've been working on the Face Machine, an face auto-rigging tool for Maya.

Here's a movie displaying the first full face we've ever rigged with the Face Machine tools.
There's a long way to go to make this production and market ready but take a
look at what we have so far.

There's an Osipa-style bank of box controls to do general manipulations on the face.

And also direct manipulators to pull the face around into any pose you want. These make use of geometry constraints to make them easily used from any point of view without mangling the face. Also notice the automatic cheek bulging.

You can drop down to an even lower level to get very specific control over the way the face looks, including shaping the eyelids into any shape.

The rig was designed by me and Jed Mitchell. We're working on the interface to place it inside any head now, and it should be pretty cool when it's done.

--Raf Anzovin

Last edited by rafanzovin : 10 October 2006 at 06:22 PM. Reason: changed movie link

Old 10 October 2006   #2
Oooo, first post. Awesome Raf. Damn you and your smartness. hehe. The video is messed up though. Could you re-post it? Looks cool though. Can't wait to check it out.

-Sean

Old 10 October 2006   #3
Changed the link to be a smaller QT version...this should work better.

--Raf

Old 10 October 2006   #4
looks really awesome, i've develloped something in the tone of that, although yours is much better hehe..I wonder how you managed to have the double transform on thecontroler so pulling one, influence the other..also it's pretty cool they don't go all over the place like it's the case in my setup, it hard to constraint it only to the face.

looking forward to it though.I f you need beta tester..i'm your man..hehe.(on ca nalways try right).

Anyway great job

Old 10 October 2006   #5
looks very promessing... please show the setup steps .. i understand its wip process .. but to know how complecated it is.

thank u.

Old 11 November 2006   #6
To say it in one word... "AMAZING", this looks truly fantastic, i hope it will be released soon.
You mention that you can not show the interface because you still working on that, but it would be nice after you work more on the interface to have a video that shows the process and steps to rig the face...

Again, it looks wonderful

Old 11 November 2006   #7
Brilliant!

http://www.kamsvag.com

Old 02 February 2007   #8
Hi Raf

I've been using TSM 2.0 here at the studio for almost a year, and it's a must!

can't wait to put my hands on this one, if you're in need of a beta tester, drop me an email

cheers and good luck with the new product

Old 02 February 2007   #9
Off the hook, I am huge user of TSM 2.0. I have used it on many projects and freelance work. and it has not let me down yet...I am looking forward to adding The Face Machine, to my tool set.

Any idea when you will be releasing it?

Later
Jason

MY BLOG

Old 02 February 2007   #10
Thanks! We're hoping to go to beta in a couple of weeks, so the most likely release date will be begining of April.

--Raf

Old 02 February 2007   #11
Originally Posted by rafanzovin: Thanks! We're hoping to go to beta in a couple of weeks, so the most likely release date will be begining of April.

--Raf

a release in a couple of months...that`s great.

I`m sure it will have a huge success just as TSM2 has.

-Does face machine will have the option to use blendshapes?.... to have a combination of joint based deformations and blendshapes.

Old 02 February 2007   #12
Originally Posted by yolao:
-Does face machine will have the option to use blendshapes?.... to have a combination of joint based deformations and blendshapes.

No, the Face Machine doesn't use Blendshapes at all. It uses some joints but it's mostly deformed directly by a set of curves.

--Raf

Old 02 February 2007   #13
Originally Posted by rafanzovin: No, the Face Machine doesn't use Blendshapes at all. It uses some joints but it's mostly deformed directly by a set of curves.

--Raf

thanks for the answer.

I was asking about blendshapes because it will be nice to also have the option to sculpt the shapes for some expresions...

So you can sculpt some shapes on top of the default deformation that FACE MACHINE does automatically ( wich looking at the video are GREAT)

Would face machine have the option to sculpt the shapes, so when you move a locator you can have some specific shape at that time.. like FACEROBOT does.?

thanks... face machine will be GREAT

Last edited by yolao : 02 February 2007 at 07:18 PM.

Old 02 February 2007   #14
hello raf,
Like I said in a previous post the setup looks great.Although if you're using curve that are skin as infleunce object, make sure you test it maya 8.5 as there is an issue with it once they are setup with controller..where before there wasn't any double transform and you could move them freely with the rig now a double transform occurs.I don't know if you're using that but just in case i warn you.

Also if you've already found a solution to that problem please share as we are a few that are stuggling with that issue just now.

Anyway once again great job, hope I can make my hand on the product one day.

best of luck

matt

Old 02 February 2007   #15
You could use driven keys fairly easily to add blendshapes on top. We've done a couple of tests with 8.5 but we haven't encountered any issues with using curves as influences yet. For future reference, though, do you have any more info on the problem you're describing?

--Raf

Thread Closed share thread