Mel

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2006   #1
Mel

I want to learn MEL. And I want to know that which is more IMP to learn MEL C or C++.
Please help.
Id Mubarak to All people .

Old 10 October 2006   #2
Well... MEL is very much based on C++ with is the mother of most programming languages.... and knowing c++ is definitely an advantage.. though you can also learn MEL alone without ur C++ knowledge... MAYA is quite user friendly that way... check out the MEL Reference and also a coupla websites...
http://www.melscripting.com/
and a few others which u can google up...

http://nik-3d-fx.blogspot.com/

Old 10 October 2006   #3
Well... MEL is very much based on C++ with is the mother of most programming languages....

mel is nothing like C++, and to be honest, it's nothing like C either. out of any language, mel is closest to TCL/tk - however mel completely lacks structs, classes, member functions, operator overloading, templates, pointers, references, etc etc.

I'd also point out that C++ is certainly not the mother of all languages. C, pascal or asm maybe, but definately not C++ - which by all accounts is largely broken in many respects (just compare delegates in C# to member function pointers in C++ for example....).

These days though, i'd say C# is a better language to learn if you actually want to program a useful tool - that said, it doesn't work with the Maya API..... but it is an easier to grasp language than C++, and it's exceptionally quick to get a decent pro-looking tool up and running in it.

However, to answer the OP's question, mel is more useful to know than C++ and the API. You can achieve most things you'll ever need to do very quickly and easily in mel once you grasp the basics. The API *can* be useful, but only if you need to extend Maya in a completely new way - ie, integrate some C++ lib such as Physics, sound or input method etc into it. The API is better for writing exporters, but everything else takes a lot of time and indepth knowledge to get working correctly.

So basically, if you are someone who wants to write well polished reusable and complex tools, then the API and C++ is worth learning. However if you just want to do things quicker in Maya via the use of programming, then the simple answer is mel. btw, there are also a few of my old lecture notes on the API and mel scripting on my website linked in my sig which may also be useful....

Old 10 October 2006   #4
however mel completely lacks structs, classes, member functions, operator overloading, templates, pointers, references, etc etc.

not that i disagree with the rest of what you're saying, but mel does have a very specific implementation of references - a bit like java.

-sunit

Old 10 October 2006   #5
Well Robert...
Thanks for getting more specific in the issue of MEL & C++.... THough basically I am more into MEL than other languages...

http://nik-3d-fx.blogspot.com/

Old 10 October 2006   #6
Originally Posted by sunit: ... but mel does have a very specific implementation of references - a bit like java.

only for arrays.

Old 10 October 2006   #7
Cool

Thanks A LOOOOOOOOOOOOT for this .

Old 10 October 2006   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread