RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Editorial: Is Web 3D the next big thing?

Quote:
"The Internet continues to evolve, integrating video and podcasts as well as the inexorable increases in broadband access and processor speed. Browser enhancements proceed and the Web is now the largest recipient of advertising dollars. Blogs have achieved a critical mass and online magazines are more central to the intellectual debate than printed materials as more people get their news online than from any other source.

These changes, however, are only marginal in nature. The Internet, at least as experienced by most users, feels as if it has at last plateaued. One cannot help but get the impression that changes from this point forward will resemble consecutive versions of the Windows OS -- more a honing than transformation.

This is an illusion.

Forces are coalescing that will produce a shift comparable at least to the spread of broadband. This change will have enormous financial, cultural and political repercussions, and the most interesting aspect of the coming transformation is that it will not be some new and unexpected thing."

>>LINK<<

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 10-24-2006, 02:40 PM   #2
crumbly
karma farmer
Brendan Ross
USA

That is one of the most disjointed, hyperbolic, pointless pieces of writing I've read in a while. Not to mention that it isn't until halfway through that he actually gets to his point. And this amazing revolution he foresees in which "forces are coalescing that will produce a shift comparable at least to the spread of broadband"?

It's an OpenGL version of Bob.

Instead of navigating through folders to find a document (which could be enhanced with tagging, db based filesystems, etc) he wants me to walk around my stupid virtual office sorting through all the crap on my virtual desk, my virtual shelves, and in my virtual filing cabinets.

Wow, sounds awesome.

Last edited by crumbly : 10-24-2006 at 03:38 PM.

Old 10-24-2006, 02:48 PM   #3
thematt
brain filler

matt
EMCA
France

yes, exactly what I need a virtual 3d windows with tons of advertisement on it..cool.
I already hate when I spend more than 4 sec looking for what I want on a website.

please keep the cgsociety as it is for a while ok.

cheers

Old 10-24-2006, 03:34 PM   #4
Dennik
Stuck in the 80s

portfolio
Dionysios N
3D Artist - Animator
Winston Salem, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbly
That is one of the most disjointed, hyperbolic, pointless pieces of writing I've read in a while. Not to mention that it isn't until halfway through that he actually gets to his point. And this amazing revolution he foresees in which "forces are coalescing that will produce a shift comparable at least to the spread of broadband"?

It's an OpenGL version of Bob.

Instead of navigating through folders to find a document (which could be enhanced with tagging, db based filesystems, etc) he wants me to walk around my stupid virtual office sorting through all the crap on my virtual desk, my virtual shelves, and in my virtual filing cabinets.

Wow, sounds awesome.

Eh, yeah, i just scrolled down the fifty pages of that article and decided i'm not reading that far.

Regarding the 3d content.... Remember when the trend was to create intros in web pages? And then they realised how bad idea it was so they included a skip intro button?

People don't need intros, or crazy cool enviroments to browse in, people look for info in clear readable text. And they want it as fast as possible.

3D internet??? This guy must be living in the 90s

Animusing Productions
old animation stuff.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:46 PM   #5
stew
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Stefan Werner
Senior Software Engineer
Germany

Web3D hype? Is it that time of the year again?

Old 10-24-2006, 04:25 PM   #6
moujot
supernaut

portfolio
matthieu marseille
independant author
panoplie.prod
montpellier, France

Send a message via MSN to moujot
Quote:
3D internet??? This guy must be living in the 90s

Lol ! It does sound a little like back then, when WRML was big, or sort of.. and all these Blaxxun and else would release their players and 3D environements (remember SCOL..)..
It was already "hot" back then, and since that time, how many 3D browsers, plugins, viewers and whatnots have been released, along with probably the same amount of 3d "worlds"..
Seems to me it never really was so big, but maybe i'm wrong.
Anyways, i remember that building WRML from Max was a pain in the b#tt

mouj

panoplie.prod

Old 10-24-2006, 06:47 PM   #7
Bullit
Lord of the posts

Well at time (2 years ago) web 3d would be usefull for some arch work i have done, i even tested most solutions. But the smartt guys at Blaxxun and others had an outrageous licensing system... I think one of reasons that web 3d didnt picked was that. It's still good for museums, arch and some products .

Old 10-24-2006, 09:41 PM   #8
DangerAhead
Rigger Lover

portfolio
Geordie Martinez
Character TD - Rigger - Massive TD
Industrial Light & Magic
San Francisco, USA

Didn't that guy see Johnny Mnemonic?

Sounds like another bad idea resurrected and re-packaged for the sequel to "Dot-Com Bust", "Dot-Com Bust II: Return of the Marketing Zombies".

bleh. I don't want to become a 3DWeb designer.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:29 PM   #9
JA-forreal
Itchy render fingers

3d Designer

I already use 3d for most of my web media work. The next step is converting my 3d media into interactive site wide content. No more Flash. 3d interaction is one of the goals of the Verse project.

We are digital artist, we need computer devices that allow us to work better and faster. The Johnny Mnemonic multidimensional, voice and screen driven type of computing has to materialize. What do you think multi core CPU tech is aiming for folks? Faster 3d renders? I'm surprised that most software, hardware “digital” media companies and media “professionals” don't envision devices to jump start the current classic outdated media concepts. I am personally tired on the joystick, keyboard and mouse setup. Although the mouse or some mouse like item may survive in a voice driven touch screen computer world.

This is so yesterday. We should already be using this stuff in 2006.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:58 PM   #10
mech7
Lord of the posts
Chris
Where, Namibia

There allready is 3d internet.. Secondlife there has a special protocol which links to 3d places inside the world of secondlife.

Old 10-25-2006, 09:19 AM   #11
kaiser_pro
Thus.

Willem Koopman
London, United Kingdom

to be fair, HTML hasnt mastered tables yet (why oh why havent they got a visual tables tag, anda data tables tag.) let alone 2d motion

The next possible big thing is most likly to be xaml from MS

And we've already tryed so many times for a 3D interweb, and failed miserably (mainly due to factors like bandwidth, and consumer cpu/gpu power)

Old 10-25-2006, 09:31 AM   #12
mech7
Lord of the posts
Chris
Where, Namibia

Umm sorry but no professional webdesigner uses table for alyout anymore.. but instead writes semantic html and does the layout with css

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser_pro
to be fair, HTML hasnt mastered tables yet (why oh why havent they got a visual tables tag, anda data tables tag.) let alone 2d motion

The next possible big thing is most likly to be xaml from MS

And we've already tryed so many times for a 3D interweb, and failed miserably (mainly due to factors like bandwidth, and consumer cpu/gpu power)

Old 10-25-2006, 03:14 PM   #13
kaiser_pro
Thus.

Willem Koopman
London, United Kingdom

Yes, and no.

you can do wonderful things with CSS, (just look at css zen garden) however there are still a few things that you can only achieve with tables.

The table tag was really designed to hold data, It then evolved over time to be used as a layout tool. Then CSS was pushed upon us so that we could seperate style from data. the main problem with CSS is that both the style and structure are shoved in the same place. (unlike major DTP/page layout programmes, which afterall is where stylesheets came from)

It seems illogical to rely on CSS for both style and structure(especially in the same element), when it still is lacking major tools (like columns) Granted you can do things you cant with tables (like layers, and placing objects at specific coordinates)

Advanced layout in CSS are close to witchcraft, simply because its easy to create elements in a non linear way, obfiscating the design.

my major point is that HTML still isnt at a sensible stage yet, there are no simple tools for manipulating 2D odjects over time (you can use javascript, but that is much harder to learn that say motion tweening in flash)

Old 10-25-2006, 04:36 PM   #14
luxwork
Frequenter
Matt Daly
Chicago, USA

what these plonks don't quite get is that new killer apps are typically not designed by a company, although one company may work out the best (ie most embraced) implementation - like apple with ipod and podcasts. Apple did not invent mp3 ore ven the first hardware playback device for mp3 format audio, they just sexed it up for mass appeal. With the internet a tool was developed by researchers and was embraced by the public. Now with 'whats next' will not be the internet as we know it, my best guess is that it will be an expansion of online games since they have made a huge inroad into the masses' consiousness. No one will explore the '3d' web from within a browser. Browsers are for 2d pages with 2d content.
I suspect the next thing will be a derivitative of the WoW/second life paradigm, as soon as someone finds an non-game app that suits the format. Take these apps and shake them up and tell me what we are all talking about in 10 years: Google earth, WOW (or any other online game), zillow.com, mobile phone GPS, and the new ichat av coming in the new osx.
there is no way that someone can write a piece of software/standards and expect everyone to flock to it right away. there is an evolutionary process.

Old 10-25-2006, 05:31 PM   #15
Tex3D
Master of Boobs

portfolio
David T
Mechanical Designer
Hospira
Austin, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullit
Well at time (2 years ago) web 3d would be usefull for some arch work i have done, i even tested most solutions. But the smartt guys at Blaxxun and others had an outrageous licensing system... I think one of reasons that web 3d didnt picked was that. It's still good for museums, arch and some products .

Quoted for agreement.

I don't know how many stupid Trials and Demos of Interactive web blah blah blah software that I have downloaded only to find out that either my clients have to dowload a huge active X viewer plugin or I have to send them a link to that companies website where they have to register to download the full viewer.

Then you have the well rounded apps with all of the great featurse and small footprint output that i need.... But with a HUGE price tag.

*sigh*

-Dave

I have a feeling that SOMEDAY they'll get this web 3d stuff sorted out and then shortly thereafter it will be ruined by ads and virus attacks and we'll be back to emailing PDF files.

Thread Closed share thread