Sketchbook Thread of Su

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2006
Sketchbook Thread of Su

I've been thinking about starting a thread for weeks, I believe this will motivate me to do more sketches and with practice and critiques eventually I will get better. So here it goes...

Ink sketches (some brightness/contrast in PS)

and one digital copy from the torso workshop

10 October 2006
Hiya su,

It's great to see you finally starting a thread here. Your ink studies are rather charming. It might be nice to see a little book of these / a collection. Please tell us a little about your art training and background. I hope to see more of your work soon.

Cheers,

-Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

10 October 2006
Thank you Rebecca

I am studying visual arts and visual communication design, I doodle when I find the time and spirit, and sometimes I doodle because of lack of spirit. I really feel unfomfortable talking about myself (not that because I am a shady person :P)

...and here are today's ink sketches. I also found some bright red ink today, planning to use it soon.

more to come soon (hopefully today)

10 October 2006
su,

Thanks for telling us about yourself. I think you would quite like seeing some of the work from my former teacher Bob Kato's weekly Workshop, The Drawing Club, which he runs in Los Angeles:

http://www.thedrawingclub.com/home.asp

He has a blog there where he posts work from previous drawing sessions. A lot of artists do ink drawings a bit similar to yours. I think you'll like checking them out.

Cheers,

-Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

10 October 2006
Hi su

good to have you here
funny but I was subscribed to your thread without having posted anything... and I can't remember subscribing...
I thought oh well... might as well say hello

have you been drawing since long?

10 October 2006
Hey NR43, it's good to be here. I have been drawing for two years when I have the time. I decided to create more time for drawing lately, so here I am.

It's nice that you have unintentionally subscribed to my thread maybe it was meant to be

10 October 2006
Rebecca that link you gave is amazing, thank you I spend at least two hours looking at that blog.

I was meaning to update earllier but I got distracted ( also got biten by a hamster ).

I got my Goya book today so I will be doing some copies from it soon.

Here is a quick (30-40 minutes) masters copy from the torso workshop.

Ribera - St. Jerome

edit: the gray I used for the background seems to be very close to the thread's background. talk about luck...

10 October 2006
Little creepy ink sketches I like the top and the bottom heads. Both with a fantasy feel. Try working some more on the paintings. You have a start, so you just need to keep going. But if you intended to do just the quick paintings, forget what I've said When drawing I like to do line studies of some figures in one evening and then do the hatching another evening. Just helps me concentrate on one specific thing. Defining bones muscles with lines and the with shading. Would do that in one day if I had the time...

10 October 2006
Thank you Razz I'm glad to have your critiques. Unfortunately I didn't have much time the last two days, I'm hoping to have a few hours for drawing today. I am hoping to do more than quick paintings soon.

10 October 2006
Yay, I lack time too. There's never enough of it. Reminded me of an artist who posted a photo taken at night and wrote below it "time when I work". The day just doesn't have enough hours I guess

10 October 2006
Finally last night and today I had time to paint and draw.

here's my first oil painting, was going for a plain portrait but then got inspired from the daily sketch title "monster". (2,5-3 hours)

here's a study from Michelangelo (I couldn't scan it because it was 50x70 cm (20x27 inches), sorry about the wuality of the photo ) (around two hours I guess):

and here is two figures (10-15 minutes each)

edit: just before you guys point it out, the neck of the painting is off, I know oh and the hip of the sitting woman

Last edited by su : 10 October 2006 at 03:37 PM.

10 October 2006
Quote:

Su, there are elements to your painting that I really like so far - the touches of color in the hair are really quite nice and show a lot of promise. You should check out this painter:

http://www.hustonart.com/

one thing I would suggest though is to use a bit less white for the highlights, and try using yellow ochre or for highlights more frequently for highlights - since all values in a painting are relative to one another, having a slightly darker highlight color encourages you to make the darks a bit darker and the midtones as well - which overall enriches the painting by giving you more value range.

Cheers,

-Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

12 December 2006
Looking really nice. I love the crow on the first post, its so primitive
But post more, I'd really like to see more.

My Sketchbook

Come to say hello, please.

12 December 2006
I would love to update too but my hard drive just got screwed, I bought 2 new hard drives a few days ago and I'll set them up now. I have a few pieces to post, hope to be back soon

12 December 2006
finally I found the time to update (I like to pretend to be a very busy person).

all critiques welcome and appreciated.

Thread Closed share thread