Microsoft officially releases IE7 (ZDNET)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2006
Microsoft officially releases IE7 (ZDNET)

Quote: Some 18 months after Bill Gates pledged to revamp Internet Explorer, Microsoft is ready with the final version of Internet Explorer 7. The new Web browser, which has been in testing for months, is now available for download from Microsoft's Web site.
(more)

I'll be testing that later I think.

EDIT:Information disclosure bug blights IE7 release. Oh well, never mind.

Last edited by UrbanFuturistic : 10 October 2006 at 02:30 PM.

10 October 2006
Firefox. I actually don't care to give the new IE a chance...

10 October 2006
Originally Posted by Oculus: Firefox. I actually don't care to give the new IE a chance...

me too

10 October 2006
Originally Posted by Oculus: Firefox. I actually don't care to give the new IE a chance...

Originally Posted by cazz1:

me too

Thanks for the informative input on IE 7.

10 October 2006

yea, why do u even have to post.

i wonder if IE was exactly like FF, would you still post this, just because its a MS product.

10 October 2006
A browser is a browser is a browser. Tried Firefox, didn't find enough worth the effort to switch from my default browser. If IE is upgraded, hooray. Likely, I'll be pestered forever until I finally download the upgrade.

10 October 2006
Well, it supports PNG transparency so I don't have to worry about my avatar looking like monkeys' doings. There is also the minor point that some websites still don't work properly on other browsers. That they're obviously designed by incompetents is besides the point.

On which point, every web designer in the world wants you to upgrade as IE7 is much more standards compliant.

10 October 2006
Originally Posted by RuinedMessiah: A browser is a browser is a browser. Tried Firefox, didn't find enough worth the effort to switch from my default browser. If IE is upgraded, hooray. Likely, I'll be pestered forever until I finally download the upgrade.

I didn't care much for Firefox, and in fact, it screwed up my system a bit and crashed often, till I uninstalled it. I'm definitely happier now.

10 October 2006
Yeah I have this weird problem with needing the websites I veiw to actually work.

10 October 2006
Downloaded it this morning. First impressions :

- Renders as fast (read:slower than FF) as IE6 (I am on a Core2 Duo with 2Gb)
- TABS!
- RSS Feeds have a prominent place.
- Looks clean in style.
- Websites I made, or others, render the same. A good thing.
- Tries to appear safe (Phishing warnings, Security dialogs etc.)

So it is a good thing. I havent looked into the webstandard compliancy. Anyone got a good link on that for webdevelopers?

10 October 2006
In terms of webstandards it does support CSS 2 better.. but it is far from perfect, firefox and especially Opera handle these things allot better... this is porbably because microsoft has like an 8 year old gap to fill where they pretty much have pissed off every webdeveloper around.

Anyway still i am glad they finally have done something on IE as there are allot of non techie people which will get this release through automatic update and who knows.. maybe when the majority of people will have this installed we can finally use transparent png's and don't need IE hacks anymore

10 October 2006
I been using IE7 for awhile. Less pop up and less (a few second) system freeze like firefox. My only issue is the floating text search...I like firefox where it's place in the bottom bar. Other than that, I'm sold on IE7.

Last edited by Saurus : 10 October 2006 at 09:18 PM.

10 October 2006

You're missing the point, the majority of surfers still use IE and hence web developers need to conform to it. With every update, it always changes something in their CSS output or layout or something. This might not matter to you being an end user, but for all the other professionals who do it for their life, it's more than a shrug of the shoulders.

10 October 2006
It's weird, what's going on with Microsoft?
Vista and ie7 seem to me as less of an evolution and more of a debatable upgrade.
An OS with bad OpenGL support and upgrades that are slower than previous versions.

I remember when I did some programming for them, and things just kept getting better
I hope they don't get succeeded (?)
Notice how people like Apple and Redhat are waiting on the sidelines..
Are they going to pounce?

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

10 October 2006
Is there any kind of Mouse Gesture function on IE7? It's fantastic function specially when using tablet pen.

Like this one on Opera.
http://www.opera.com/products/desktop/mouse/

Thread Closed share thread