Editorial: Sony PS3 to outsell Xbox 360, Wii: Japan publisher

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2006
Editorial: Sony PS3 to outsell Xbox 360, Wii: Japan publisher

Quote:
"Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news). may fall behind rivals in the initial phase of the next-generation game console race, but is likely to grab the top spot eventually, Japan's top video game magazine publisher, Enterbrain, said on Friday. "

>>LINK<<

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

10 October 2006
I think its a given PS3 will beat out the 360. But the Wii too? Even I think thats a bit of a strech. Though if theyre basing this on repeat history I guess my question would be -Has the PS2 outsold both the GC and XB1?

10 October 2006
Originally Posted by EnlightenedPixel: I think its a given PS3 will beat out the 360. But the Wii too? Even I think thats a bit of a strech. Though if theyre basing this on repeat history I guess my question would be -Has the PS2 outsold both the GC and XB1?

By far, and then some.
http://www.vgcharts.com/page2.html
You can combine XBOX and GC, double that number and PS2 still comes out on top. This won't be the case this time around though, I can see Wii taking a very huge chunk of the pie, 360 is selling worse than the original XBOX did, but I guess Microsoft will do something to change that.

10 October 2006
Wow. Those numbers are a lot bigger than I thought they would be. Ok, yeah, I see their point now. Even if half as many people bought a PS3 because of its " super high price" ,which is now negated by the fact the XB360- HD-DVD addon is an additional $200, it would technicaly still sell more than both of the compedators individualy.

10 October 2006
Originally Posted by tozz: 360 is selling worse than the original XBOX did, but I guess Microsoft will do something to change that.

I'm quite surprised by both of these figures - I thought, judging by the quality of the impending 360 releases and other stuff happening:

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/x06/x0...mary-203653.php

...that the Xbox 360 would perform well against the competition? Man, I need to start paying attention to what's happening......

10 October 2006
Originally Posted by EnlightenedPixel: Wow. Those numbers are a lot bigger than I thought they would be. Ok, yeah, I see their point now. Even if half as many people bought a PS3 because of its " super high price" ,which is now negated by the fact the XB360- HD-DVD addon is an additional $200, it would technicaly still sell more than both of the compedators individualy.
Not to mention if BD becomes the dominant format, 360 owners would have to fork out more $$ for a BD drive addon, though of course Sony would be in a worse position should the opposite happens.

Actually, 360 might be more expensive than PS3 considering it only comes with a 20gig HDD. With all the music, demo, videos, mods, games, expansions etc etc. available for download, how soon before you need to buy an extra 20gig HDD priced at $100?

10 October 2006
Originally Posted by danshewan: I'm quite surprised by both of these figures - I thought, judging by the quality of the impending 360 releases and other stuff happening:

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/x06/x0...mary-203653.php

...that the Xbox 360 would perform well against the competition? Man, I need to start paying attention to what's happening......

I think that's what Microsoft did wrong with 360, played the waiting game. They were first, by a year, and what have they done during that year? Hyped what is gonna come next. There's no doubt about that sales will pick up when some major titles are coming out, but the question is if it will be too late or not.

10 October 2006
I think it's still a bit early to call anyone a true winner yet. Let's put it this way.

Microsoft has plenty of promises and yet has deluivered on very, very few. Everything slated is for 2007 and beyond which, given the situation is that they are no longer alone in the marketplace, is a rather poor situation to put yourself in. Especially considering most of the short term releases are multiconsole and on most of them, the PS3 version is turning out to be superior. Microsoft has spent their time catering to the hardcore and that's a bad idea in general to base your console around. There needs to be more casual games outside of Xbox Live Arcade for slack to start being picked up.

Sony has the hardware lined up and some nice games but most of their killer lineup is placed around the time of 360s killer lineup. While some parts of the launch lineup is impressive, other parts just feel rather tacked on and it's what Sony accomplishes in March-May that will determine it's appeal to outside of the casual market. Fortunately, both PSP and PS2 are selling well (well, PSP is flopping in Japan but still) so Sony has the ability to cater to the casual market until they are ready for the huge price difference to upgrade. Under Sony's development focus, there are 190+ games beinhg deved. Over 100 are for PS3 and over 50 are for PSP. Look at how many games that leaves for a console that the other two companies would have abandoned. PS2 is gonna be the unstopable cash cow for at least another year, if not more. Sony's best choice is trying to get as much money from PS2 as possible.

And finally, Nintendo. Their focus is, by far, the most casual gamer friendly which is a good thing. For me, what they needed was a Mario at launch (yes, this makes the fourth consecutive Nintendo console to launch without a Mario game that isn't a port) and I know several others who are waiting for that as well. Because the biggest thing they have for Wii, at the moment, is Zelda and many hardcore GCN fans are frankly pissed at Nintendo's treatment of the GCN fanbase in regards to this game. Nintendo also seems to be falling into the same bad habit that PSP did, and that is accepting ports of games with just a little Wii functionality added to the gameplay. Many of the launch games are merely Wiimakes and plenty more in the future hold the same fate. If anything, Nintendo will have more difficulty convincing casuals to buy a Wii if most of what they are dropping is simply Xbox and GCN upgraded titles with minigames and a new controller in tow. Nintendo needed to learn what made the DS suddenly go from being a rather doomed console (sales were drastically slow, PSP was outselling in all territories they were battling in, software sales were slow) to the handheld market dominator. That is unique titles custom made for the abilities of the DS and not simple ports or half-assed concepts (pokemon dash... nuff said). The unique stuff needs to come soon or I can see hype dying down for Wii just as quickly as it did for Gamecube.

All in all, all three have major holes in their longterm battle plans and I'd like to see them make corrections.

10 October 2006
Maybe they can give me tonights lotto numbers too? They seem to be able to predict the future.

10 October 2006
the Dreamcast will never die, Nintendo will always be #1, and this Turbografx-16 thing looks hot...

anything can happen during this generation. it's easy to look at history and base you decision on numbers, but there is to many wildcards this time around.

we will see... one thing is for sure, gamers are going to come out of this war happy!

10 October 2006
Way to early for a "winner", methinks, when the other 2 aren't even on retail yet.
Maybe some people can get a quick buck over idiots by predicting Japan's results, but as much as you'd like to believe Japan is much more saturated with casual gamers with lower software saturation rates- consoles sold would be much less of an issue there if you're comparing worldwide software sales.

10 October 2006
Originally Posted by heavyness: the Dreamcast will never die, Nintendo will always be #1, and this Turbografx-16 thing looks hot...

anything can happen during this generation. it's easy to look at history and base you decision on numbers, but there is to many wildcards this time around.

we will see... one thing is for sure, gamers are going to come out of this war happy!

Quoted for agreement.

10 October 2006
think think think

Hey all.
Well, let's think about the stats sells in all three consoles. Even though ps2 sold a lot more, however, it's probably because that console have only 2 control ports to plug in and play. Xbox and GCube both have 4 control ports. So, to play multiplayer mode, we got to buy two console to play 4 player mode. 4 console to play 8 player mode.
2nd, another thing that make ps2 sells more cause we must buy that console again after the dvd rom drive went dead. Probably because we played too much on it. Curse thos rpg games and among other genre. I know, Xbox probably broken down a lot more than PS2 and they did a poor sales on the marke too. Bad Xbox. I think Halo 1 and 2 saved Xbox in most cases. Of course, Halo 3 probably will save 360.
Xbox had cause microsoft a lot of money and 360 will just add more complaint and money to their financial debt. Wait... it did. When it came out, there was a call back. I love their graphic, just not their heavy box and technical problem.
Gcube is a little cute little device that aim for younger audience. So the sales of the console was like that for that reason. But we all have fun with that consoles no matter what age you are. WEE (WII) look promising and I'm going to buy that cheap console over the other 2. Unless my friends make me addiceted to fps or sport frenzy. Wait... that's what WEE is doing. Ok, nuff said.

10 October 2006
Originally Posted by P_T: Not to mention if BD becomes the dominant format, 360 owners would have to fork out more $$ for a BD drive addon, though of course Sony would be in a worse position should the opposite happens.

Actually, 360 might be more expensive than PS3 considering it only comes with a 20gig HDD. With all the music, demo, videos, mods, games, expansions etc etc. available for download, how soon before you need to buy an extra 20gig HDD priced at $100?

just like with the original xb, you'll be able to add extra hdds without paying a price like that.

10 October 2006
Originally Posted by nathaniel5th: Hey all.
Well, let's think about the stats sells in all three consoles. Even though ps2 sold a lot more, however, it's probably because that console have only 2 control ports to plug in and play. Xbox and GCube both have 4 control ports. So, to play multiplayer mode, we got to buy two console to play 4 player mode. 4 console to play 8 player mode.

A multitap solves that problem

Thread Closed share thread