Mike Malinowski rigging videos??

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2006   #1
Mike Malinowski rigging videos??

i was wondering if anyone out there has the mike malinowski riggin videos? i think there was 3 of them all together, i really want the one which demos how to make a forearm twist. If anyone does have them cud u PM me thx. oh and also i was just on mike's site and he doesnt seem to have a copy of them himself so he's askin for them too. Assumin they r the same ones.

Old 10 October 2006   #2
Anyone? also if anyone out there has another tutorial for creating forearm roll i would be very greatful, thx

Old 10 October 2006   #3
Hi John. I don't know what software you are using, but Paul Neale has nice solution for 3ds Max forearm twist rig.
Check his site or his tutorials! I think you can build similar rig in other packages too.
You simply use "orientation" and "look at" constraints to do a bone which follows palm up direction, and then you will build as many "in-between" bones which blend between this bone's rotation and forearm bone's rotation.
I hope this helps!

Last edited by S-S : 10 October 2006 at 10:29 AM.

Old 10 October 2006   #4
thanks s-s, i'm using XSI myself. i have been tryin to have a go myself but no luck so far.

Old 10 October 2006   #5
Hiya,
have you watched Paul Master riggin' class on Alias DVD's....well he does give an easy forearm twist rig an' i've tried it on XSI an' it works...no matter what package you on.
in short its 3-4 joints from the the elbow to the wrist....an' the extra joints are weighted to the forearm Geo ....just how u need it ....an' the trick is to connect the rotations (usually X axis)o' the extra joints with that o' the wrist an' you can adjust the degree o' rotation to form a twist in the Geo, travellin' from the wrist to the elbow..... Its pretty ingenious an' simple an' it works!
cheers

Wip= Character study "Varaha"

Old 10 October 2006   #6
Hiya,
have you watched Paul Theriot Master riggin' class on Alias DVD's....well he does give an easy forearm twist rig an' i've tried it on XSI an' it works...no matter what package you on.
in short its 3-4 joints from the the elbow to the wrist....an' the extra joints are weighted to the forearm Geo ....just how u need it ....an' the trick is to connect the rotations (usually X axis)o' the extra joints with that o' the wrist an' you can adjust the degree o' rotation to form a twist in the Geo, travellin' from the wrist to the elbow..... Its pretty ingenious an' simple an' it works!
cheers

Wip= Character study "Varaha"

Old 10 October 2006   #7
Hi there.

I'm an old college buddy of Mikes. Mike was away from 3D for a while but now has a job making rigs for games.

His new site is here:

http://www.mikesnail.co.uk/

Hope that helps.
Demoreel

Old 10 October 2006   #8
obraxis thx but i've already been to his new site and his videos werent there hence my plee on here lol!

fanger no i havent but i've been watchin the digital tutors riggin in maya version 2 and they have a 2 bone lower arm on that rig for forearm twist. I cant seem to get it to work over in XSI though:( i shall keep tryin though!

Old 10 October 2006   #9
Yes, I too would like mike's videos! I was annoyed when I couldn't get video 3, cos that's the one i wanted.

Anyway, John, how is that forearm twist going? I'm using xsi, and I managed to figure it out (i'm a noob rigger). I tried copying the ideas from that 3dquakers rigging pro demo video. I wish I could buy that set, but alas no cash. I just tried figuring it out using various tutorials around the web. So, I didn't use a second bone, just a series of of cubes that gradually twist using a very simple script. I almost got the bicep roll too but it's not the same as the 3dquakers vid.

I'll gladly help out if you need it, I was pretty excited when i figured how to do the twist. Cheers.

Old 10 October 2006   #10
I would suggest you guys email Mike for them, or ask for him to put them back up
Demoreel

Old 10 October 2006   #11
He's looking for the videos himself. Guess he doesn't have a copy anymore.

Old 10 October 2006   #12
Well, I have a few. There's the frog one, cat one, and dinosaur one.

Then there's two called Part 1 and Part 2. No sound. One looks like legs and hips, the other spine. No arms, though. They must be in another vid.

Old 10 October 2006   #13
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread