German VII c WW2 Submarine

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2006
German VII c WW2 Submarine

I had to delete some of the picture to reduce traffic

Hi there,

this is my WIP 3d model of a german World-War 2 Submarine, the quite famous Type VII c.

I started modelling this beast in my spare time nearly a year ago.
I think i was infected by the Uboot-Virus when i saw the movie Das Boot for the first time and when i started using 3D Programms one of my first models was a Uboot of course.. or at least something which was supposed too look like one... maybe i will show it within this thread when the new model is finished :-)

So i started modelling this type of submarine for the 3rd time already, I've used Max 4.2 on a Athlon 2000 mhz with 1gb Ram.

The first object i've modeled was the 8,8 cm gun in front of the conning tower. I tried to keep the mesh as clean and lowpoly as possible..

I've textured the gun and all the other parts with 2 tileable Textures which are pretty Wip and responsible for visible tiling everywhere on the whole submarine. I wanted to have tileable stuff to get sharp textures in closeups without having to use procedual textures. The steeltexture is multiplied with a colormap and blendet with the rustmap using a texturemask.

In the end i will collapse and rearrange all UVW's to one big texturepage so the whole ship will use only one material using only a few textures.

The next step was modelling the 2,2 cm Anti Aircraft Gun on the conning tower. Again i've tried to keep the polycount low as the rest of the ship would be complex enough to keep my old pc busy..

The next part was the conning tower itself, the first part of the submarines hull. This was actually the first time i realised what pain drilling all that holes would be!

It took ages to clean up the mess max 4.2 left after extruding complex shapes oder using shape merge.

Then i started modelling the hull. At the moment the hull is quite lowpoly but pretty clean so i can add new edges manually.. meshsmooth wouldnt work out properly with all the holes i guess.. Like on the towers deck modelling and cleaning up all the holes was really tough and took quite a long time. Here is a wireframe picture which shows about 1/5 of the deck. Note the hole for the conning tower to be attached an welded, except for a few small detail objects the whole hull is one single weldet element, no part was simply put upon another

At the moment i am working on the 2 large hull textures for colour/brightness and rust distribution.. If iam satisfied with the look i will have to change the textures of the tower as well, at the moment they look quite different.. than i will have to add many very small details in the deck. Afterwards i will work on the pressure-cylinder inside the hull and the frames around it... so here is the latest version of my submarine:

Please let me know what you think about the ship while i continue working

Last edited by Powermaennchen : 01 January 2007 at 12:31 PM.

10 October 2006
i didnt want to mess up the text above with the large picture, so here it is in a new post

Last edited by Powermaennchen : 01 January 2007 at 12:31 PM.

10 October 2006
can't wait to see more!

10 October 2006
Crazy efforts man... frontpage stuff! Also a nice change to the CG characters you see all over the place (which I also happen to do a lot edit: not on the frontpage, mind you).

Btw, please fix all the " codes... I stopped reading because of that

I like the thoughts you put into the mapping technique. Why do you want to merge all parts together, though? For weldseams (as in real-world metal welding)?

But anyway, the result so far is stunning. I guess all that's left to say is: Keep up the good work!

Last edited by wanzai : 10 October 2006 at 02:19 PM.

10 October 2006
incredible texturing!

10 October 2006
Thank you all,
@wanzai: Mh,.. strange.. stupid firefox.. ich hope i've found all the quotation marks and deleted them

Right now there are 5 different texture pages, one for the tower, one for the hull, one for the anti aircraft gun and one for the main gun. .It won't be much work to put them all together into one page and rearrange the textures in photoshop.. Then i have easy access to all parts of the ship, to distribute the rust equally for example..

Last edited by Powermaennchen : 10 October 2006 at 03:02 PM.

10 October 2006
Amazing work, with a lot of details and nice textures

10 October 2006
Thank you, here is another rendering, a closeup of the conning tower

Last edited by Powermaennchen : 01 January 2007 at 12:32 PM.

10 October 2006
the scratches on the body (or whatever the correct term is) look great

10 October 2006
Looks very nice... texturing is great!

Facebook page: Maksan3D

10 October 2006
this is amazing! it seems to me that there is a liking for german ww2 stuff, my tank, munin's tank, and this. hmmmm, maybe cgtalk should organize a ww2 modeling war. that would be kinda neat i think. i cant wait to see some updates.

Current Projects:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5305665#post5305665

10 October 2006
Love the detail, textures are awesome.

My only crit is the water marks coming from the ballast tanks, they are all very straight down almost giving it a stretched UVW look at first. maybe if a few of these had a angle to them as Im guessing when the sub was on the surface water would be trickling out but due to the boats movement the water may go down and be pushed towards the stern of the boat as it dripped.

5 Stars from me.

10 October 2006
This is magnificent. The texturing is just badass.

10 October 2006
Looks really good!

10 October 2006
Thank you all very much!

@Chems: Yes, you are right,.. I will definitely work on the textures for the discolouring and the rust distribution as they are not "logically correct at the moment.. The rust for example should not be deep under the waterline

@Schoenrock: Now that you mention it, WW2 models seems to be quite popular.. i will check out your tank

Thread Closed share thread