Rein puts dev cost for Gears of War at $10m

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2006
Rein puts dev cost for Gears of War at $10m

Donít know if this has been posted.

http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=20176

"Speaking at the London Games Summit, Rein said that it's taken a team of 20 - 30 people around two years to complete work on GOW - arguing that despite claims by some industry figures, it's still possible to create next-gen titles using medium sized teams and without gigantic budgets."

Wow thatís quite amazing, but then again, they do own the Unreal Engine. I guess that did cut out some of the money needed. What do you guys think?

10 October 2006
Im too lazy to read the article. but how is $10M production cost "small" for a video game?
Most of that money had better be going into the pockets of the tallented people working on it and not the execs and sales reps.

10 October 2006
Its small considering how Sony is saying that companies need to spend at least 20-30 million dollars to make a decent game for the next-gen consoles. Mark Rein is call their bullshit. Not to mention he also said Sony's "Next-gen doesnt start till we say so" was bullshit as well. More or less Mark has been pulling the bullshit flag on Sony a lot these last couple of days.

10 October 2006
Originally Posted by GreyWolf_OPS: Its small considering how Sony is saying that companies need to spend at least 20-30 million dollars to make a decent game for the next-gen consoles. Mark Rein is call their bullshit. Not to mention he also said Sony's "Next-gen doesnt start till we say so" was bullshit as well. More or less Mark has been pulling the bullshit flag on Sony a lot these last couple of days.

it depends on the size of your team, 20-30 is a small team. We are pushing 80, I've heard of other studios using even more ppl. How they kept their team to 20-30 is amazing! i would like to know how they did it.

my website www.fatnek.com

10 October 2006
Quote: He said the company was also able to save money by outsourcing to new subsidiary Epic Games China.

I'm thinking that's how.

10 October 2006
Originally Posted by 2mellow: it depends on the size of your team, 20-30 is a small team. We are pushing 80, I've heard of other studios using even more ppl. How they kept their team to 20-30 is amazing! i would like to know how they did it.

I seem to recall one of the guys at Epic saying that they keep the size down by having extremely tallented people working for them. I mean the guy that does their concept art(hawkprey) is just amazing. I mean Epic could be like Digital Domain where its usually senior artists that work there. Or thats what I have heard about DD.

Theres also the fact that they have a couple of well known people in the game industry working under one house. I think that helps out a lot.

10 October 2006
Originally Posted by GreyWolf_OPS: Its small considering how Sony is saying that companies need to spend at least 20-30 million dollars to make a decent game for the next-gen consoles. Mark Rein is call their bullshit. Not to mention he also said Sony's "Next-gen doesnt start till we say so" was bullshit as well. More or less Mark has been pulling the bullshit flag on Sony a lot these last couple of days.

Quote: He said the company was also able to save money by outsourcing to new subsidiary Epic Games China.

I think that has more to do with it.

Also, I have yet to see ANY "next gen" games released on PC or 360 reciently. So we'll just have to see about Sony's claims. I think Nintendo may have something to say about it though. Graphics wise, maybe not, but next-gen interface, yes.

10 October 2006
Originally Posted by GreyWolf_OPS: I seem to recall one of the guys at Epic saying that they keep the size down by having extremely tallented people working for them. I mean the guy that does their concept art(hawkprey) is just amazing. I mean Epic could be like Digital Domain where its usually senior artists that work there. Or thats what I have heard about DD.

Theres also the fact that they have a couple of well known people in the game industry working under one house. I think that helps out a lot.

yeah i don't know about that, epic has talented artist,that does help with team size, i know a couple of them, but to create that amount of quality art takes alot of people, the outscoucing that was mentioned above would be how you would keep a team to 20-30 people on a next gen title. Our ps2 games were made with 20-30. maybe i should just call my friend and ask. Maybe i should read the article

my website www.fatnek.com

10 October 2006
Who gives a rat's tuckus how much was spent on the game and how much they saved with a small team if the game in the end turns out to be crap. Now if it gets reviewed highly and gets the 360 really rolling, then lets start a praise thread for their small numbers. Till then who knows and why should we care.....

10 October 2006
Talking

Originally Posted by Mr. Positive: Who gives a rat's tuckus how much was spent on the game and how much they saved with a small team if the game in the end turns out to be crap. Now if it gets reviewed highly and gets the 360 really rolling, then lets start a praise thread for their small numbers. Till then who knows and why should we care.....

Way to put a Positive Spin on it Mr. Positive.

10 October 2006
Well, it's an accurate spin. Companies love to talk about how much went into games. Like how much money was funneled into Godfather or even talking about how much money was throw at Final Fantasy XII. Likewise, when a game is produced on the cheap, they love talking about that as well.

Money invested in a game does NOT equal a quality game. Period. I think the following quote from Ted Price in regards to Ratchet & Clank gadgetry sums it up best.

"Sure, we have tons of ideas and many even get far along but not every one makes the game. In fact, we chop down a whole lot of ideas just by asking this questions. Is X fun to play/shoot?"

I mean, hell. I'm currently working with a small group of people right now making a game in our freetime. If it works out the way we hope, it will be a fun japanese style RPG with an interesting take on the genre. If it ships, it will have been produced for slightly under $10,000 since that's the price of the tools we are using. I mean, hell. Do you think the empire of Lumines was built with millions?

10 October 2006
Originally Posted by RuinedMessiah: Well, it's an accurate spin. Companies love to talk about how much went into games. Like how much money was funneled into Godfather or even talking about how much money was throw at Final Fantasy XII. Likewise, when a game is produced on the cheap, they love talking about that as well.

Money invested in a game does NOT equal a quality game. Period. I think the following quote from Ted Price in regards to Ratchet & Clank gadgetry sums it up best.

"Sure, we have tons of ideas and many even get far along but not every one makes the game. In fact, we chop down a whole lot of ideas just by asking this questions. Is X fun to play/shoot?"

I mean, hell. I'm currently working with a small group of people right now making a game in our freetime. If it works out the way we hope, it will be a fun japanese style RPG with an interesting take on the genre. If it ships, it will have been produced for slightly under $10,000 since that's the price of the tools we are using. I mean, hell. Do you think the empire of Lumines was built with millions?

If you read the interview, Mark talks about how he was pulling the bullshit flad on the 20 - 30 million needed for nextgen games. He stated that they pulled off the Gears with less than 10 million. He made the statement so developers know that the budgets don't necessarily need to be increased to the expectations that Sony said for next-gen development.That was his main purpose for speaking up.

10 October 2006
Originally Posted by Mr. Positive: Who gives a rat's tuckus how much was spent on the game and how much they saved with a small team if the game in the end turns out to be crap. Now if it gets reviewed highly and gets the 360 really rolling, then lets start a praise thread for their small numbers. Till then who knows and why should we care.....

so far, im in the same ballpark. the game, while looking very nicely done on the artistic side, still feels like its nothing new. maybe its new to the unreal engine, but the way it plays, the things you do in that game is nothing new to even games that have been out for several years now. just download the videos from gametrailers. if there was something super new to the game that would really give us a new experience, then it would have been shown off by now. to me it seems that epic and microsofts intentions were almost entirely based on visuals, and a fake sense of "maturity" level. ( some of the dialogue in the game seems soo juvenile, its not funny )

i have the same feeling about assasins creed. while it looks like an amazing demo, if the game doesnt spice things up with VERY different situations and a good story, then it will feel just like the prince of persia games. ( ie. a good game demo for a few hours, but overall a very boring game due to lack of creativity throughout the game, the abundance of hand holding by the games camera system, the fact that its entirely linear, very repetitive in nature, and no great story holding the whole thing together ).

( i kinda wish that shadow of the colossus looked on the same level ( quality wise ) as assasins creed though.

Last edited by ambient-whisper : 10 October 2006 at 03:12 AM.

10 October 2006
Originally Posted by GreyWolf_OPS: I seem to recall one of the guys at Epic saying that they keep the size down by having extremely tallented people working for them. I mean the guy that does their concept art(hawkprey) is just amazing.

GOW's main concept artist (at least for the enviroment) has been John Wallin: www.johnwallin.net

10 October 2006
James Hawkins (hawkprey) really gave the look of gow as far as characters , vehicles, and weapons go (same for UT2k7) . Not sure if John Wallin made much more than the enviro concept pieces we saw some time ago.

But yeah they seem to have a great workflow at Epic, the GDC conference was very interesting, they do a lot of reuse of elements. Also the concept stage is much more advanced than in usual video game production, hawkprey makes most of his design work in 3D, tests how it works in animation and all, and then the modelers can work super fast on that...

Thread Closed share thread