question on casting colored shadows\refractions

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2006   #1
question on casting colored shadows\refractions

I am creating multi-colored text and want them to cast shadows or refractions onto a surface behind them. Kind of like the way that light cast through a stained glass window will tint whatever it hits on the other side.

is this possible, what would 'you' do.

Scott

Old 10 October 2006   #2
Colored reflections and refractions

Initially I would end up switching software to something more capable of highend 3d computer graphics and animation. But if you insist on using EI to achieve this effect. Can you post an image so I can see where you are at currently. Also do you know what level render you are at right now?

Old 10 October 2006   #3
Originally Posted by scottfox: is this possible, what would 'you' do.

Sure, it´s possible. i would check the tutorials on your disk, there´s one which does exactly what your looking for (stained glass window project).

Hope this helps a bit.

Old 10 October 2006   #4
Here's a quick example I knocked out in under 5 minutes. Just "save as..."

http://www.funnylittlemen.co.uk/Temp/blueball.prj.zip

Old 10 October 2006   #5
a bit different... but i thuink this might help also...

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=385480

Old 10 October 2006   #6
Originally Posted by ratfacecorvette: Initially I would end up switching software to something more capable of highend 3d computer graphics and animation. But if you insist on using EI to achieve this effect. Can you post an image so I can see where you are at currently. Also do you know what level render you are at right now?

Electric Image IS a highend 3D computer graphics and animation package and is capable of this effect. There is no reason to question or potentially insult EIAS users for their choice of software. Further comments of this nature will not be tolerated and will result in a recommendation for being banned from CGTalk. This is your first and final warning of this nature.

Previsualization Society - Founder / Secretary
Independent - Sr. Previs & Layout Supervisor

Last edited by Vizfizz : 10 October 2006 at 03:57 PM.

Old 10 October 2006   #7
Question

Thanks Brian

That was a strange, seemingly ignorant, post from that guy.

Craig

Old 10 October 2006   #8
Its really inconsiderate and rude to go into someone's forum and tell them to "switch" software. Its even worse to tell it to someone who is potentially either new or inexperienced with EIAS and say "EI can't do that." It simply shows his ignorance and its against CGTalk rules to pander software switching.

Previsualization Society - Founder / Secretary
Independent - Sr. Previs & Layout Supervisor

Old 10 October 2006   #9
It's his first and only post. So he went through the trouble of signing up just to troll a bit. Quite sad.

Old 10 October 2006   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread