Challenge WIP: Bassam Kurdali

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2001   #1
Challenge WIP: Bassam Kurdali

Got the friendly face, big hands and feet, tail, wings (sorta- I don't think I'm adding the membrane). I'm working on adding in more details to the body and face (I'm using boxmodelling so the LOD will increase depending on time- I'll at least make it consistent throughout). I'm also doing the prosthetic (not shown here).
To do: Pirate costume,prop, rigging and lighting.

Peace out

Old 12 December 2001   #2
very diferent and very cool

Old 12 December 2001   #3
whooaaaa!!!
are u using blender on him???
very very cool!!!!!
i like it a lot man!!!
btw hows blender modeler?
keep it up

Old 12 December 2001   #4
you got me, Loganarts. Yup. Using Blender (I hope this doesn't disqualify me ) Didn't think anyone would recognize the interface from the screenshot.
Blender's modeller? hard to say because I don't have that much to compare it to. Previously I used patch modelling in hash which makes comparison too 'apples to oranges' to make sense. I like it better than Nendo's modeller. (personal preference- interactive subdivision surfaces number one reason) with reasent releases box modelling has become very feasable though a bit more labourious than some other packages. No knife tool= select edges to subdivide, subdivide them, then merge tris to quads, rinse repeat. Its pretty fast but not automatic.

Old 12 December 2001   #5
Really good, except for the sharp middle line. (which hopefully will be removed)

Old 12 December 2001   #6
Yeah, that's totally blender. I got 7th place in the old GFXartist.com/Blender contest :( Nice job though, especially with blender (that interface completely eludes me).

Old 12 December 2001   #7
wolf: the middle line is 'cuz I haven't welded the two halves yet. I've actually added more detail and done a cheezy test radiosity render (with the halfs joined) but mediaone's ftp is acting up and I am saved the embarrassment of showing it
rendermonkey23: could I see your image anywhere? I remember seeing the contest or something about it, but I wasn't using blender at the time. The interface is tricky somewhat- there are a lot of hotkey-only operations that are barely documented anywhere, and many buttons that are documented nowhere... I still haven't figured out what half the radiousity buttons do (hence the cheeziness of my attempt) I'll try putting it up if mediaone relents.

Old 12 December 2001   #8
update

well here's an update

and:

sorry for the quick radiousity solution. Blame impatience and my unfamiliarity with the radiosity buttons(this was my first try)
things done: added detail to the face and legs, feet, thumbs and collar bone.
ps: the radiosity render is older than the full body normal one.

Last edited by bassaminator : 12 December 2001 at 06:29 PM.

Old 12 December 2001   #9
nice! I like it alot, the form is beautiful.
But say, are u perticipating in the Pascal Challange??? You should, the character is supploed to be slim, but you need a pirate, with an item and a prosthetic part! Just add that, and youre golden!

Old 12 December 2001   #10
hey bassa,

man im loving ur model.
the way u create the forearm with that twisted muscles is great!
also the feet looks very nice and the friendly look is..well...friendly
cant wait to see the props u gonna add to it and i must say again:
this challenge gonna be tuff!!!!!
keep it up
loggie

Old 12 December 2001   #11
Y-Guy: thanks! yup, its for the Pascal Challenge.
loganarts: thanks again- I'm somewhat dreading the mechanical stuff (prosthetic+prop) as I kinda suck at that. And I'm an engineer by trade- go figure.

Old 12 December 2001   #12
lol, you sould think of something though... although I wouldent think it would be the best addition though. The organics are beautiful.

Old 12 December 2001   #13
looking good ! a suggestion to help with the prostetics or mechanical prop stuf ! I thiinkt the wings throw some wires around them give them a mesh type of sin to the membrane etc i think it would look cool

Old 12 December 2001   #14
Good thinking cerreto. The wings could be unique place for prosthetics. Maybe the side of the face...

Old 12 December 2001   #15
Thanks for the suggestions folks. I guess my usual 'organic' aproach' isn't working here (start from a cube and shape/grow it) I'll have to sit and think about exactly what I'm trying to accomplish and how. Your suggestions both seem cool (and there's really no reason not to do both- prosthetics in the face and mechanical wings.)
Back to the old sketch pad and pencil (my previous approach: model blocky looking ugly mechanical things then delete them in disgust when I realize that they fit well neither with each other or the character.)
Again thanks.

share thread