Setting "natural" position of bones with Mocca

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2006
Setting "natural" position of bones with Mocca

I'm not sure it's the right terminology, but what I'm looking to do is to be able to set a "natural" position for the bones in a skeleton. That is, make it somehow so that if I totally screw up my skeleton putting it in a weird pose or something, it'd be nice just to press a button to automatically put it back in some default pose (i.e. a standard T pose). Is this possible to do with Mocca? Sorry if I'm not getting across, this is my first experience with character animation, though it is turning out to be quite fun. Thanks.

09 September 2006
i'm sure there's a better way, but i tend to record all the ik controlls and sliders at a neg frame ie -15 frames, and the start the animating at frame 0. you can do this by "edit project settings" under the edit menu, set the min frames to -15. then once you record your "safety keys" you can edit it back to 0.

09 September 2006
ther must be a better way, but i tend to record the ik controllers and sliders at a neg frame number, ie -15 frames.

you can do this but using "edit project settings", under the edit menu, set the min frames to -15, record your "safety frames", and the edit the min frames back to 0 and start animaing. the keys will always be there to cut and paste as you will.

09 September 2006
ther must be a better way, but i tend to record the ik controllers and sliders at a neg frame number, ie -15 frames.

you can do this but using "edit project settings", under the edit menu, set the min frames to -15, record your "safety frames", and the edit the min frames back to 0 and start animaing. the keys will always be there to cut and paste as you will.

09 September 2006
Howdy,

Actually, since you have Mocca, you also have Pose2Pose and you can save a T pose with that.

Adios,
Cactus Dan

cactus3d.com, cactus3d-Plugins, CD Character Plugins forum

09 September 2006
Thanks Dan, I'll try that when I get home.

09 September 2006
what I uaually do is make a copy of the skeleton, then set up an expresso with 2 link-lists and an iterator (transfer local roatation from the copy to the skeleton of all bones) , all in an Xgroup activated by a boolean userdata taht can be used in HUD as a switch.

You can then reset the pose anytime you want and it is fast to setup (if you now a bit Expresso)

Last edited by wuensch : 09 September 2006 at 07:48 AM.

09 September 2006
p2p is the best choice. I often do a negative keyframe too, mostly because of cloth or hair simulations that will also be negative. one thing to not is too keep the negtive keyframe on its own sequence so its not consideed as part of any loop.

09 September 2006
Originally Posted by wuensch: what I uaually do is make a copy of the skeleton, then set up an expresso with 2 link-lists and an iterator (transfer local roatation from the copy to the skeleton of all bones) , all in an Xgroup activated by a boolean userdata taht can be used in HUD as a switch.

You can then reset the pose anytime you want and it is fast to setup (if you now a bit Expresso)

Well, this is an alternative and interesting way to do the job...will u have the time to set up a picture tutorial on how to set the Xpresso for who doesn't have the knowledge ? it will be a real gift....

SELFMADE PIXELS[/font]
[/color][/b]

09 September 2006
its easier to post an example.
here it is.
This one uses the local Matrix (scale/Pos/Rot) to transfer data, but you can of course use only Rot or Pos.
Look at the Attribute manager when activating a link-list node to find the dragdrop-list.

The trick is to transfer the local data only so that the Root-Object can be freely moved.
What makes this solution interesting is that you have complete control over what data you want to reset and what not.

Oliver
Attached Files
File Type: zip LinkListBoneReset.zip (8.8 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by wuensch : 09 September 2006 at 01:05 PM.

09 September 2006
Thanks Oliver, as I have no Xpresso knowledge. I haven't gotten to try any of these out yet as my computer is occupied at the moment, but I'll try out all the suggestions. Thanks guys!

09 September 2006
Well, thanks also by me, Oliver...i'm another one who has poor knowledge of Xpresso (a lot of people says it's really easy to use, the difficult part is to find time to ease with Xpresso).
Maybe someone could set an Xpresso to increase duration of day time in the same number of hours...

SELFMADE PIXELS[/font]
[/color][/b]

09 September 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread