Best Mac Price/Performance for c4d and FCP?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2006
Best Mac Price/Performance for c4d and FCP?

I need to start using a Mac for some video/dvd work, oh yeah and also for a program called cinema 4d too.

So i need to buy an economical Mac that can run c4d, FCP stuido for small jobs.

Is the mac mini 1.8ghz duo core up to this challenge? I went to 3dfluff and saw the cinebench specs and the mini duo core seems like a good performer.

Any suggestions?

09 September 2006
It's not just rendering you have to be concerned about though but also viewport performance, so check the OGL scores too. The Mac Mini can run these apps just fine, but it only has a single DVI output (so only one monitor) from it's integrated gfx and a single firewire 400 port (though that's probably enough for what you're dealing with), so really the graphics viewport navigation speed is where you'll be hit the most, having said that I've been using an old beat up G4 for years quite happily and whatever the mini has it'll be better than this .

09 September 2006
in a way those 24inch imacs look sweet because of screen size..whether they can hold their own on viewport stuff anybody know?
alot more expensive than a mini though.

i've got a question for anyone has a macbook pro 17inch....hows that perform ogl?

Henry Moore

09 September 2006
Originally Posted by Per-Anders: It's not just rendering you have to be concerned about though but also viewport performance, so check the OGL scores too. The Mac Mini can run these apps just fine, but it only has a single DVI output (so only one monitor) from it's integrated gfx and a single firewire 400 port (though that's probably enough for what you're dealing with), so really the graphics viewport navigation speed is where you'll be hit the most, having said that I've been using an old beat up G4 for years quite happily and whatever the mini has it'll be better than this .

Thank you Per. A freind of mine is offering to sell me a G4 Quicksilver dual 1ghz. He's claiming that it is a very fast machine. Although he is selling it for ($600.00) close to the price of the mac mini. I don't see how it could be as fast as a duo core 1.8ghz mini. So personally i think the mac mini is a better option, no?

As of this moment i am running c4d on my pc laptop @ 1.4ghz celeron, 128mb video. I don't usually do huge data set scenes. Mostly character work, and hopefully mograph stuff (hence the need for FCP etc.). So, I would say the integrated video in the mac mini would be fine, except if i were to use it for pc games?

Although the mac mini graphics card cannot be updated, correct? Hmm...

09 September 2006
Originally Posted by danb: Thank you Per. A freind of mine is offering to sell me a G4 Quicksilver dual 1ghz. He's claiming that it is a very fast machine.

Sounds like a good friend!

No way is a G4 anywhere near a new mac mini duo core. For a start it's a single processor and the graphics card in a G4 will be years old and therefore very slow. I have a 733 mhz G4 and its cinebench is around the 60 mark . The 1 ghz Quicksilver is around 93 or so. The mac book pro intel core duo 2.0 ghz cinebench is 582. Pretty simple math

see the benchmarks at:

http://www.3dfluff.com/mash/stuff.htm

I'd put your money on the mini if I were you

regards

rich

09 September 2006
Originally Posted by rsquires: Sounds like a good friend!

No way is a G4 anywhere near a new mac mini duo core. For a start it's a single processor and the graphics card in a G4 will be years old and therefore very slow. I have a 733 mhz G4 and its cinebench is around the 60 mark . The 1 ghz Quicksilver is around 93 or so. The mac book pro intel core duo 2.0 ghz cinebench is 582. Pretty simple math

see the benchmarks at:

http://www.3dfluff.com/mash/stuff.htm

I'd put your money on the mini if I were you

regards

rich

Ok thanks. Sounds like an easy decision. I couldn't tell if this "Quicksilver" G4 was something special or whatever. I'm going to go for the mac mini, or maybe i'll hold out for a macbook .

Thanks for everyone's help.

09 September 2006
If it was an MDD G4, I might consider it. The Quicksilver has that 1.5GB RAM limitation which is kinda crappy.

Well, as Per mentioned, you need to consider whatever graphics card your friend has in his G4 in regards to your Cinema work. If you're not doing ridiculously long renders, the GPU in the G4 may make your overall working experience quicker. If it's the stock card, it's nothing special compared to the Mini.

Also consider how much RAM is in his G4. If it's maxed, it's still only 1.5GB, but you'll have 1.5GB immediately rather than shelling out more $. I recommend datamemm.com for inexpensive RAM if you go Mini.

Having said that, I had a dual 867MHz G4 and traded up to a dual 2.5 G5. The difference in render time was huge. A 1.8 core duo Mini won't be quite as big a step up, but it will surely be noticeable in render time.

What's your monitor situation like? As mentioned, the 24" iMac would for sure be on my radar. It's a big step up in price, but you could also look at dropping the MacPro down to 2.0 GHz and a 160GB drive for a little over 2Gs. Then you'd be sittin' pretty!

09 September 2006
Hmm. I'm not sure i really need that large a display, do i? Hehe. Just starting to get into mograph so maybe i do?

My freinds G4 is the mdd with dual 1ghz processors, 1.5ghz ram, stock ati card. To tell you the truth its an old computer so i'd rather have something newer.

I think its a good idea to start with a lower budget mac, because i am just beginning to get into the mac side of things. If i recieve more work then i'll look into a G5.

I thought that all rendering was done by the cpu and that the gpu was just for viewport navigation?

In regards to video (editing and dvd creation) what does the rendering for that? CPU or GPU?

09 September 2006
As I understand it, rendering is CPU/ram, viewport is GPU (primarily). I just mean if you spend most of your time modeling and less rendering, you may not want the limited GPU in a Mini.

The MDD (Mirrored Drive Door) is a different machine than the Quicksilver. MDD's supported 2GB of RAM and up to 1.42GHz processors (stock).

Actually, now that I think of (and remember) it, the G4 towers (MDD and QS) were notoriously noisy. Very annoyingly so. It actually is bad enough that I would absolutely go Mini over G4. Funny how I blocked those memories out.

09 September 2006
Originally Posted by danb: ... think its a good idea to start with a lower budget mac, because i am just beginning to get into the mac side of things. If i recieve more work then i'll look into a G5.>>

Dan, not sure if you meant getting a G5, but the G5 based Macs are being replaced by the "Mac Pros" which are adding the intel chips to the older G5 tower case. They might still be selling G5s, but if you were going to buy retail, I'd wait for a new Mac Pro over a G5.

Two friends of mine had the liquid cooling system in the G5 leak and fry the board... was never a fan of putting liquid inside with the electronics...

>>In regards to video (editing and dvd creation) what does the rendering for that? CPU or GPU?
>>

By far the CPU... it's what does the compressing of video, etc. Even Motion and such relies mainly on the CPU to run the real-time effects and filters.

Joe

09 September 2006
Here's a link to some cinebench scores between a DP G5 and a dou core iMac 24" (and some others).

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attach...91&d=1158862230

I work on a DP G4 1GHz machine sometimes and there's no way it's going to be as fast at rendering than the current crop of Macs.

OpenGL display might be another issue though. I thought the mini had integrated video. You can order the iMac 20" with a 256MB graphics card and still get out for under $2K.

09 September 2006
Dont do it, the G4 machines make nice coffee tables but not much else. Absolutely any computer you can buy now, even crappy 300 dells made for mum and dad will be significantly faster than the dual 1gig G4.

09 September 2006
Originally Posted by imashination: Dont do it, the G4 machines make nice coffee tables but not much else. Absolutely any computer you can buy now, even crappy 300 dells made for mum and dad will be significantly faster than the dual 1gig G4.

Hahah, ok i won't buy the G4. I don't need a coffee table anyways.

09 September 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread