How 'Seven Samurai' was saved

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2006

(CNN) -- The process of restoring a classic film -- indeed a film considered one of the greatest in movie history -- conjures up the old joke about how to feed a hungry lion.

The answer: very carefully.

Such was the challenge to the folks at the Criterion Collection when they embarked on a project to reissue Akira Kurosawa's 1954 work "Seven Samurai." The film had been the second the company had ever released on DVD, in 1998, in an edition that duplicated a version the company had put out in the now-defunct laserdisc format.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Mov...urai/index.html

09 September 2006
This is good news. I watched the seven samurai a little while ago on the first dvd released. IT is a masterpeice, but the picture quality...eh. This is good news.

09 September 2006
I picked this one up last week...it's a very fine transfer and another excellent Criterion release.

09 September 2006
Samurai 7 the anime is great never seen Seven Samurai the movie though.

09 September 2006
Originally Posted by Geta-Ve: Samurai 7 the anime is great never seen Seven Samurai the movie though.

Shame shame I know your name. Don't walk.......run and go pick this movie up.

09 September 2006
The intermission is the best part of the 3+ hour long epic.

09 September 2006
Don't be put off by it's length. The entire movie is gripping.

09 September 2006
Agreed ... i remember being locked into it one saturday morning on some obscure channel. Its a masterpiece.

09 September 2006
Its a tru peace of work, it inspired me, this movie even with the length of it is perfect. Would like to see it in bether quality

09 September 2006
simply the best samurai movie ever.

09 September 2006
Never seen it but i'll check it out now since so many people love it ! Ohh and geta I really like 7 Samurai also . It's pretty good for an anime series .

09 September 2006
I wish they would make more movies of this caliber. I first saw this when I was in college, I was luck to be able to see it in a movie theater. Its just a great movie that not only is it shot very very well but the moods, script, and all the rest is just the best.

09 September 2006
Originally Posted by eversor1: I wish they would make more movies of this caliber.

RAN was also good.
and you'd probably like MAGNIFICENT SEVEN too.

09 September 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread