Scaling the layer...?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2006   #1
Scaling the layer...?

Hello!

Just a basic question:

How can I scale the layers without doing any permanent changes to the layer? I mean, if I go to Transform=>Scale and change the scale then Photoshop asks me that do I want to apply the trasformation...How can I make non-permanent changes to the layer...? If I want later to change it again...

THANKS!

Old 09 September 2006   #2
Edit > Transform
or CTRL + T
scale it that way, if you want to keep a back up of that layer just duplicate it and turn off the eyeball (visibility) of it

Old 09 September 2006   #3
Thank you.

Old 09 September 2006   #4
Do you have Photoshop CS2? If so, use smart objects.

Old 10 October 2006   #5
keys

is ctrl t the only way to scale a layer? There dont seem to be any keyboard shortcuts for scaling a layer like there is with moving it. (arrow keys).

It would be nice if there was a scale up or scale down shortcut.

Does anyone know any different?

Old 10 October 2006   #6
ctrl+t is the short way of going to the Edit > Transform menu

Old 10 October 2006   #7
ctrl t and then you have to click on the edges and have to pull it out. its all too fiddly and tiresome. there should be an easier way to do this.

In maya I have ctrl + ash ctrl - shortcuts which scale up and scaled down an object. it seems ludicrous that you cant do this in pshop.

Old 10 October 2006   #8
You don't have to drag the handles, you can use the options toolbar at the top of the screen and either drag your cursor in the boxes or enter values directly.

Old 10 October 2006   #9
erghh, not a very artistic enough method. I was hoping for something more intuitive.

sorry to be a pain, but I think it needs something like the arrow keys for moving.

Old 10 October 2006   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbriggs
erghh, not a very artistic enough method. I was hoping for something more intuitive.

sorry to be a pain, but I think it needs something like the arrow keys for moving.

You can use the arrows to scale. Just highlight the "100%" in the options bar as Frog says and then use up or down arrows to increase or decrease the value. Click the "Maintain Aspect ratio" button if necessary.

You can also hold option whilst using the arrows to have the value jump in 10% increments.

www.
boxstudio.com.au

Old 10 October 2006   #11
brianbriggs, BTW...nice gallery you have there. It huuuuuge!

www.
boxstudio.com.au

Old 10 October 2006   #12
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread