Fringe?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2006
Fringe?

Wondering is anyone has a suggestion about how to model a fringe, as on a bedspread ot a rug, without having to use an undue number of polys, as the fringe has to have some variation in it. I use Max 7, so i don't have the hair feature, which might have worked, As I thought about this, I realized I had never seen an image in which there was any kind of fringe on anything. So maybe it's one of those things that just cost more polys than they're worth.

09 September 2006
What he is the solution ?

Wings3d, Avid Softimage XSI, Autodesk Discreet Combustion, The foundry Nuke

09 September 2006
use texutre with alpha.

09 September 2006
Texture with alpha would be fine, if you were only going to see the bed head on. But the fringe on the sides of the bed, or whatever it was on, would look terribly flat

09 September 2006
Try to map the texture (with alpha) on smaller planes attached to the bed, it will give it a fuller look and you can orient them in slightly different directions, too.
It's a technique used to do hair in a simple way.
Cheers
Monica

3D modeler/3D generalist/texture artist

London UK

site: www.monicataddei.com

09 September 2006
Might there, perhaps, be a tutorial somewhere that would give me a clearer idea of this technique?

09 September 2006
Hi!
that's the only tut I could find, from this site with a funny name .
Just have a quick look at the pictures, especially the last one, to have an idea of how the planes can be used in layers and in different orientations to give you a fuller look.

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/proces...ial/hair_01.htm

3D modeler/3D generalist/texture artist

London UK

site: www.monicataddei.com

09 September 2006
Thanks a million

09 September 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread