Sketchbook Thread of TimonQ

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2006
Sketchbook Thread of TimonQ

Two torso from the new anatomy lesson thread:

079:
VITTORIA, Alessandro
Neptune with Sea-Horse
1580-85
Bronze, height: 50 cm
Victoria and Albert Museum, London

1h+ Starting out with a more difficult pose maybe wasn't the best idea. Main difficulty with this one was that I kept squashing him. I have no idea what's going on with his left hand (he's holding that seahorse in some strange way) so I tried to fill in the blanks based on what I think I see.

069:
BERNINI, Gian Lorenzo
Truth
1645-52
Marble, height 280 cm
Galleria Borghese, Rome

Face got beat with a baceball bat.
Haven't done too much work from photo/digital reference, so I'm trying to be cautious and feel out what my tendencies may be. I'm not a big fan of working from photos (because I always get "that looks like a photo! no good!"), but this is for practice, and that never hurts.
And here's just a little fun sketch. I thought about expanding it to a whole boardroom done in this style

My experience consists of graduating from art school, most courses geared towards 3D, though I krept into life drawing sessions when I could (and there was room) as this sort of stuff has always been quite challenging for me.
All this in Photoshop. Any/all c&c welcome.

WIP's
:

Last edited by TimonQ : 09 September 2006 at 08:17 AM. Reason: ref thumbs added

09 September 2006
couple more, let me know if I'm killing the image with the shading (as opposed to with just the lines...):

033:
MICHELANGELO Buonarroti
Slave (dying)
c. 1513
Marble, height 229 cm
Musée du Louvre, Paris

002:
MICHELANGELO Buonarroti
Bacchus
Marble, height: 203 cm
Museo Nazionale del Bargello, Florence

WIP's
:

Last edited by TimonQ : 09 September 2006 at 08:21 AM. Reason: ref and linework thumbnails added

09 September 2006
TimonQ,

Welcome. You have a nice start to your pieces here. What I would encourage you to do is to aim for more of a rendered look around the area of the torso. Really use this Workshop as a chance to sketch the whole figure, but to render the torso, even if it means doing fewer than 50 pieces. You really want to be able to understand things both at the big shapes level and at the small shapes level, and maximize your opportunity to do so within this group context. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Cheers,

-Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2006
Thanks Rebecca. I'll be sure to work the torso's to a higher degree.

Here's a couple more:

085:
BRACCI, Pietro
Neptune
after 1759
Marble
Piazza di Trevi, Rome

081:
ALGARDI, Alessandro
Beheading of St Paul
c. 1650
Marble, height: 286 cm
San Paolo Maggiore, Bologna

Really liked this one. The twisted poses are just great. Thought it was interesting that the figure here was 6 heads (while so far the other guys have been 7).

WIP's
:

09 September 2006
TimonQ,

Watch the shoulder axes on these two figures. It can really help to draw a horizontal line representing the axes of the shoulders when first drawing the figure. Also watch the width between the spine and each side of the body, particularly on the figure on the left. Mark these widths with small lines and compare the distances to one another.

I would recommend revising these figures vs. moving on to the next - I look forward to your progress!

Cheers,

-Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2006
Thumbs up

You've done a great job with the renderings of the statues (especially #33)... for the paintings, however, try not to worry so much about what else is going on in the painting, since it's just anatomy we're worried about... Also try to check yourself on the values, it seems like some of the tonalities in the Reubens Reproduction are a bit dark. Also, on the crouched figure on the left, take a look at the curve of the back, and as Rebecca said, the axis of the shoulders. A few minor adjustments would really kick that piece up a bit!

Great work,
Gracie
OMM Live Replays - watch me doodle

09 September 2006
Thanks for the comments. Here's the Rubens again. I adjusted the shoulder angles, lightened up some of the overly dark areas and made a few other adjustments.

Here's another piece I was working on before checking the thread

075:
BANDINELLI, Baccio
Laocoön
Marble
Galleria degli Uffizi, Florence

WIP's
:

09 September 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread