rsquires
Expert

portfolio
Richard Squires
designer/director
reg
Melbourne, Australia

best files for shake

I am trying to output multipass images and wanted to know which format favours Shake. I have tried IFF and openExr with no luck. The ones that have worked are 16bit psd files but they tend to get quite large. What do seasoned Cinema4d/Shake users use? I want to output depth, normals, and multipass elements for compositing in Shake later on.

regards

rich

Old 09-14-2006, 02:47 AM   #2
Tiziano
soltanto nella mia mente

Which version of C4d do you have?

OpenEXR works for me.

Check out this thread and the link to a Shake script with in:
http://www.vfxtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6517

Last edited by Tiziano : 09-14-2006 at 03:06 AM.

Old 09-14-2006, 05:03 AM   #3
rsquires
Expert

portfolio
Richard Squires
designer/director
reg
Melbourne, Australia

cheers

I'll look into it

reg

Old 09-14-2006, 01:47 PM   #4
Tiziano
soltanto nella mia mente

Just a note about that link and the script therein. Right around the same time I installed the script, Shake began acting strange and not opening at all. I dug through the files, found one of the ones related to the script and deleted it. Shake then worked fine. Trouble is, I can't remember exactly which file it was. I would suggest tagging the files somehow, just in case you have to throw one out.

Also, I'm in Shake 4.1. This one 'may' have OpenEXR support all on its own already.

Regarding IFF files. Shake only seems to recognize those supported by Maya. The old Amiga versions don't seem to work. My guess is that C4d generates the old ones.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:58 AM   #5
rsquires
Expert

portfolio
Richard Squires
designer/director
reg
Melbourne, Australia

Cool I got open EXR to work and it seems great. Basically it's a high dynamic image without the huge file size which is great. Now I want to add a z pass to the open exr file that's output and can't work out what I need to do at the cinema end to do this. Cinema doesn't seem to output rgbaz images. I can render out a depth pass I guess and plumb it in some other way as I want a normal pass, and environment pass too, but it would be good to have the depth info in one place.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful. I tried multi pass and it didn't work.

regards

rich

Old 09-16-2006, 01:14 AM   #6
Tiziano
soltanto nella mia mente

Well I waited around a little to see if anyone else would help out and so far no one has. So, here's my best shot. Just know that I've only had Shake since the price drop.

Like you, I can't get C4d to export rgbaz images.

But, with the depth pass exported as an OpenEXR sequence I am able to load that into Shake. The result is a multicolored LSD kind of thing. Not sure how that's going to help us however.

Tutorial 3 in the Shake Tutorial Manual might have some answers. I think our salvation lays somewhere in the reorder and copy nodes.

Perhaps this will lead to an answer but so far I'm stumped.

Edit:
Just going through my store of archived tutes (most of which I've yet to view ) and found this:
http://www.cmivfx.com/m/AOC_snow_shakeH264.mov
It won't help with the present problem but it does have some good, quick info.
The main tute part of his site is here:
http://www.cmivfx.com/tutorials.asp

Last edited by Tiziano : 09-16-2006 at 01:29 AM.

Old 09-16-2006, 02:46 AM   #7
cbowyer
Frequenter
portfolio
Cameron Bowyer
Proprietor
Carbon Digital Media and Ogogpogo Games Corp
Summerland, Canada

I am currently taking the Shake 101 coure at fxPHD.com Our next cass will deal specifically with using unpremultiplied images rendered out of a 3d app. If i can glean anything that can help out on this thread I will post it. I'm also anxious to see what C4D and Shake can do in the 32-bit world.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:35 AM   #8
acid2002
Frequenter

portfolio
derek hillier
Derek Hillier
London, United Kingdom

Shake

I found this for the Maya work flow not sure if it works for c4d

http://www.averpil.com/fredrik/inde...=tutorials&id=1

Cheers

Derek

Old 09-18-2006, 11:04 AM   #9
rsquires
Expert

portfolio
Richard Squires
designer/director
reg
Melbourne, Australia

Thanks for the replies. I have done a few tests with open EXR and I like it. What's great is that it's a file that is in float space, so a reflection pass behaves like an HDRI image in C4D. This is really cool and you can easily do fake blurry reflections if you want by adding a blur node to your reflection pass. Also it works well with my home made normal shader. I also managed to do a depth pass that I plugged into iDefocus to get depth of field. But it would be good if cinema output the rgbaz pass all in one go, just to save time. My depth pass was faked by using fog, and it works pretty well. I actually find that although the antialiasing of the depth pass is actually wrong technically, it doesn't seem to affect the output that badly.

Trouble is I am manually generating these passes, as the cinema special passes all have no antialiasing. Doing it this way I get the results I want but it does take more time

regards

rich

Old 09-21-2006, 12:53 AM   #10
Tiziano
soltanto nella mia mente

Just tried an RLA pass suggested by Lennart in another thread. I think I'm getting somewhere as it looks like a depth pass in the Shake viewer

Old 09-21-2006, 01:45 AM   #11
rsquires
Expert

portfolio
Richard Squires
designer/director
reg
Melbourne, Australia

But does RLA use float space and have compression. That's what's great about open EXR

regards

rich

Old 09-21-2006, 01:50 PM   #12
Tiziano
soltanto nella mia mente

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsquires
But does RLA use float space and have compression.
Not at my Shake/C4d machine now so I can't check. But, I'm thinking that the RLA render would only be for depth (with AA off). You'd also render out an openEXR pass for the other info. Combine all this in Shake with a multiLayer node and I think it will work. Just learning as I go here and going from memory ATM. Gotta install Shake on my Powerbook...

Edit:
I'm thinking there ought to be a reorder node in there too. I see the node tree in my head and, well, maybe I'll wait to add to this until I get home

Last edited by Tiziano : 09-21-2006 at 02:00 PM.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:50 PM   #13
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread