Hello :)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2003
Smile Hello :)

It's been a while since I posted anywhere on the net, at least when it comes to 3D and Lightwave related forums. Some of you may be familiar with my website - www.mgfx.net - where I host some of my now older tutorials for Lightwave. I haven't been very active in the 3D world for about half a year now, mostly due lack of inspiration to create anything at all. So I'm not very up-to-date with news about Lightwave and how it's going and so on, so this is why I am posting this right now.

If somebody can give me some info and feedback on my questions I'd be glad

Before I went into "hybernation", I planned on writing a book of Tutorials for Lightwave, and I even wrote one of the chapters. The thing is now, 6 months later, is that I'm unsure wether or not a new version of Lightwave will be released soon or not. I don't feel like writing a book for Lightwave 7.5 and then knowing 1 week after it's been published that Lightwave 8 is coming, and then start re-writing everything for that version . So should I continue with the book or wait?

Would a book be appreciated today? I mean is Lightwave gaining users that could benefit from a Tutorials Book?

I'm just looking for some guidance here on what to do really, I appreciate any help given

/Erik

http://www.mgfx.net

01 January 2003
If LightWave 8 were to come out tomorrow, I would still buy a book on LightWave 7.5. As a matter of fact, I've even bought books made for 5.6 since using 7.5. I'm sure that the things that you explain and teach will still apply to any new version that is released.

If you keep putting it off, why not wait for 8.5? Then again why not 9.0? It's a never ending cycle. My suggestion to you, is to go ahead.

Best of luck!

01 January 2003
As I said to William Vaughan recently (I assume you know who he is by now), you can never have enough LightWave Tutorials, 'cause regardless of what version is the latest, someone will have interesting techniques that no one would have thought of before, so a tutorial book is most welcome.
www.lalightwave.com

01 January 2003
It's the author of the Mansion Hallway tut!

Hehehe that was a great tut - I did it the first day that I ever used LightWave

As for the book - yeah! Do it! I am also currently writing a book, and even though it is scheduled to be published after September only, it is for LightWave 7.5

So get back to your writing, damnit! *cracks whip*

01 January 2003
Hi!
I know you from your hallway tutorial. Awesome BTW.
I wouldn't put it off. even if LW8 came out tomorrow chances are that still most the main concepts and ideas would still apply.

Motion Blur's A Step Below

01 January 2003
you go for it, you lightwave basic tutorials got me started in lightwave your tutorials are great

01 January 2003
Go ahead and finish your book. As someone here said, alot of the concepts and tools will be the same or very similar.

Either way, even if LW8 came out a few days before or after your book was published, alot of ppl would still be using 6.0/6.5/7.0/7.5 because they cant update right away. Unless if its free for all who bought 7.5. |

01 January 2003
MGFX,

Thanks for the mansion hall tutorial - it's clear and professional. You should still write the book on Lightwave 7.5. And do an update if or when LW8 comes out. I am sure we all welcome it. We need clearer tutorials on how to really do a short film - end to end, topic by topic, detail to detail, ways to counter against longer render times (when doing animations, particle effects, etc.), how to save render times when you texture or setup large scenes (etc. buildings, trees, lakes surrounding and people), multiple volumes if necessary. We need less and less books on how to draw a cube or a box.

- Rock.

01 January 2003
Mgfx - if you wrote a book of tutorials, I would definitely be interested in it. As mohh said, many of us are using info based on versions from years earlier. I have your tutorials on the mansion hall and the parchment and I really like your style. I had emailed you about doing a tutorial on the cabin scenes you have, but you said not at this time. I think your talent with that type of modelling and texturing would be a welcome addition to anyones tutorial library. My vote is YES. Willax

01 January 2003
wow, thanx for all the feedback ppl I'll be continuing on the book asap then thanx again all

http://www.mgfx.net

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread