Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 09-12-2006, 02:04 PM   #1
kidult one
Frequenter
jean roux
el, South Africa

no flip leg solution?

I made a rig from the biped guide - but i would like legs i can move above the COG that dont flip around (do a 180) In my previous app u used something similar to a 2 point constraint to solve this. i.e. the leg up vector moves with the leg - letting u get it in all crazy positions.
any ideas or link for a tut on this? few rig tutorials mention this.

Old 09-12-2006, 02:31 PM   #2
mattmos
henchman

portfolio
Matt Morris
Director
Matinai
Kington St. Michael, United Kingdom

If I'm feeling lazy I place the upvector for the leg underneath the foot control so it moves with it, otherwise I just animate the upvector manually.

If you're getting leg flipping with the biped rig from guide are you using the roll divisions on the thigh? These were giving me flipping problems when I tried it...

Old 09-12-2006, 02:43 PM   #3
kidult one
Frequenter
jean roux
el, South Africa

wow that has to be one of the fastest replies ever! thanks will try (just deleted my rig and am starting another) it when i can - such a simple solution.
I was not using the thigh roll on the legs - just used to a more complex setup to get the no flip - sticking it under the controller sounds good to me though!

Old 09-12-2006, 03:01 PM   #4
mattmos
henchman

portfolio
Matt Morris
Director
Matinai

Quick note, for this to work you have to have the upv in front of the leg, if this reverses the way your leg should be then fix it in the roll parameters of the chain (in the thigh bone parameters).

Old 09-12-2006, 03:14 PM   #5
kidult one
Frequenter
jean roux
el, South Africa

thanx just tried it and it works perfect (also know now where to look for that pesky upvector ppg. Im amazed by xsi evryday the fact that i can change the up-vector so easyily a dream...

thanks matt

p.s. you work for studio aka? cos that stuff rocks awesome characters and animation!
just been animating for a year now (self taught) and cant wait to do stuff like that soon
(next month would be good ....)

Old 09-12-2006, 04:49 PM   #6
kidult one
Frequenter
jean roux
el, South Africa

one more question - is an up vector nessecary on your leg bones? I got a better solution from changing the resolution plane to preffered axis - u can still use roll to dictate the knee direction and now the leg lifts up above the COG (kicking out in front or behind the character) - it seems an up vector limits? the chain movement - is it just for stability or am i going to suffer with no up-vector

Old 09-12-2006, 06:48 PM   #7
Jesse-Irvin
I ARE PANT!!

portfolio
Jesse Taylor Irvin
Modeling Instructor
Vancouver Film School
West Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidult one
one more question - is an up vector nessecary on your leg bones? I got a better solution from changing the resolution plane to preffered axis - u can still use roll to dictate the knee direction and now the leg lifts up above the COG (kicking out in front or behind the character) - it seems an up vector limits? the chain movement - is it just for stability or am i going to suffer with no up-vector

Yeah I'm not a fan of up vectors either. Haven't had much in the way of problems with using the roll instead. I usually drop it in as a proxy param in a displayinfo set under the leg and foot control so I don't need to dig around for it when I animate. others link it to a curve parented to the rig.

Blizzard Art Contest Entry

JesseIrvin.com

email me at: jesse@jesseirvin.com

Old 09-12-2006, 07:11 PM   #8
kidult one
Frequenter
jean roux
el, South Africa

I was thinking of doing a vector attached to a curve! i just tried the distance constraint but with in a few movements the vector moves to crazy - and a 2 point constraint is difficult to setup without making a cycle.
i really would like my vector to move with the leg in a fixed distance from root to tip no matter the position of the foot controller.
but other wise the curve idea is next - some tests without the vector had strange rotations not to bad but i like the more visual feed back of an up vector

Old 09-12-2006, 07:23 PM   #9
Jesse-Irvin
I ARE PANT!!

portfolio
Jesse Taylor Irvin
Modeling Instructor
Vancouver Film School
West Vancouver, Canada

Whoa... now I'm confused... I thought you switched to using the roll?

Blizzard Art Contest Entry

JesseIrvin.com

email me at: jesse@jesseirvin.com

Old 09-12-2006, 07:38 PM   #10
kidult one
Frequenter
jean roux
el, South Africa

Sorry been a long day...I've put the rig to rest for the moment and was just fiddling with a leg setup - the rig with just the roll is doing good but movement/rotation on certain poses is not hundred percent but might just be gimball lock (keep in mind noobie here)
the movement is really a bit unrealistic even for the cartoon rig - basically the leg starts of sticking straight out putting the foot nearly in line with the hip (a kick almost) and then the leg swings out to the side staying level until it goes behind him. So really never would i have such a movement but just wanted to try get a rig going with a vector. I dream of one day becoming a character rigger so its fun to play with all the differant setups!

Old 09-13-2006, 01:13 AM   #11
mattmos
henchman

portfolio
Matt Morris
Director
Matinai

Quote:
thanx just tried it and it works perfect (also know now where to look for that pesky upvector ppg. Im amazed by xsi evryday the fact that i can change the up-vector so easyily a dream...

thanks matt

p.s. you work for studio aka? cos that stuff rocks awesome characters and animation!
just been animating for a year now (self taught) and cant wait to do stuff like that soon
(next month would be good ....)

Yeah been here a little while now, there are some very talented folks here, its a great place to learn. What struck me though is actually how simple the approach is most times, rig as basic as possible to get stuff moving and then if there are any glaring issues it gets dealt with down the line (corrective shape here or there etc) but you fix what you can see rather than taking forever over a complex rig... basically there isn't one rig solution for everything, you just do whatever works for the shots its needed. Always good to know how stuff works though

Old 09-13-2006, 03:54 AM   #12
Sbowling
Lord of the posts

Quote:
I dream of one day becoming a character rigger so its fun to play with all the differant setups!

If you are serious about character rigging, I highly recommend getting the entire Advanced character rigging set from 3dtutorial.com and going through it. After you have a good understanding of that I would then get the Rigging pro tutorials from 3dquakers.com. Both of these are excellent, but I think the ACR series gives a much better education on character rigging and should be first the first one you buy. The rigging pro shows how to make a very good and clean rig but it will be easier to understand what is going on after viewing the ACR series. BTW, the entire ACR series is about 27 hours of training.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:22 AM   #13
kidult one
Frequenter
jean roux
el, South Africa

Yup those training vid look good but the price...The exhange rate is not very good here where Im from so that series would take me awhile to afford (saving up for advanced xsi at the moment - its costs the same as buying a small family car )

Also in the previous software i was using the training vids i bought said the same things about rigs - specially that there is no one rig for it all and their's always seemed so complex.
Being able to get such stable rotations from a bone without vectors in xsi seems almost magic and the ability to change and add to the rig at any stage of production is awesome!

Today Im going to try some more ideas (hey at least i will be good at rigging legs after)

Old 09-13-2006, 11:23 AM   #14
3dtutorial
Lord of the posts
Company Director

Quote:
Yup those training vid look good but the price...The exhange rate is not very good here where Im from so that series would take me awhile to afford (saving up for advanced xsi at the moment - its costs the same as buying a small family car )

Hi,

I just saw your post and wanted to reply.

You might not be aware of this but I do offer a special bundle price on our ACR series.

The bundle price is US$129.97 and you get all 4 volumes in the series for that (27 hours of training).

I don't know if that helps you or not but I hope so.

Kind Regards,

/joe

Certified Softimage Instructor
Ask about our 3D Scanning Services!

Meshmasters.com

Old 09-13-2006, 11:37 AM   #15
kidult one
Frequenter
jean roux
el, South Africa

Thanx that is a good special but the exhange rate of rand (our currency) to dollar is 7 to 1 so your package costs 900 rand (which is slightly more than alot of people here's monthly income) so.....
I do illustration and design (and i am trying to crack the animation world, got pretty good 2d skills just trying to get the 3d ones) and most of it is freelance so...hey as soon as I get that next big job i be 1st inline to buy

Getting of the topic a bit...Anyone now a good leg rig with up vector that follows at a constant distance so that it can kick above the waist infront and behind?

Thread Closed share thread