Old 01-29-2003, 01:02 AM   #1
orion 77
Not-Know-It-All
sir
designer/3d artist
uk, United Kingdom

why should learn softimage

just a simple question.

i know lw very well and i want to maximize my employability. i have tried xsi experience and i love it and would prefer xsi. yet is it really worth learning it and spending 6k on it when i may not be able to find much work. i mean in general not just movies but games, and multi-media.
i concentrate on modeling and textures rather than animating.

i know its been thrashed out but i dont want to invest time and money on something that wont return something back.

any replies would be great.

Old 01-29-2003, 04:32 AM   #2
Atyss
Defiler of the Null
Bernard Lebel
Clueless TD
Montreal, Canada

Re: why should learn softimage

I'm among those who beleive that XSI's future is bright, but at the present if the only thing that matters is to be employed I'll say go the most used one(s).....

Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

Old 01-30-2003, 01:25 AM   #3
dg
in d'box

portfolio
Diogo Girondi
São Paulo, Brazil

Send a message via MSN to dg
I'm an XSI newbie too, and I was wondering the same thing some months ago, but some points that convince my self to go with XSI

-- Maya is in battle with 3D Max
-- Softimage 3D is a classic in Hollywood
-- Softimage don't want to be popular (For me this is good)
-- Avid has a serious business and take their consumer very
seriously
-- The XSI is absolutly great
-- Has an amazing built in renderer
-- I have heard that knowing XSI has some advantages in the
final sallary.

But of course I may be all wrong.
Please if anyone have a sugestion let me know, I'm in kind of the same doubt.

See Ya!
And sorry for my very terrible english, I hope you can understand

Old 01-30-2003, 06:29 AM   #4
wmendez
Past, Present, & Future.

Will Mendez
SOFTIMAGE Co.
Montreal, Canada

I would say learn XSI now. Avid is doing very well and Softimage is too.

Orion- use what you have now and when you start making some money then purchase it.

Old 01-30-2003, 07:05 AM   #5
ggg
RTFM

Quote:
Originally posted by diogo girondi

-- I have heard that knowing XSI has some advantages in the
final sallary.

Where ???

Will, just to play devils advocate who says Soft is doing well now? (other than soft) Most of the XSI seats sold still seem to be mostly replacement seats for SI3D or to previous SI users.
If 3.5 or 4.0 takes a leap forward like 2.0 did within this year then OK it will be IT.
Many of us, especially here and at the other forums are taking a financial hit now and big risk for the future with XSI...
Based on discussions with SI people I'm still sticking in there.
I'd say if you like XSI then use it, it has a decent future, the market though is still struggling so not too many new seats, most sold I believe are still replacement seats.
Ed?

Old 01-30-2003, 07:34 AM   #6
wmendez
Past, Present, & Future.

Will Mendez
SOFTIMAGE Co.
Montreal, Canada

You can play devils advocate any time

I'm going from the fact that they are not cutting down the price of the software, they have introduced Behavior at a Higher price than XSI and have not been laying people off but hiring.

Old 01-30-2003, 07:51 AM   #7
ggg
RTFM

hmm OK. The behavior one was a surprise. I thought it was going to be included. Too bad I liked playing with motion factory.

Old 01-30-2003, 12:54 PM   #8
orion 77
Not-Know-It-All
sir
designer/3d artist
uk, United Kingdom

yeah i cant find pricing. i dont care for dynamics or cloth to be honest.
i've made a decision to cut back on animation and concentrate on modelling and textures. although xsi has superb animation capabilities but not my main concern right now.

Old 01-30-2003, 01:38 PM   #9
Nurb'd
Frequenter

"The SOFTIMAGE|XSI v.3.0 environment, which supports Windows, Linux and IRIX operating systems, is available today with pricing starting at $6,750*. For a limited time, until December 22, 2002, existing SOFTIMAGE|XSI customers can upgrade to version 3.0 of SOFTIMAGE|XSI for as little as $1,395* and SOFTIMAGE|3D customers can trade-up to the SOFTIMAGE|XSI environment starting at $3,500*. Additionally, until December 22, 2002, Softimage is offering attractive trade-in credits, for old 3-D software, towards the purchase of the SOFTIMAGE|XSI environment. By trading-in one of the following software packages, Alias|Wavefront Maya Builder, Maya Complete and Maya Unlimited, discreet 3ds max, NewTek Lightwave, Side Effects Houdini, companies can save up to $6,500* off the price of the SOFTIMAGE|XSI software, the industry’s leading 3-D nonlinear production environment. Visit Softimage at www.softimage.com or call 1-800-576-3846 for more information on SOFTIMAGE|XSI software and other Softimage products, as well as all current promotions.
*All prices quoted are USMSRP and in U.S. dollars. International pricing may vary. "

Old 01-30-2003, 03:14 PM   #10
EdHarriss
Softimage,the future, now

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Ed Harriss
3d Artist/TD
EdHarriss.com
USA

Quote:
Originally posted by ggg
Most of the XSI seats sold still seem to be mostly replacement seats for SI3D or to previous SI users.
If 3.5 or 4.0 takes a leap forward like 2.0 did within this year then OK it will be IT.
Many of us, especially here and at the other forums are taking a financial hit now and big risk for the future with XSI...
Based on discussions with SI people I'm still sticking in there.
I'd say if you like XSI then use it, it has a decent future, the market though is still struggling so not too many new seats, most sold I believe are still replacement seats.
Ed?

For the longest time XSI seats sold did seem to be replacement seats for SI3D or to previous SI users. I got this feeling based on the types of people that I got e-mails from. Lots of people that use XSI e-mail me "XSI questions." Too many actually. (I get hundreds a day... ) Listen people, I am not Softimage tech support, please stop mailing me.)

Now I am starting to get a lot of "Our company used to use application 'X,' now we use XSI. Where is function 'Y' I can't seem to find it." (Most of the time the answer is right under their nose.)

These types of e-mails lead me to believe that a lot of "new" jobs are still not being created by XSI. But that old jobs are changing. If you are looking for work, I guess you need to wait for someone to get fired.

Besides, how many new cg houses have you seen open up in the last year or so? It's not 1996 anymore.... (Unfortunately.)
- www.EdHarriss.com

Old 01-30-2003, 07:05 PM   #11
lmc
Zism
Lee Zhi Wu
.: 3D Junior Animator :.
Ifw
KL, Malaysia

Send a message via ICQ to lmc Send a message via MSN to lmc Send a message via Yahoo to lmc
XSI really good ler....example from 2.0 to xsi 3.0....they always keep upgrade and now i believe XSI was one of the powerful 3d tool in the world even its still not so popular...

Old 01-30-2003, 10:51 PM   #12
ggg
RTFM

Quote:
Originally posted by EdHarriss

If you are looking for work, I guess you need to wait for someone to get fired.

hmmm. that's an interesting apporach I hadn't thought of, so many posts here, with the actual sig of the co. they work for, are innappropriate and should be reported

Old 01-30-2003, 11:03 PM   #13
orion 77
Not-Know-It-All
sir
designer/3d artist
uk, United Kingdom

hehe im not payin 6k anyways im buyin british so its bout 4500k. still expensive. hmmm well i will get 2 or 2.5. i wonder if i could get it for 2k instead maybe - doubt it.:annoyed:

Old 01-30-2003, 11:12 PM   #14
orion 77
Not-Know-It-All
sir
designer/3d artist
uk, United Kingdom

Ed you say that old jobs are changing. Do you mean movies and broadcast houses?
Is xsi big in the usa cos being british i hardly see xsi being used here. I only know of mill films who use xsi at all.
Huh with the way things are I had always prepared myself to go it alone from scratch setting up my own studio and going from there.

Old 01-31-2003, 01:17 AM   #15
Nurb'd
Frequenter

orion why not get Maya complete or LW? Both could work great for starting a small studio. Both have been used plenty for that very reason.

Thread Closed share thread