I want to model a nervous cell

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2003
Question I want to model a nervous cell

Argh... may I bother you with another modeling question... pew... well anyway, I'm going to bother you (hehe)...

Maybe I'm too impatient or too stupid to find a way on my own, but how the heck can I model a nervous cell? I have several reference pics and they look... well - like slimey goo spit on the ground.
I tried several times with a tesselated sphere, deformed it at first, then selected faces to bevel or smooth shift them out but any attempt failed (sigh) :annoyed:

I want to make a close up to loads of nervous cells. I'd like to have different ones (well, okay, that's another issue, but how to make something like this? LW slows down when the scene gets massive geometry... Is compositing a way?)

Just give me some hints for creating, cos I still want to learn modeling and the whole Lightwave stuff....

Many thanks in advance!

Tommi

01 January 2003
the answer is magic bevel find it, play with it, use the numeric pad to edit it.

01 January 2003

Thanks! I'll give it a try... Is it a function somewhere hidden in Modeler (edit: I know, that this function is in Modeler... lol ... but where to find?) ?

01 January 2003
there's a few tutorials on this site that should help you make your cells.

http://www.niklasindustries.com/tutorials/index.php

rube

01 January 2003
Quote: Originally posted by rube
there's a few tutorials on this site that should help you make your cells.

http://www.niklasindustries.com/tutorials/index.php

rube

thanks rube!
But I already know this site. Niklas has only a tutorial for the creation of a virus on his site. Maybe he should add a tutorial for nervous cells

01 January 2003
i think magic bevel might be in the additional panel. i forget.

01 January 2003
tommi:

what is a "nervous cell"?

model everything in low poly and SUB-D at the end. Also use Point Clone Plus to distribute your cell bodies along different points in your scene.

have a look at these images i did last year...while not perfect...they give you an idea of what you can do with a little planning and dedication.

some are really huge...so be weary if you're on a modem.

image 1

image 2

image 3

image 4

image 5

image 6

image 7

01 January 2003
Mhhm... You know, I'm no native speaker, but the 1:1 translation of "Nervenzelle" into English is "nervous cell" and I had no problems finding many sites and images for that expression. Is it wrong? Yes I know, it sounds odd - why should a cell be nervous... I'm speaking of the cells a brain consists of...
Is there a different expression?

01 January 2003
Aaaaaah policarpo!

Images four and six are the ones I'm aiming at.... so how is this kind of cell called?

01 January 2003
well nervous has to do with nerves which are part of the human nervous system, which is like an electrical/chemical system from the brain to the body that relays impulses. eh?

01 January 2003
It is just funny to say "nervous cell". Like a cell shaking it it's boots it is so scared! lol

Of course we understand what you mean.

GOOD LUCK!

01 January 2003
Sorry, I've to chuckle and roll my eyes..

01 January 2003
cool Tommi. just wanted clarification.

surfacing of those was achieved through Bump Displacement Maps and regular bump maps and a Gradient Ramp in the Luminosity channel set to Incidence Angle. Do the tutorial on the NIKLAS site...it will teach you a lot about surfacing these type of organic matters.

01 January 2003
in combination with my new icon image, and that explaination.. yeah thats pretty funny hehe

01 January 2003
is that jerry lewis as the Nutty Professor in your avatar User Delta?

Thread Closed share thread