Can Anyone Justify the Use of F*lters?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2003
Can Anyone Justify the Use of F*lters?

For the design community at large, the use of f*lters is taboo. But is there ANY case whatsoever, little or small, that the use of ANY f*lter can be justified?

F*lters used in that pic obviously. So what is so necessarily and inherently wrong with their use other than the given:

they are a cheap way of doing things the traditional way
design isn't about filtering, it's about minimalistic design composition
they are tabo0
they make us lazy people... just like calculators

etc etc etc...

01 January 2003
To me it's a couple things:

1. Are you a starving artist or do you want to make some money? Most times quick-and-dirty pays the bills.

2. Are you doing things to be "pure" or are you just creating art for arts sake? This is so funny to me cause all of digital art was, and still may be, considered to be "unpure" by "holier-than-thou" artists. To some people, not using a brush, pen, or chisel is blasphmemous. Does that stop me from loving and creating 3D...nope. Is it easier than doing it by hand...probably...but who cares? I don't.

01 January 2003
Good #2 VestanPance

I use filters all the time, in combinations, to ad the piece not to have them make it.

Got to love that Gaussian blur

01 January 2003
*Gasp* I've blasphemed and Frank Lloyd Wright is gonna come back and strangle me in my dreams... >.<

but yah, I've seen disgusting cases where filters were overused and scared me. But others... nicely...

01 January 2003
filters are tools like pencil or the airbrush.
it would be stupid not using it.
Like "i m-working-in-ps-on-a-single-layer-without-pressing-ctrlZ"
or not saving your work

it s the way you are using it that matters

but i ve seen a lot of people using filters very badly in a"yes-yes-next-next
-render" kind of way.

filters are like an alchemy recipe it takes time an effort to find a good mix

my website

01 January 2003
there's nothing wrong with using filters if they get the job done. Some of them, such as Gaussian Blur mentioned above, are very useful indeed.

The problem is not with filters per se, it is with cliches. They're the things you want to avoid

01 January 2003
That's not a problem,

When you have to do things fast, they are great/ unavoidable. But if you want to create "art", you might won't use any of them.

Pict to the left used a bevel/emboss effect.
(pict to the right shows the selection. After selection was done, I use that selection to right click on the pict and choose "copy to layer", then add the bevel/emboss effect. Makes great sand texture)

Erik
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wave.jpg (28.0 KB, 433 views)

01 January 2003
I personally dont see what is wrong with filters. they are there for a reason why ignore them at make yourself at a disadvantage and have to do things 'long hand'.

01 January 2003
There is one thing that bothers me though. Sometimes PhotoShop doesn't merge the layer-effects correct. For example, sometimes the shadow-strenght will increase after merging layers. I think it's because of the "preview-layer-affects" mode that's not accurate in PhotoShop. Usually it doesn't matter, but sometimes it can create problems, even though the changes are minimal.

Erik

01 January 2003
filters are good only if one can't tell that one has been used. In most cases filters are enemy #1 IMHO.

01 January 2003
Create is the key!

I don't have any problem with filters, but to achieve some good results you must blend them with others filters and tradidional technics.

For example, you want to create a depth of field effect, for that the easiest way is to use some gblur and masks to create the levels of the dof.

PS is great!
Buy a tablet and he will be even greater ;-)

See Ya!

01 January 2003
I dont find any problem with filters
just another tool used in the design
process.
its the overall design that's the art.

many traditional artist still consider the use of a
computer taboo.

01 January 2003
I can....no wait....f**k nevermind. Its just a quick and easy way to have some fun without effort wouldnt recommend it as a profesional.

01 January 2003
filters... ummm cant say i use them.. all i use are layer effects. Or did i miss something?

01 January 2003
You know, Gausian Blur is the only one I use....how do you replace that one?

Thread Closed share thread