Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 08-24-2006, 11:32 AM   #1
xsenos
Frequenter

portfolio
what ever
Latvia

PC with a Mac keyboard?

Since I'm having quite a trouble switching back to my PC keyboard layout after spending 8 eight hours at my G5 at work I was wondering if it's totally imposible to switch to a Mac keyboard for my WinXP based PC at home and have it work with Mac keyboard layout? Any opinions on this are welcome.

Old 08-24-2006, 05:24 PM   #2
lots
Lord of the posts

A mac keyboard will work fine on a windows machine.
Reel

Old 08-24-2006, 06:14 PM   #3
xsenos
Frequenter

portfolio
what ever
Latvia

Glad to hear. Does that mean I would instantly switch to Mac shortcut system by connecting a Mac keyboard to a PC?

Old 08-24-2006, 06:33 PM   #4
RiKToR
Avid Learner

portfolio
Cliff Berry
2d/ 3d Matte Painter
Blurred Pixels
Phoenix, USA

No, probably not. It just means that a mac keyboard will work on your machine. Keys like F13 and higher wont work and I think the Apple key becomes the windows logo. Even if Im wrong thought the shotcuts wont change to mac style. You can however, in most prorgrams, change the short cuts so the keystrokes are the same.

I know how you feel though, I switch back and forth often but in most cases I still naturally select the key strokes without thinking too much about it.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:37 PM   #5
lots
Lord of the posts

Shortcuts are OS dependant (and profile dependant). They do not follow the keyboard.
Reel

Old 08-24-2006, 07:12 PM   #6
xsenos
Frequenter

portfolio
what ever
Latvia

Most shortcuts are in fact software not OS dependant. And the way keyboard functions can always be enhanced by a pack of software. Which is exactly why I ask. It must take a certain amount of ignorance not to aknowledge that.

So back to my original question. Would anyone happen to have any experience with switching to a Mac keyboard layout for PC? In particular, I'm interested in having Adobe Illustrator behaving to me the exact same way on PC as it does on Mac. That's where I make mistakes by pressing the Win key instead of Alt or Alt instead of Control at most. Since most combined shortcuts are based on those keys that's rather annoying.

Thanks for any help!

Old 08-24-2006, 09:06 PM   #7
lots
Lord of the posts

On OSX, the apple key will work as expected for OSX. In windows the apple key functions as the windows key. The alt and ctrl buttons still function as expected.

Keyboard shortcuts are OS dependant. Naturally not all keyboard shortcuts are, but the main keyboard shortcuts (copy, paste, etc.) are generally an OS kinda thing. Or the shortcuts written into the software are designed to behave similarly. Either way, it helps keep the theme of the OS consistant. Of course, unix/linux copy/paste functions are MUCH nicer :P

Having used several apple keyboards in windows PCs, the functionality does not change much, minus the apple key becoming the windows key. The right mouse key (on a windows keyboard) is the right apple key on the apple key board, if I remember right... but keyboard short cut combos (such as apple key + some other key) will not be the same on a windows system. This has nothing to do with the keyboard.

I have an apple keyboard plugged in right now, and here is what the following keys do.

ctrl+c ctrl+v are copy and paste
pressing alt in a window will cause the focus to move to the menu bar, at which point you can use arrow keys to move to each menu
the apple key functions exactly as the windows key
apple key + c does nothing
apple + e opens windows explorer (since windows + e opens explorer)
Reel

Old 08-25-2006, 07:58 AM   #8
xsenos
Frequenter

portfolio
what ever
Latvia

Thanks, I hoped there was a way around it.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:46 AM   #9
RiKToR
Avid Learner

portfolio
Cliff Berry
2d/ 3d Matte Painter
Blurred Pixels
Phoenix, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsenos
Most shortcuts are in fact software not OS dependant. And the way keyboard functions can always be enhanced by a pack of software. Which is exactly why I ask. It must take a certain amount of ignorance not to aknowledge that....

I meant it would not be automatic. I did, however, acknowledge that it could be changed. And the way your question seemed to read was different then what you are asking now, I thought you were asking if the shortcuts would become mac shortcuts automatically.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:41 PM   #10
xsenos
Frequenter

portfolio
what ever
Latvia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiKToR
I meant it would not be automatic. I did, however, acknowledge that it could be changed. And the way your question seemed to read was different then what you are asking now, I thought you were asking if the shortcuts would become mac shortcuts automatically.

Oh, the post you're quoting wasn't meant for you.

Your remark about changing shortcut keys manually only occured to me now. After giving it a little thought I believe this should be just enough for me. Thanks!

Old 08-25-2006, 10:23 PM   #11
RiKToR
Avid Learner

portfolio
Cliff Berry
2d/ 3d Matte Painter
Blurred Pixels
Phoenix, USA

My apologies. Good luck!

Old 08-25-2006, 10:23 PM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread