evil robot for short anim

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2006   #1
evil robot for short anim

Hi all
In the stages of creating a character, ie evil robot for use in a University short animation.
- story is he lives in dark alleys and has to steal other robots parts and batteries to survive

the basic character is modeled out - all i need to do is add detail and an evil personality to his look.
any sugestions would be greatly appreciated
texteurs will look at bit rusted and neglected.

regards -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg robot1 .jpg (17.6 KB, 110 views)

Old 08 August 2006   #2
working on textures atm -
unfortunatly cant do much detail bump/displace etc cause i need to keep render times as quick as possible.
any comments?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg robot textures test.jpg (21.6 KB, 45 views)

Old 08 August 2006   #3
Maybe it's just me, but that robot does not have that evil feeling to me.. maybe it's the egg-shape that does it, but I would consider changing it to something else..

Also one thing that annoyed me was that the legs are cloned. Look at the wire.
Eventhough it's possible that he was created in that way, it still looks copied.
Atleast mirror it or something.. ok?

Old 08 August 2006   #4
"Maybe it's just me, but that robot does not have that evil feeling to me.. maybe it's the egg-shape that does it, but I would consider changing it to something else.."

any ideas? i tried to get an "evil, sinister - will stab u when u turn ur back" feeling thing going, not there yet lol, he still lacks in overall character - i appreciate ur feedback

as to the legs in the first image, those simply were clones so i could get a quick preview of the layout.

Old 08 August 2006   #5
latest progress - almost happy with textures still a few adjustments to be made, ie specular map on main body(too clean)

time to start rigging and animating,
any c&c will be appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg robot textures test 2.jpg (20.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg robot textures test 2back.jpg (16.6 KB, 9 views)

Old 08 August 2006   #6
characters pretty much completed - two of them
currently working on building the world (city street and alley ways)
good lighting with low render times is proving a problem
c&c on characters welcome
Attached Images
File Type: jpg robot02.jpg (20.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg robot01 .jpg (23.5 KB, 23 views)

Old 08 August 2006   #7
no comments at all?

Old 08 August 2006   #8
I like them! But yeah to make him look evil he needs something that would give a hint of expression. You could have mechanical eyebrows, horns, a different shape for the eyes that would look more angry, or even an expressionless character can look evil, but only if he has a threatening aspect (otherwise he will just be cute, like the ones above).

Take a render, bring it in a 2D app and paint a few different sketches over it to try to find what would make him look evil. I think just a small change or addition would do the trick

Old 08 August 2006   #9
thanks man for ur help - outsiders/other peoples ideas always help clear my mind.

Update

I changed his smaller eye - did a quick pose... and for those who cant read it, on the chest is a microsoft label (personal joke of a good product gone bad).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg robot01 lookevil.jpg (29.6 KB, 20 views)

Old 08 August 2006   #10
Quote: Update

I changed his smaller eye - did a quick pose... and for those who cant read it, on the chest is a microsoft label (personal joke of a good product gone bad).

I would still change or add some things. Like someone suggested, add som evil looking tools or whatever to him. Sharp things that are painful just to look at..
His "camera" eye could be a bit more .. hmm.. technical.. wires showing.. stuff like that

Old 08 August 2006   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread