Old Japanese Canal

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2006
Old Japanese Canal

Hello, I feel like this is near its finishing stages. Any critique to help bring it together would be helpful.

Thank you kindly
Christian

08 August 2006
Looks pretty cool! But the lighting is incorrect i think. Too bright for that position of the sun
www.mpavelart.com

08 August 2006
yes I agree with Pavel,the picture seems to be very bright according to sun. I think if you darken the overall image a bit and darken the places which are on the right, more,it would be better.Looks nice

08 August 2006
I agree, for the shodow side should be darker, also a very important thing , you're missing the sun highlight over the water that's a must have , be careful with the edge at the corner house looks kind of black . overall integration looks cool just add the correct shadows

08 August 2006
And to be more precise about the shadows, i thinks all the foliage should be almost black exept the very edge. Of course if you do not change the sun position )))

And don`t forget to add the shadows from all the objects like boat, sticks in the water and so on. Now there are no shadows at all.

Good luck!
www.mpavelart.com

Last edited by MPavel : 08 August 2006 at 06:43 AM.

08 August 2006
And to be more precise about the shadows, i thinks all the foliage should be almost black exept the very edge

No way...the sun isn't low enough for objects to start going black. Especially near the water which reflect light like a mofo.

If he adds some more clouds than the scene can still be fairly light. I'll admit that the scene needs darkening but the foliage certainly should be almost black.

08 August 2006
anyway, you can do what you like ) This is just IMO

Good luck!
www.mpavelart.com

08 August 2006
Thank you for your critiques! I am working on an update as we speak

Christian

09 September 2006
Well here is an update. I am not sure but a few things may need correcting, but otherwise i feel all looks well. Any comments and critique are always welcome. Thanks for your time and energy!

09 September 2006
Hi!
First of all, very nice painting, love the theme and composition. I think the main building still needs a bit more shade. Keep it up!

09 September 2006
I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but yeah, the buildings (overall) could use more back-shade, and you may want to put a bit of a fading shade on that boat, to make it look more dimensional.

But so far it's an amazing picture. Very VERY well done, especially with the water reflections. Kudos!

09 September 2006
hey Christian it's is looking better but .. I'm sorry I felt free for taking your image and do some modifications, I think we all meant the shade side had to be darker, remember matte painting has to be photorealistic so if you took a photo at that time in that place the exposure would make really darker shadows for the foreground , and I also added the water hiiglight from the sun I was telling you before

09 September 2006
hey Christian it's is looking better but .. I'm sorry I felt free for taking your image and do some modifications, I think we all meant the shade side had to be darker, remember matte painting has to be photorealistic so if you took a photo at that time in that place the exposure would make really darker shadows for the foreground , and I also added the water hiiglight from the sun I was telling you before

09 September 2006
No worries. Thank you for the paintover.. yes the ideal is photoreal.. so do not hesitate to critique. I was having alot of trouble getting that highlight just right and wondering how far in the water it would extend from back to front. What you have done makes good sense i will revise and post.
Thank you!

Christian

09 September 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread