HARDCORE MODELING!: 30Days, 30Models: Platinum

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2006   #1
HARDCORE MODELING!: 30Days, 30Models: Platinum

OK, well maybe it's in my character, but whenever I see a pick-and-choose challenge, I always pick the tuff stuff first. Why is a PSP tough for me? Well, because I don't own one. And I know there are just going to be twenty fanboys passing through here bawling their eyes out because it's not completely accurate. My response: meh, I had few hi res references, and had to guess-timate on a lot of things. That and it's a few hours of work. I'm happy.

Live-Action FLASH

Old 08 August 2006   #2
Good looking PSP there man, Looks pretty accurate from where iam sitting, Not
much crits only a Good Luck in the competition.

-Pdude

Master Chamber entry

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - A.E

Old 08 August 2006   #3
Yea looks great, I would add the start, select, home, music and screen buttons though. Other than that, it looks great.

Old 08 August 2006   #4
nice model and as I myself don't own a PSP (or any kind of console or handheld), I'm not knowledgeable about any of the inaccuracies. Looks good enough though.

Old 08 August 2006   #5
Day 2.

OK, I really, REALLY hope I don't have to start a new thread every day.

Allright, I figured let's pick an easy object. So I picked a pencil, which is basically a subdivided hexagon, but then I started realizing imperfections on the pencil. I noticed how it slowly changed from a hexagonal base on the sharpened end to a circular tip, so I had to get that right, and in the end it's way too complex and heavy poly-wise for a pencil.

Voila:
TITLE PENCIL

I hope I don't get penalized for not using orthographics on the front shot. It was quite tuff to make out what it was because it's literally pencil-thin.

Live-Action FLASH

Old 08 August 2006   #6
Model Number *3* Only 27 To Go. Shoot Me Now.

Well, for starters, guess who's too tired to process and write intelligent thought. Yep, me. Well this was a marathon, but once I had references, mostly from Dutch tractor websites, go figure, I started modeling, and four hours later I'm calling it a night.

FORKLIFT

By the way, don't expect anything too thrilling tomorrow. School starts and I won't have four hours to build anything.

-Brian

Live-Action FLASH

Old 08 August 2006   #7
Thumbs up

Hey man, the psp and forklift are looking great! Keep up the good work. Look forward to seeing the 30 models you pump out.

Waylon

Old 08 August 2006   #8
The forklift is very good!

Old 08 August 2006   #9
Just 4 hours for a forklift, that´s pretty fast. Nice accurate models, acn´t wait to see more. What modler do you use?
fail better

--Samuel Becket

-- www.cgknowledge.com --

Old 08 August 2006   #10
4 hours, straight. I didn't even take a bathroom break.
Thankfully it's mostly symmetrical (except for the gas cap and other things.) Had I really wanted to detail it I would have inserted cables, brakes pedals, and wiring it would have taken more time.

So, I spent all my time yesterday building that "expletive" thing, so I decided I'd do something as simple as possible. So I present to you ...

ERASER

That's just the pencil from day 2. I decided that I'd throw it in there so people wouldn't think it's a mushroom.

Live-Action FLASH

Old 08 August 2006   #11
Model 5: EEL

Okey Dokey, it's passed midnight, so technically it is tomorrow. I wanted to try something very organic, and nothing gets more organic and less polygonal than a snaky little thing. This is just a maya model, thrown together very, very quickly. I wish I had Zbrush. I only own Maya, and the program's sculpture tool, well, sucks. This took an hour, including rendering.

Live-Action FLASH

Old 08 August 2006   #12
Model 6- Boombox

OK, well, once again, like my big previous models, I don't have access to a 1981 ghetto blaster window shaker. So, where do you go for references? Ebay. Anyway, this build took a bit longer than I had anticipated mainly due to the webbish speakers and other detailed parts. Hope you like it.

Live-Action FLASH

Old 08 August 2006   #13
Oh, and thanks for the good feedback.

I hate it when you complement someone and they forget to recognize it. So thanks to Fist, Juzz, Laeng and all others for the feedback. I just need to set some time aside and write some thank-you notes. Feedback is certainly nice to a student.

Now what should I model next?

Live-Action FLASH

Old 08 August 2006   #14
Superb Modeling on the BoomBox! I really like it! threw me back in my chair! great detail! by the way you didn't happen to attend Davis high?

Old 08 August 2006   #15
Sorry, nope. Everybody else my age attended there. I moved to Utah last spring. Lived most of my life in Vegas prior to that. How 'bout yourself?

New Model: Strawberry.

Allright, the thing about this model was that I had zero expectations that it would take so long. If this weren't a modeling challenging I would have just used a displacement map, but since I always have to do things the hard way I decided to sculpt everything. Well after an hour of that I realized the seeds were not coming out geometrically correct. So I ditched that, and restarted. Beveling, combining and merging edges. Followed by laticing the crap outta this thing into a cylinder, then relaticing the cylinder into a semi-sphere. The only "fast" part of this model were the leaves, which I'm not totally pleased with, but they get the job done. OK, modeling food has made me hungry. Subway's-a-calling.

Live-Action FLASH

Thread Closed share thread