Old 08-19-2006, 07:47 PM   #1
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley, US

Lighting Challenge #6: Candle Light

Edit: This thread is archived. If you scroll down to the Challenge #6 section of the downloads page, you'll see that the models can still be downloaded for your tests, and also that a gallery has been made of top entries.

Lighting Challenge #6 is on-line!

The rules are simple: light and render this scene as if it were lit by candle light! You can download the scene here:

MIRROR
C4D
FBX
LWO
MAX
OBJ

All shading and rendering techniques are fine. Any minor tweaks you want to make to the scene are OK. The rules are to have fun, make a cool candle-lit rendering, and share how you did it afterwards.

-jeremy

Last edited by jojo1975 : 04-05-2015 at 04:47 PM.

Old 08-19-2006, 11:32 PM   #2
ShadowM8
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Serguei Kalentchouk
Technical Director
DreamWorks Animation
Los Angeles, USA

Looks great Jeremy, can't wait to give this one a try.

Old 08-20-2006, 09:06 AM   #3
lazzhar
Lazhar Rekik

portfolio
Lazhar Rekik
3D and stuff
Algeria

Let me start this up after a long break where I moved to another continent for a job.

Old 08-20-2006, 09:13 AM   #4
fighter4d
Animator

portfolio
Amr Shehab
Animator
Almajd TV
cairo, Egypt

Send a message via MSN to fighter4d Send a message via Yahoo to fighter4d
It's my first challenge in CGtalk , i will try my best,and woderful idea 2 begin

Old 08-20-2006, 10:13 AM   #5
ChrRambow
*gnaarf*

portfolio
Christian Rambow
architecture, product , character works
www.art-3d.com
Berlin, Germany

Oh what a wonderful challenge #6!

Can not wait to get my hands on that scene after this weekend.

I would appreciate if you could offer a 3ds file too.
The reason i ask for this was, that the under the boardwalk
obj-file was merged into one mesh with texture selections.

If this obj file is not merged ... then ignore my question

@lazzhar: I like the lighting and translucency on the candles.
Just the flames looking too bright and flat at the moment.

Welcome back and congratulation for the new Job.

-
time is passing by...

Old 08-20-2006, 11:02 AM   #6
MasterZap
Strange but nice person

portfolio
Zap Andersson
Shader Wizard
Autodesk Inc.
Eskilstuna, Sweden

Send a message via ICQ to MasterZap
Talking

I call it "Altar of Worship"

/Z

Old 08-20-2006, 11:37 AM   #7
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley, US

@ lazzhar - "FIRST!" Congratulations on the job! I was wondering about you, the guy who always posts great lighting work but had to look for work from Algeria. So now where to? France? UK? Singapore? USA? Canada? ?

@ ChrRambow -I just added an .fbx file. The .fbx should support the grouping and naming of the original scene, and keep the NURBS surfaces as NURBS, and should import well into Max and some other programs. If that isn't good enough for everyone, we'll have to get some volunteers using other software to do more conversions, and I'll host the files...

@ MasterZap - Great render, but don't you usually wait until your relatives are dead before you make a shrine to them with candles??? OK, you got a laugh out of me, and the asian screens sortof match...

-jeremy

Old 08-20-2006, 11:53 AM   #8
MasterZap
Strange but nice person

portfolio
Zap Andersson
Shader Wizard
Autodesk Inc.
Eskilstuna, Sweden

Talking

Well, I was more thinking of "worship of a god" style thing. But maybe the red mood made it a wee bit too somber and looked like some form of memorial.

I most certainly did not envision as deceased, you were quite live and kicking last time I saw you (You even survived me feeding you swedish candy Cars )

Here's a more... uhm.... neutral version. I added some foliage outside the asian screen walls...

/Z

Last edited by MasterZap : 08-20-2006 at 01:01 PM.

Old 08-20-2006, 11:33 PM   #9
Seggy
Mark Segasby
Segasby Studios
Leicester, United Kingdom

First stab!

Hi all, this is my first posting on the cgtalk website. I look forward to your feeback!

I want to put a little more light coming in from the right on the vase. It was rendered with ARTVPS Renderdrives. There is no GI or SI involed and unfortunately there is no SSS material to use for the candles... but I faked self illumination with an ambient ramp. I have imagined a window bringing in blue light from outside on the right side with a door a jar on the left creating white highlights and some light. I'm thinking the screen at the back could do with something also!

The candle which looks blue is because it isn't being lit on that side by the other candles. It kind of looks a bit odd, but I think it most likely would look like that.... mmmmmm

Last edited by Seggy : 08-21-2006 at 09:25 AM.

Old 08-21-2006, 12:28 AM   #10
lotaH
Toca Raul!!!

portfolio
Diego Schmidt
Porto Alegre, Brazil

Send a message via MSN to lotaH
Great chanllenge however!!

Old 08-21-2006, 03:26 AM   #11
kadazil
Guillaume
Saint Cloud, France

Send a message via MSN to kadazil
It is an honor to finaly join your big family

Greetings all! I have just discovered the lighting challenges! It was 2h30 am when the light was thrust upon my eyes! And now, it is 5h24 and I am a member and proud to be participating to challenge #6 Great work all of you! Good luck to all!

ps: thank you Jeremy for your time and valuable support

Old 08-21-2006, 04:33 AM   #12
barrymcw
Frequenter
portfolio
barry mcwilliams
art director/broadcast designer
Van Nuys, USA

My first lighting challenge entry. Thanks for the forum to show work and talk about it. This is a great resource.

Render time is just under an hour with GI. Done in C4d. In my next pass I've got to to deal with those nasty glows around the candle lights. I feel like they're a bit much and I forgot to render them in a separate pass.

Clearly I've got my inner chiaroscuro going - five candles would probably generate more light than that. In my next pass I'll add a fill light but not too strong of one. I like the atmosphere.

I'm not sure what the odd blooms on the screen are all about. Something having to do with GI, I imagine, like photon mapping...I'm a broadcast design guy. We don't do a lot of this kind of lighting. If anyone's got an idea of how I can reduce that, feel free to send it my way.

Oh man, I just noticed the floating candle...I'll fix it next pass.

@ Master Zap, I really like the translucency of the candles. They feel nice and waxy.

Cheers.

Last edited by barrymcw : 08-21-2006 at 04:36 AM.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:44 AM   #13
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley, US

One thing that I love about MasterZap's renders, especially the first one where it's brighter, is the luster of the metal base holding the candles. That mix with very low diffuse but the right colored soft reflections and highlights creates a really nice feeling of a metal like brass or copper.

barrymcw, welcome! That's a good start! Sorry about the floating candle, I hope otherwise that the obj file imports well into Cinema 4D. If you take a look at the candle to the right of that one, it seems as if the sense of contact between the base and the ground could be improved with better occlusion or shadowing. The circles of light around each candle seem like something you could get rid of if the shadows were softer: the shadow of a candle itself onto the table beneath it shouldn't be so clearly focused. Are the bright dots on the screen in the background photons from global illumination?

Edit: Seggy - looks like you haven't got an image to appear yet, but we look forwards to it.

-jeremy

Last edited by jeremybirn : 08-21-2006 at 08:47 AM.

Old 08-21-2006, 09:19 AM   #14
lazzhar
Lazhar Rekik

portfolio
Lazhar Rekik
3D and stuff
Algeria

Talking

Thanks Jeremy and ChrRambow , as french people say: "Nul n'est prophète dans son pays "
Geat renderings Zap you really made me laugh for a while lol.

For fun here is a second render:

Old 08-21-2006, 09:46 AM   #15
MasterZap
Strange but nice person

portfolio
Zap Andersson
Shader Wizard
Autodesk Inc.
Eskilstuna, Sweden

Talking

Seggy: Very nice, except the material on the picture frame isn't really working for me. But the glass/metal candle holders, and the plate, work perfectly!

barrymcw: Yes those "glow blobs" are indeed a problem. Try to do what I did (which is a classic "trick" to get stuff to look "brighter"); layer a few glow-blobs of different radii.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremybirn
One thing that I love about MasterZap's renders, especially the first one where it's brighter, is the luster of the metal base holding the candles. That mix with very low diffuse but the right colored soft reflections and highlights creates a really nice feeling of a metal like brass or copper.

Glad you like it!

It's the new mental ray "arch&design" material (the we unveiled at SigGRAPH) in pretty much the default copper preset.

Actually everything you see is using that material, except the candles that are misss_fast*.

Here's a new rendering of mine w. some DOF plus I added some "off screen reality" with the help of a very dialed down HDRI w. a window to light/reflect in the scene.

I dialed down the coloring of the asian screen backlight... hmm... now you hardly see my paltrees outside it. Oh well.

Maybe the DOF is a bit over the top.

I think I'll try something completely different w. it now. I really liked Seggy's glass candle holders!

/Z

reply share thread