A girls head

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2006   #1
A girls head

Hello people,

For the last couple of weeks been working on this girl. I'm planning on doing a full body but for now I'm just focusing on the head. The modeling took about 1,5 weeks, the texturing and shading about a day. The modeling is done in Maya, some tweaking in modo. The texturing done in modo and Photoshop and rendered in Maya using mental ray. The texturing was a joy to do using modo's UV and paint tools.

Any comments are always apreciated.
Also, I'm starting to work on the hair soon, any tips about ho to do hair the right way nowadays?

Last edited by ewoud84 : 08 August 2006 at 02:38 PM.

Old 08 August 2006   #2
looking good

however the bump map on the lips and cheeks are wayy to prevolent

Old 08 August 2006   #3
hey dude, looks great!

like unknowngod430 said. The bump on the cheeks and lips are too much. I also have the feeling that the lip texture is kinda out of place.

What sort of hairstyle your going to apply ?

Old 08 August 2006   #4
Hey guys,

Thanks for the comments. Yup the bump was set a bit high so I tweaked that. I also tweaked the subsurface scattering a lot. I removed the eye brows because I'm going to use antoher technique for them.

I hope you like the update.

Old 08 August 2006   #5
you really really need a ref... and you really really need to get the topo down before moving onto skinning. There are so many things that are weird about the proportions and dimensions that there isn't much point in saying more.

Old 08 August 2006   #6
jeeej, that skin shader is going to look really cool, the bump is much better this way, lips are still a little bit weird.

i'm also curious about the wire, can you post the wire or did I missed a link or something?

Old 08 August 2006   #7
Hey,

thanks for the comments. Here is the topology wire you asked for:

I'm still not happy with the model itself so I will change her face some more. Last weekend I wanted to do something a bit different then pulling vertices and tweaking shaders so I decided to try Maya's Hair system. Just to see I it could be an option for this girl I'm working on. I was happily suprised how this turned out.

Old 08 August 2006   #8
Nice Work

I really like the eyes and the skin texture - how'd you do the eyes? The life of the eyes is one of the things missing in stone sculptures - I can catch the reflectiveness in paint or pencil, but not yet in 3d.
Best wishes,
Z

Old 08 August 2006   #9
Looks good I really like the textures, is your model a realistic female attempt or a stylised female attempt?
Male Mercenary
Female Mercenary

Old 08 August 2006   #10
your skin is wayy too shiny at the moment, also the forehead looks too big. Finally the lip texture doesn't match up with the geometry of the lips. this just makes it look funny..

I might have more crits but it all depends on if you're going for a realistic or stylized model. also post references( if any) you have used..

The topology looks pretty good on the whole though

KEEP IT UP!

Old 08 August 2006   #11
Cool looking render. My first thought when seeing the 2nd render was, is that Uma Thurman, or at least based on her? That's who popped into my head when I saw that 2nd render.

Old 08 August 2006   #12
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread