Creating motion blur on imported images

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2006
Creating motion blur on imported images

I have a sequence of PNG's from a render I've created in Lightwave. I need the images to have motion blur but didn't use Lightwave for this as it slows the renders to a crawl.
I'm sure I've hreard of people taking the images into AE and adding the motion blur. All the PNGs are 32bit so include an alpha. I thought I could just import them into AE and add motion blur by turning it on in the switches tab and on the main timeline, but they still don't have motion blur where as if I create text it blurs fine.
Am I doing something wrong or can you just not do this with imported images?

Thanks for your time

Pete B

08 August 2006
Motion Blur is triggered in AE when an object moves fast enough to warrant a blur. Since your imported PNG image sequence is not moving -- because it's essentially a video clip -- activating it's motion blur effect will result in no blur as the clip is just sitting there.

To simulate the blur on your rendered object, one way is to use the directional blur effect -- animating the direction and length as needed.

08 August 2006
You can also try CC Force Motion Blur which can have fairly decent results. It looks across multiple frames and simulates a motion blur effect based on the motion it calculates.

Or if you can render to RPF (I'm not a Lightwaver, so I don't know) you can use:

http://www.rpfmb.com/

08 August 2006
O hright I see. I thought because the images had alpha AE would look at the pixels and see that they don't stay in the same place. I'll take a look at that link.

Thanks for the tips

Pete B

08 August 2006
Originally Posted by peteb: O hright I see. I thought because the images had alpha AE would look at the pixels and see that they don't stay in the same place. I'll take a look at that link.

Thanks for the tips

Pete B

Na, no compositing program does this without special effects/ filters. It's completely illogical from the programs POV - a change in pixel values could be anything from a slight camera flicker to dust particles to foreground objects moving past.

Mylenium

09 September 2006
Wink Creating motion blur on Imported Layer

Dear Friend

my advice is to use reel smart motion blur its a after effects third party plugin. its more or same like a 3d motion blur. i tried for a 3d project. it looks good for the motion blur no need to render ur 3d layers with motion blur try this link you will get some thing.

Software overview is
By automatically tracking every pixel, ReelSmart Motion Blur applies more natural-looking motion blur with no effort!

http://www.revisionfx.com/mblur.htm

09 September 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread