Unreal Fortress 2003

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2003   #1
Unreal Fortress 2003

Im sorry if I have posted in the wrong section, but anyway I am the Project leader for unreal fortress 2003, we have hit a dilema and that is we have models that are in desperate need of a skin. If anyone is interested in skinning our player and weapons could they please contact me or leave a message here. Im sorry but we cannot afford to pay people for there work, but the reward is that your skins will be seen in a high profile mod for Unreal tournament 2003 and you will be working with a friendly and skillfull and mature team on a mod that will see the light of day.

Here's a screenshot of our unskinned sniper, hopefully this interest you into joining our team, we also have concept art for people to follow.

With thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sniperrender_new.jpg (20.2 KB, 274 views)

Old 01 January 2003   #2
sorry for the file corruption :\

C'mon guys we have models sitting here in need of a skin, someone atleast show some interest in something that doesnt involve ww2, counterstrike or dragon's.

If i end up skinning then its going to look pretty dire

Old 01 January 2003   #3
work for free?

hey mate if we paid to study in 3D, why shouldn't you pay us to make you skins?

Life is not free, it costs an enourmous amount of money to study in 3D. We should at least get payed for the work we do no?

Sorry man but the idea of working for free ain't funny at all after all the money and effort we put to learn 3D.

thats my 2cents!

Old 01 January 2003   #4
Look I cam here asking for help for someone to skin our models, its for a total conversion for Unreal tournament 2003. I am working for free on Unreal fortress 2003 myself mapping and leading the team its going to be free for the public to download which means alot of people will see the skin's and hopefully for you or anyone else a software company will take notice of your skin's and hire you. Unreal fortress 2003 isnt a half penny mod it's a game that has seen many engines since quake.

As for study well I really feel for you, I studied for years to be a proffensional panel repairer, welder But when i left collage I found out that my profession had a catch 22 situation no experiance no one will hire you, if no one hires you you cant get experience, but if a friend has a crash and come to me for help I wouldnt turn him down, because I feel bitter that I studied for all them years, im aksing for help not the earth.

Old 01 January 2003   #5
Quote: Originally posted by UNF2003|Jason
Look I cam here asking for help for someone to skin our models, its for a total conversion for Unreal tournament 2003. I am working for free on Unreal fortress 2003 myself mapping and leading the team its going to be free for the public to download which means alot of people will see the skin's and hopefully for you or anyone else a software company will take notice of your skin's and hire you. Unreal fortress 2003 isnt a half penny mod it's a game that has seen many engines since quake.

As for study well I really feel for you, I studied for years to be a proffensional panel repairer, welder But when i left collage I found out that my profession had a catch 22 situation no experiance no one will hire you, if no one hires you you cant get experience, but if a friend has a crash and come to me for help I wouldnt turn him down, because I feel bitter that I studied for all them years, im aksing for help not the earth.

sorry to hijack the thread, but i agree with you. just felt like saying that.

Old 01 January 2003   #6
how about you just put up some models for d/l here and visitors grab them and skin them.
I myself really cant commit myself to this mod but even i have a couple of spare moments here and there and i could use these to help you out - in fact instead of writing this post i could load up your model in my app and start painting right away

so just gimme something to toy with - im interested what the unreal engine does with a skin of mine.

Old 01 January 2003   #7
Hey thanks nemo were really appriciate help

When anyone skin's anything please make sure they put a read me file in there so we can give credit to the artist and post there link on our site.

We need a red and blue team version of the player model's, one thing I will say please do not use these models that I post for anyother mod, im not saying anyone would BUT well you know........

Anyway here the scout I will post the arms soon and the sniper.
When skin is finnished I post up a pic of the model and skin ingame.

EMJOY!!!!!!!!

http://koti.mbnet.fi/fpg/unfscout.zip

Old 02 February 2003   #8
could you give out an .obj file, too?

And am i allowed to change UVs on the piece? Or will that give unpleasant results?

thnx in advance

Old 02 February 2003   #9
If you needed a .OBJ file version then I could try and get you one our modellers only use 3dmax and milkshape, also if you change the skin map we would have to import the model again, there is a PSK file there so if you wanted to view the model and look at the skin then you can use Upaint to do it ( i made a crappy test skin for it). If you really need these then i'll have a word with modellers and ask them to try and sort somethig out for you.

Old 02 February 2003   #10
an .obj file would be fine. The UVs i will generate shouldn't give any troubles - at least i hope so since i dont know the unreal engine - its a test

oh btw. - what texture size should i aim for? 256 - 512 - 1024?? more ? guess not

Old 02 February 2003   #11
ok i'll ask my modellers for the file type you require, the skin maps should consist of 2 1024X1024 BMP's one for head and one for body.

I'll get the files up ASAP

Old 02 February 2003   #12
Hmmm getting an .obj file type is proving really hard to get :( we cant export from max I gather .Obj is a lightwave file type, I couldnt even import any of the file types into my maya, and even then if I could I wouldnt be able to export it into .obj file type. Do you know if there's a plugin for max to export .3ds into .obj ?

Old 02 February 2003   #13
.obj is an alias wavefront file format - Maya.
And after a little reading i did i get it that this is the default file type UT2k3 uses.
There are tutorials on how to work with 3dmax as a 3rd party app so i guess it should be easy to get the models for maya.

In fact i just read, there'd be a stripped down version of maya that ships with UT2k3 - sorry thats about all i could find out (though it sounds really promising).

I hope i could be of assistance so far - and im still waiting to lay my fingers on the models

P.S.:conversion tools for many file types exist - most of them cost money(3dexploration), others are free but dont translate the files too well. - but the point of my post is - this shouldnt be needed anyways

Old 02 February 2003   #14
well we tried to export them from max with no success, unless of course theres a file type that can be imported into maya that can be exported from max, if so list them for me And i'll seee what i can do.

Yes I have maya that ships with UT2003 but I had no succes with that either.

We have these models so far to skin :-

Rocket launcher
Sentry gun
Engineers pistol
Sniper
Scout (you have)

Coming soon :-

Shotgun's (2)
Spy (lurvley femal model)
Heavy weapons guy.

As were getting in Concept art were getting models done.

When you said it doesnt matter do you wish me to pursue trying to get an imported/exporter or are you ok with how the files come. Also be aware that we would need the models in 3ds as we have to reinport the model BACK in PSK format, Max is the gamer modellers choice for Mod's.

If you wish I can post the whole lot for you, but I need to know how to resolve the issue of file types (if needed).

Old 02 February 2003   #15
there has to be a max> obj file plugin, it is one of the oldest formats, and very common. i am 99% sure a little google searching would locate it, and btw the maya ple included in ut 2003 will not be usefull for more than learning the app, all the files it uses are non usable outside of the learning version.

Thread Closed share thread