best video card for the money????

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2002   #1
Question best video card for the money????

Hello everybody,
I am in dire need of some technical advise....It is that wonderfull time of the year again, tax return season. I now will have the ability to get my machine better apt for cg, but, I don't know what video card to buy. Ideally I would like to spend between 100-200 us dollars. I think that I am going to go with the Gforce 3 Ti 500. But, someone was telling me about a way to manipulate a gforce 2 card, in order for it to behave more like a quadro processer. Does anybody know about this??????

signed,
boggled by video cards.
AKA: Jason

Old 03 March 2002   #2
quick search of this board and i found this link for you.

http://www.beigefingers.com/news/se...rticle&artid=10

Old 03 March 2002   #3
JM

You could also get a GeForce4 Ti4200 for about $200, and they have dual monitor support.

Old 03 March 2002   #4
Depending on what 3D application you're running. A Geforce card works really well in 3dsmax. It's not recommended for Maya or XSI due to stability problems. For $300 or less you could invest in a Elsa Synergy III (Quadro 2 MXR) with dual monitor support.

Old 03 March 2002   #5
Nah a GeForce 3 Ti500 will kick a Quadro 2 MXR's (the low end version of Quadro 2) ass any day of the week. Simply patch the drivers with SoftQuadro as I've outlined in the article I wrote above (hehe I did that) and there will be an increase in stability and performance. I've benchmarked it myself and I can vouch for that.

Old 03 March 2002   #6
What kinda of stability problems with XSI? Is there a site that lists them? Also, are those problems apparent with the Geforce4 or the Radeon 8500? As you can tell I'm looking to upgrade =).

Tellerve

Old 01 January 2006   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread