help with environment maps

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2006   #1
help with environment maps

hello everyone. I'm trying to see if theres an easy way to fake good reflections on high rise buildings that have a ton of buildings around them without having to do alot of photomanipulation. Im using 3d max 7 with vray as renderer.

Old 08 August 2006   #2
Why not just use a photograph of a bunch of buildings and a sky? Seems that would get you most of the way there quickly assuming you don't want to use raytraced reflections.

- Neil

Old 08 August 2006   #3
well thats the thing. i typically use raytrace reflection mask and throw an environment box around it. the problem is, no matter how high res the pictures are around the building modeled, they always seem blurred or pixelated. This tends to throw off the photorealism of the entire scene plus, its a pain in the butt to have to lasso building by building and place them in such a way that they work well in the scene. I'd love to figure out a way to fake a reflection well enough to not show any buildings but still look convincing in a scene where buildings surround it. I dont know, I guess thats trying to create something out of nothing.

Old 08 August 2006   #4
Well, you're going to need some buildings reflected if you want something that looks real. Maybe try some cards with buildings on them, invisible to the camera but visible to the reflections. That would make them easier to place and they should only be pixelated if the image doesn't have enough resolution.

- Neil

Old 08 August 2006   #5
Yeah, I guess you're right. I was just looking for an easy way out. My newest building I'm working on looks a whole lot better as far as the reflections not quite as blurry. Now when you say cards does that mean like a bunch of planes with buildings and opacity maps?

Old 08 August 2006   #6
Yup. Or even boxes with building photos on the outside, which will give them a bit of 3dimensionality without the need to build and light full buildings to reflect in your hero buildings.

- Neil

Old 08 August 2006   #7
Usualy fake buildings around are better, for those u realy don`t need extra hires map.
Also To improve the look also try to apply a bit of disortion to the glass material. You can use noise with large scale in bump slot, or disort the geometry a little.

Old 08 August 2006   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread