Build a computer to work&play with.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2006
Build a computer to work&play with.

I've been thinking of building a computer to work and to play with.
Work as in with 3D (modeling, animating etc.) and 2D (Photoshop, 2D art etc.)
And gaming as in being able to play the newest games.

It would be great if you could help me when it comes to what things(CPU, graphic card and all that.)

Right now I've got these:

Windows XP
CPU: MD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.0GHz
768 MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c
Card name: Inno3D GeForce 6800 GT 256 MB
Sound: Description: NVIDIA® nForce(TM) Audio

Or do you guys recommened that I would use one computer for gaming and one for working?

Is there anything I need to change or keep?

All kind of help are pretty much appreciated .

08 August 2006
A single system is just fine for work and play. Taking a look at the parts you have, the video card is still quite good. Since it is AGP though, if you look at upgrading, make sure that the motherboard you get supports AGP. Many boards supporting the latest in processor technologies are now using PCI Express as the bus for GPUs.

Memory is always a good thing to make sure you have a LOT of. I'm getting pretty bogged down with 1GB in my laptop and have been meaning to upgrade to 2GB for a while. I would suggest that 1GB be your bare minimum. Look for more if you find 1GB to limit the speed at which you prefer to do things. In other words, if there are tasks that you try to do, but it becomes slow because the hard drive is busy crunching through data, then I would pursue more memory.

If you plan on upgrading graphics as well, then I suggest finding a PCI Express based solution. You could then look at processors like the Intel Core 2 series to get some really serious performance.

Tycrid Platform Technologies Inc.

08 August 2006
I just finished ordering all of my components today. Hopefully I will have my system up and running by the first of next week. I am looking to run similar programs like 3ds Max, Viz, AutoCad ADT, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. Here is what I purchased:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Asus A8N5X Mobo
Corsair XMS (2x1GB) DDR PC3200
Nvidia eVGA 7600 GT
Coolmax 500w PSU
Seagate 320 GB SATA
Creative Audigy PCI
Coolermaster Case

I will let you know how it turns out. How much are you looking to spend? That is the key.

If you are on a budget, an AMD X2 dual core is the way to go. If not, take a look at the new Intel Core 2 Duo. I would recommend a 7800GT if you intend to do a fair amount of gaming. I opted to save a $100 and deal with 12 pixel pipelines as opposed to the 7800's 24. But I don't intend on doing very much gaming. I also looked at the Quadro FX series but I could not justify spending $600-1200 on a professional series graphics card.

Anyway, good luck with your system.

08 August 2006
I just upgraded from a similar setup to a dual core 64 pentium that does pretty slick for a sum tota l of 220 euro's, but that's including replacing broken parts.

I can overcock this one a lot too, but not as much on this mobo since I don't have separate control over the voltage of the cpu. But in generic benchmark it scores higher even at this speed than the AMD 64 x2 4400+, bout 15 % faster.

Pentium D 805
Zalman CNPS7700 Cu cooler (really cool contraption )
Asrock 775dual VSTA
replaced psu @ 450 Watt

rest is same, hdd keyboard, vga, wacom.

(benchmarks were generics though, I'm sure wiht a more expensive motherboard you can crank a lot out of it.)
modelling practice #1

Last edited by jmBoekestein : 08 August 2006 at 01:05 AM.

08 August 2006
Talking

Yeah I posted a similar buid a little while ago, was about to place order when someone pointed out that new duo2's were out and that I would be better of waiting a few weeks and getting a E6300... :( Not sure what to do and limited funds so I shall wait I guess.
jmBoekestein how is that 805 working out for you? Just wondering if I should spent the 100 bucks more on cpu for the E6300 or get the 805 like I was originally planning.

08 August 2006
Quote: I can overcock this one a lot too

Yeah, but be careful, you could get a nasty burn

Quote: 768 MB RAM

I'd go for 3 GB if I was building a computer today, and I was on a budget. I'd save on something else - RAM is vital. (XP can be 'tricked' into using all 3 GB, that's why I didn't write 4 or whatever. But if I wasn't on a budget I'd go for XP64 and get 10 GB minimum, since then I could run Photoshop and Maya at the same time, each with 4 GB of RAM set aside for it, with some leftover in case I wanted to fire up Mudbox.)

Last edited by Stahlberg : 08 August 2006 at 06:10 PM.

08 August 2006
My budget is on between 1400$ -1680 $, in Euro it's 1800 - 1300 Euro.

It would be great if I somewhat could "copy" someone elses copmuter. Maybe that would eb the easiest way, as long as i can afford it. Thanks for giving me some advice there guys. I'll be reacheing my own after the things you people have.

08 August 2006
I would recommend this motherboard: ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 (at NewEgg - here. I have it and like it. It has everything you'd need; the coolest things about it though is that it has slots for (and supports) both AGP and PCI-E, as well as having another slot to later upgrade from s939 to the AMD's new s940 AM2 stuff with an add-on board.

I would also recommend this power supply: Antec TruePower 2.0 550w . I have this also and it's the best power supply I've ever had experience with while also being under $100. Don't skimp on your power supply by getting a cheap one. I would almost guarantee you'll regret it later.

08 August 2006
Alright!
I've found a store on the internet here in Sweden: http://www.nordichardware.se/prisli...=produkt&id=116
though, which one of those 4 Power Suplies under "Produtnamn"(Product name in English) is the right one?

About the ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 .

Is this one the same as the one you have?:
http://www.datorbutiken.com/se/defa...rtid=ASR939DUAL

Sometimes there are so many words in one sentence. There are so many that I'm not sure if it is even the right one!

08 August 2006
This power supply is the one I have: http://www.dustinhome.se/Dacsaportal/?ProdID=5010081781

I don't know Swedish, but I can understand enough of that site to know that it is the same motherboard as mine.

: )

08 August 2006
I'm just rebuilding my system and have been finding out what's current.

If i were you, I'd definately look into the new core 2 duo intel based systems if you want the best bang for the buck today. They are very fast and reasonably priced. And also support 64 bit if you want to go that way.

Cheers,
Pete

08 August 2006
I thinking of buying a new system so that I can start working digitally. So please, keep this topic active, it affects quite a few of us.

Would a 21inch widescreen LCD/TFT monitor be recommended? I got a CRT 17inch right now and I usually get frustratered with the amount of space I have to work with.

Sketchbook

08 August 2006
Originally Posted by Stahlberg: Yeah, but be careful, you could get a nasty burn

I'd go for 3 GB if I was building a computer today, and I was on a budget. I'd save on something else - RAM is vital. (XP can be 'tricked' into using all 3 GB, that's why I didn't write 4 or whatever. But if I wasn't on a budget I'd go for XP64 and get 10 GB minimum, since then I could run Photoshop and Maya at the same time, each with 4 GB of RAM set aside for it, with some leftover in case I wanted to fire up Mudbox.)

Umm well but with 3gb you wont have dual channel.. with my mobo i dont have dual channel with 4gb only newer should support this i suppose

08 August 2006
If I get a new PC, I wont be using it for games, so would I be able to hold back on some hardware? Which hardware should I concentrate on, and what to get?

I would make my own thread here but it might not be allowed to stay open, plus if I posted it in hardware forum (like I did) it wont get a single glance at.

Sketchbook

08 August 2006
Originally Posted by Fl3wk: I would make my own thread here but it might not be allowed to stay open, plus if I posted it in hardware forum (like I did) it wont get a single glance at.

Hehe, I know what you mean.

So where can I get "core 2 duo intel based systems"? Is like a CPU? Does it work with the motherboard recommended by Andyman, which is : http://www.datorbutiken.com/se/defa...rtid=ASR939DUAL

Though, I would really want to be able to play the newest video games and be able to do alot of stuff with 3D and photoshop without any lagg problems which i've got now..

I mean, when I make a brush stroke in photoshop like a cirkel, it would'nt surprice me if it would look like a square when i was supoced to do a cirkel. Lagg? Oh yes indeed.

Thread Closed share thread