3ds Max 9 new features

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2006
3ds Max 9 new features

may be of interest:

3ds Max 9

Achieve results in less time by eliminating hurdles related to:
Management of complex data
Challenge of scaling to bigger teams (next-gen pipelines)

Core Performance
First release with both 32-bit and 64-bit release (Windows)
Optimizations in the following areas:
Mesh for editing (optimized for DirectX)
Vertex soft selection
Vertex and edge display (optimized for DirectX)
Spline display (optimized)
Bitmap I/O proxy system
XAF parsing and mental ray scene translation
And more

Productivity
Autodesk 3ds Max 9 builds upon its core animation and rendering tools delivering greater speed and precision to meet today’s time sensitive production deadlines.
Animation layering

Greater integration of Biped functionality into 3ds Max with
- Separate tracks for toes and fingers
- Support for all tangents types
- Ability to move keys past each other (to work in negative frames or reverse clips)

Speed and productivity enhancements to Hair, such as
- Styling of hair directly in the viewport
- Support for all lights and shadow types
- Rendering enhancements to achieve higher-quality results in less time
- Support for third-party renderers

Enhancements to Cloth
Improvements to mental ray workflow in the following areas:
- Final gather improvements
- Sun and sky shaders
- Car paint shaders
- Design and architectural materials

Pipeline Efficiencies

Autodesk 3ds Max 9 delivers improvements designed to increase pipeline efficiency. Easily share files, track work-in-progress assets, and customize your production pipeline to accelerate creative workflow.
Intelligent point cache system
Enhancements in FBX
Support for relative paths

Autodesk Vault 5 support and enhancements, such as
- Support for 64-bit operating systems
- Library folders support
- SDK improvements

Command-line and Maxscript enhancements
Support for all DirectX shaders and performance enhancements

X-ref improvements, providing support for
- Biped
- PRS controller
- Animation

Maxscripts and SDK enhancements

source: http://www.3domen.com/modules/news/...hp?storyid=2555

07 July 2006
i hope those cryptic "core performance" improvements mean faster viewport interaction.
otherwise i'd be disappointed by the update...but that's probably because i have no use for the character animation improvements.

07 July 2006
Yeah I hope there is more. I don't know if I should be happy or disappointed.

New Mental ray features look good.

07 July 2006
character animation improvements? you are calling this "character animation improvements"?

Quote:
- Separate tracks for toes and fingers
- Support for all tangents types
- Ability to move keys past each other (to work in negative frames or reverse clips)

These "features" should have been able to do in CS years ago. I mean, wow, now you can move keys past each other! This is what I'd call incredible! Almost even better than the ability to use all three axis for the pelvis in the last release, lol!

07 July 2006
hm, even more reliance on direct3d? never had much luck with that. overall display quality in OGL seems superior to me, less crashhappy, too.

anyway, where's my node-based material editor?

07 July 2006
Originally Posted by GIJoe: hm, even more reliance on direct3d? never had much luck with that. overall display quality in OGL seems superior to me, less crashhappy, too.

anyway, where's my node-based material editor?

well but opengl is dead sloooow...with current geforce cards.
at least with large static scenes...deforming animated meshes are probably also slow with dx9.
the best is maxtreme of course, if you can afford a fast quadro card.
display quality as opengl and even faster than dx9.

07 July 2006
wow, i just hope that this isn't the final official list with the most important features. I left behind 3dsmax in favor of XSI for exactly this reason - lack of inovation - this list looks at best like a service pack improvements. I'll wait for the oficial version.

Last edited by AdrianLazar : 07 July 2006 at 08:09 PM.

07 July 2006
I also hope the official list will give A LOT more. If these are really the most important features, it is close to nothing except the 64bit support.

And I'm still laughing about the last one in CS. Finally they implemented a fundamental principle in animating characters. Moving keys past each other... lol

07 July 2006
Originally Posted by plastic: well but opengl is dead sloooow...with current geforce cards.

On 3dsMax, that is...
Almost all other 3d applications rely more on OpenGL and the viewport performance in most of them is generally 'slightly' better than anything you can get out of 3dsmax in either direct3d or openGL.

07 July 2006
Sometimes really good features can get barely a mention.

Regardless, I wouldn't mind if this is the list, but the speedups and handling of large files is done well.

It really needed doing, and if the result is a spangly feature that doesn't really work well in production, I know what I'd rather have.

- Steve

07 July 2006
I wonder if the performance enhancements are worth it. FBX improvements are also very important. Let's hope these features are better than they sound.

07 July 2006
Originally Posted by Gräck: character animation improvements? you are calling this "character animation improvements"?

These "features" should have been able to do in CS years ago. I mean, wow, now you can move keys past each other! This is what I'd call incredible! Almost even better than the ability to use all three axis for the pelvis in the last release, lol!

Copy that! I think we should wait for the official release

07 July 2006
indeed, viewport performance for mesh editing is a must, i was waiting for this to happen at least 2 versions ago when i first saw how lighting fast compared to max was editing a mesh in xsi (that has opengl based viewports)

07 July 2006
eh, they updated (more or less) the maya site hours ago, and still nothing for max? I can't wait to know what's new!

I'll wait a really detailed overview before citicizing the release.

07 July 2006
When you just spent many millions of dollars buying up your biggest competitor, do you really think there will be much money left in the budget for R&D and actually improving your software?!

BTW, has the next version of MAYA been announced yet? I am not a MAYA user, so I wouldn't know what to look for, but I would be very curious how big the MAYA update is compared to the MAX update.

Thread Closed share thread