Texture Critique

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2006   #1
Red face Texture Critique

I'm currently working on an abandoned warehouse scene and I would like some constructive critiques, please and thanks.

First up is a wall texture

(oh! and keep in mind i'm not finished with the wall texture but any advice is welcomed anyway)

Second is my roof texture

Old 08 August 2006   #2
Well, I'm no expert but I've done my share of creating textures. Here goes:

The first texture doesn't feel all that usable to me. Is it supposed to be tiled on your scene?

A couple of comments:

1. The brick "cutout" in the middle of the texture doesn't make sense, engineering wise. No one cuts a hole like that in rebar reinforced concrete and then bricks it in. At least not willingly.

2. The concrete is pretty messed up. The plaster is mostly gone and we've got exposed rebar. On the other hand, the bricks are just dirty. Bricks are a lot more fragile than concrete. I would expect to see some broken bricks with exposed wall behind it.

3. The join between the two material types is not really defined.

On the wood roof texture:

1. The wood looks nice, but you can easily see many places where the texture is repeated.

Even though I've been creating textures for over a year now, I'm still learning a lot. Here's some examples of things I've done so you can evaluate whether or not to pay any attention to my crits.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v.../Thumbnail1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v.../Thumbnail3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...talTextures.jpg

Old 08 August 2006   #3
Thanks a bunch, i'll definately be giving those textures a second look...and to answer your question, that wall texture is not meant to tile

Old 08 August 2006   #4
The wall texture looks good to me, though it's way too monochromatic. The bricks should have some reds and browns in them. And what the heck IS that square doohickey in the middle? That makes no logical sense. And if you have to have it, wouldn't it be easier to model it on top of the wall?

The roof texture, well, again, very monochromatic. If you're working these textures for a game, it would be fine. If you're working them for a scene, then the tiling is too obvious. Use the clone tool to break up the patterns. Or overlay a grunge texture on top of it to break it up.

Old 08 August 2006   #5
sorry. I like more color. Maybe you like monochromatic

Old 08 August 2006   #6
OH HAHAH! sorry sorry, I forgot to mention that the "square doohickey" is actually just a border for a hole that appears in the wall on the actual model.

Old 08 August 2006   #7
I like the textures, but the wood is a but blurry at certain points. Especially for games you should try to make the textures a bit sharper. The ingame filtering will always make the textures softer in closeup, so any bit of sharpness is nice.

Try to avoid pure black like the shadowed regions in the wood texture, it doesn't look realistic and it doesn't react nice when lit.

I have to agree with bonestructure on the colours, it does look a bit murky (reminds me of Quake 1), but that is personal preference ofcourse.

Old 08 August 2006   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread