Rumor:E3 Canceled?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2006
Rumor:E3 Canceled?

Hopefully this turns out for the better.Smaller,more productive "E3" events.The should be announcing something tommorrow.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/30/e...ear-and-beyond/

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6154897.html?sid=6154897

Last edited by LiquidMetal : 07 July 2006 at 08:25 PM.

07 July 2006
DAMMIT! my wife and i where planning on going next year... damn!

this seems weird, maybe someone said the wrong thing and its getting blown out of proportion? it just sounds like it is going to be downsized and not canceled.

but does downsizing still fix anything? studios will still work on E3 demos even if that means it messes up their development cycle. and there is still going to be a lot of games there, so the press will still have a hard time covering everything [although less people mean smaller lines to play games, so it might help the press].

Last edited by heavyness : 07 July 2006 at 08:50 PM.

07 July 2006
I don't see how they can calculate the yeild of something like that... The amount of attention they get is absurd.

07 July 2006
On the bright side there is still GDC. But this really sucks! My wife finally got a job for a game studio that would have sent her there next year. Oh well, hopefully this is just an exaggeration and it will just be modified but not totally cancelled.

07 July 2006
http://next-gen.biz/index.php?optio...d=3538&Itemid=2

I can see individual publisher events happening now, which sucks (although I'm more news sites will rejoyce). If we have specific MS/Nintendo/Sony/EA/Sega, etc. events we'll be drip fed information heavily influenced in their favour. E3 had become such a deal that news was online almost immediately, and with all publishers under one roof, each was trying to outdo each other. Now we'll have bull**** PR events.

I'm going to miss the streaming conferences.

07 July 2006
I'm not entirely sure how all ofthis got so blown out of proportion. I'm waiting for the next article I see to have the headline of "E3 Cancelled Purple Monkey Dishwasher". What's happening is that E3 is tightening attendance restrictions. They're making sure that the people who attend actually have a reason to be there rather than having everyone who met someone who works at the game store down the street attending.

For those who aren't currently in the industry and were hoping to go, there's still Digital Life. It's fully open to the public, and the more gamers go, the more game companies will show up next time.

07 July 2006
Originally Posted by PaulAdams: http://next-gen.biz/index.php?optio...d=3538&Itemid=2

I can see individual publisher events happening now, which sucks (although I'm more news sites will rejoyce). If we have specific MS/Nintendo/Sony/EA/Sega, etc. events we'll be drip fed information heavily influenced in their favour. E3 had become such a deal that news was online almost immediately, and with all publishers under one roof, each was trying to outdo each other. Now we'll have bull**** PR events.

I'm going to miss the streaming conferences.

i agree completely.

i watched the E3 conferences [Sony, MS, and Nintendo] and listen to what they where shoveling, but then listened to the bloggers and got the "real" news.

we will be spoon fed more pre-rendered "gameplay" videos. the big companies get what they want, a totally controlled environment with journalist there that they pick to be there. and their reviews will reflect that.

kinda sad, the biggest news from E3'06 is that people where waiting 6+ hours to play the Wii.... we will never see an event like this again.

07 July 2006
Simple. If enough big name attendees balk at the expenses versus the marketing benefits they may voice dropping out. If enough drop out or demand changes - show is suspended or cancelled altogether.

Given the costs and outlook for the next gen console transition - this may be the first official unified belt tightening in the gaming market by developers and publishers.

07 July 2006
Ars says that the cancelled stories are overreacting, but it will be "downsized" whatever that means.

I was looking forward to finally getting to go. Oh well!

07 July 2006
Originally Posted by heavyness: i agree completely.

i watched the E3 conferences [Sony, MS, and Nintendo] and listen to what they where shoveling, but then listened to the bloggers and got the "real" news.

we will be spoon fed more pre-rendered "gameplay" videos. the big companies get what they want, a totally controlled environment with journalist there that they pick to be there. and their reviews will reflect that.

kinda sad, the biggest news from E3'06 is that people where waiting 6+ hours to play the Wii.... we will never see an event like this again.

You can't give a review based on pre-rendered gameplay or beta versions.Reviews will still be based on the games that are released to the public.Apparently they are doing a major downsize to limit who goes in,since in in previous years(not sure about 06) they let in anyone who was a "journalist".Hopefully that will be good since the people that should be there wont need to wait 6 hours to play a 5 min demo.

07 July 2006
E3 will most likely be cancelled for 2007 if the rumor is true, then return in another form if any in 2008.

The simple reason why this is likely true is because E3 is good for the industry as a whole, but not for individual companies (other than Nintendo, Sony and MS, but they probably don't like the idea of being in the same room anymore ). The only thing I remember from the last E3 is MGS4's trailer, Final Fantasy XII coming for PS3, Halo 3 being in development for the 360, and the Wii name. That's all. 99% of individual titles don't stand out at E3, only the industry itself does. I believe the later is good and we need an event every year that brings attention to the whole industry, but I understand why most companies would like to get things going their way. Nintendo and Square-Enix have been doing this for some time now and it brings more attention to their games without having to stand next to the competition.

I do wonder if we will still have a big event like E3 was tho, we need something like it.

07 July 2006
Originally Posted by LiquidMetal: You can't give a review based on pre-rendered gameplay or beta versions.Reviews will still be based on the games that are released to the public.Apparently they are doing a major downsize to limit who goes in,since in in previous years(not sure about 06) they let in anyone who was a "journalist".Hopefully that will be good since the people that should be there wont need to wait 6 hours to play a 5 min demo.

sorry, i meant PREVIEW. but the general public's mind is already decided after seeing 1 picture/video... pre-rendered or not.

07 July 2006
The end has begun...

07 July 2006
Originally Posted by heavyness: sorry, i meant PREVIEW. but the general public's mind is already decided after seeing 1 picture/video... pre-rendered or not.

Haha that is so true, especailly with teenagers!Do you need to work in the industry for GDC also?If not,this might be the next "E3".Or companies might just ditch the multi million dollar booths and go for smaller meetings.

07 July 2006
This is what they get for cutting back on the booth babes...

Thread Closed share thread