CGTalk > Community Challenges > Speed Modelling Session Forum
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 07-27-2006, 03:39 PM   #1
dgdatong

Making My Model Exactly Like the Reference

Hi guys,
I am new in 3D modelling but I am serious about this business and really hope I will be one of the Guys one day.

However, while trying to model the human head, i never seem to get my model to look lik my reference. colud anyone give me tips?

Old 07-27-2006, 11:54 PM   #2
erilaz
Stealthy Tea Monkey

portfolio
Martin Brennand
VFX Artist
Melbourne, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgdatong
Hi guys,
I am new in 3D modelling but I am serious about this business and really hope I will be one of the Guys one day.

However, while trying to model the human head, i never seem to get my model to look lik my reference. colud anyone give me tips?

Could you post some examples? Maybe we can point out some of the problem areas for you.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:03 PM   #3
dousman
spectator

portfolio
Danil Ousmanov
Catalyst
Sankt-Petersburg, Russia

Send a message via ICQ to dousman
You need to pay attention to proportions, and anatomy. Thats the tag line.

P.S. When you model with foto references dont trust them by 100%, because fotos have perspective distortion, use your eyes and brain. Look at your model in different angles and analyze whats looks good and whats need to be fixed. Post your work on forum and recieve criticism.

Last edited by dousman : 08-04-2006 at 01:16 PM.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:21 PM   #4
Imagus
Know-it-All
portfolio
Ed S.

Quote:
Hi guys,

Mmmm... depending on how new you are, the human head can be a very daunting task, as it is one of the most complex and detailed parts of the human body, and also one with which even the most casual observer is familiar.

As a suggestion, it might not be a bad idea to try modeling slightly simpler objects for a while... not ridiculously simplistic, just a bit less complex. Get the feel of your software's tools. Learn some new tricks, some new working methodologies. In the meantime, study the human form, including the face. Become familiar with the elements, contours, and shapes. Then, after a while, when you've bulked up your knowledge of the head's structure, familiarity with modeling in general, and your knowledge of the software package itself, try again. You may be surprised how far you've come.

Another suggestion, primarily for learning new methodologies, would be to look up head modeling tutorials, not to follow them step-by-step, but to "get inside the head" (cool but unintended wordplay) of someone who has worked with the subject before. Especially if the tutorial is done in the software you're using, it will help you find a way of working that you're comfortable with.

Hope this all makes sense. I've been trying to model the human head myself, and though I still have a long way to go, these are a few things I've found that have helped. Best of luck.

-= Imagus =-

Last edited by Imagus : 08-08-2006 at 01:23 PM.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:33 PM   #5
eyezac
Frequenter

great head modeling tute

I have had the same problem... Which is why I have avoided human and animal anatomy. I did find this great tutorial (posted in the 3dsMax/tutorials thread) which has been an encouragement to try again. hope it helps.

http://forums.ego-farms.com/index.php?topic=93

zac

Old 09-01-2006, 09:48 AM   #6
antonymuse
Frequenter
portfolio
antonymuse muse
Heartland INC.
Chennai, India

wow! what a link, thanks eyezac

Old 09-17-2006, 03:46 AM   #7
dave247
Frequenter

portfolio
Dave247
USA

Send a message via MSN to dave247
Hey I have a really nice head modeling tutorial for Cinema 4D that uses reference images if you want it. It's 223 mb, probably a lot less if i compress it with winrar... But I could upload it to a server and give you a link if you want. It is pretty good I think. PM me if u are interested.

Old 10-06-2006, 05:20 PM   #8
davids
Veteran

portfolio
David Simieritsch
Character / Environment Artist
Microsoft
Canada

Its all about relationships. Start with the broader features and work towards the smaller one. I always work the Overall head shape first so top of the head, jawline then move into the smaller features. Just keep comparing the relationships between the bottom of the chin to the lip on your model to the bottom of the chin to the lip on the picture then compare nose to the eyes.. eyes to the ears.. ears to the jaw hinge point.. hinge point to the nose .. nose to the lips.. lips to the eyes.. etc. not in that order either.

I just compare relationships back and forth till everything is right.. make sure you get the big features down first though cause that will throw everything else off if u do it last.

Hope that helps.

Online Portfolio
http://www.artworkds.com

Old 10-16-2006, 06:55 AM   #9
Happy Trees
Pillage Mode

portfolio
Andrew Astapov
Student
Vancouver Film School
Vancouver, Canada

Send a message via AIM to Happy Trees
My greatest sugestion is find the joan of arc tutorial for 3dmax (if youre using something else try to find equivalent tools in your package. Work through the whole body and the face. To find out why you are doing what youre doing go to subdivisionmodelling.com and look at the primer. That should give you a good background on everything as far as the modelling part of the process.

You do need a good background as far as understanding structures in the long run. Clay(sculpy or plastelin) sculpture and figure drawing will help you greatly. So basicaly what everyone else has said.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:52 PM   #10
Amphiblien
Veteran

portfolio
Brian Salisbury
Associate Professor
EAE University of Utah
Bountiful, USA

Just like everything in art, it's really about observation. Get as much reference as possible.
Don't get too caught up in front and side templates. They won't match up and your model will seem stiff if you spend most of your time modeling in front and side views. In order to really get the essence of the likeness, I have much more success in perspective views with a lot of reference.

Quote:
Hi guys,

Old 08-28-2007, 09:52 PM   #11
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread