[Weighting] Reassign locally : Unexpected failure

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2006
[Weighting] Reassign locally : Unexpected failure

Hey everyone,

I have two questions for you, one is quite simple and the other seems more challenging ...

Let's start with the easy one :

- Is there any way to convert a selection of let's say polygons into a selection of vertices ? This would enable to select accuratly edge loops then converting the selection to vertices (for weighting purposes)

Here comes the hard one :

- I want to do a simple weight reassign on some points but i keep getting an error when I right click to end the reassignement :
Quote: 'ERROR : 2006-DEFO-SILocalAssignFlexEnv - Unexpected failure. - [line 1553 in C:\Softimage\XSI_5.0\Application\DSScripts\operato rs.vbs] LocalAssignFlexEnv

I figured out that the source of the problem was that I didn't assign the whole bone hierarchy when I created the envelope because some of the bones are just meant to be used as controlers (so i don't want them to affect the geometry) so when I re-envelope and this time select the whole structure (that is, controlers included) then reassigning works BUT I have to remove the influence from the controlers...

So I'd really like to know whats hiding behind this error because I dont like the idea of having my controlers affecting the deformation by default...

I Hope what I wrote makes sens...

Thanks in advance !!!

PS: Did I mention I HATE weighting ?!

07 July 2006
Ok, I found a way to solve the problem (its more like a cheat but anyway, seams to work)

1. Envelope the character with the complete hierarchy (bones & controlers)
2. Tag all the points of the character
3. Reassign locally and this time, select only the bones (deformers)

Then I can start to reassign locally on any part without having this error anymore.

I would still be very interested if you have a theory regarding why this happens...

07 July 2006
Double post, sorry

Last edited by DimitriSafarikas : 07 July 2006 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Double post

07 July 2006
Originally Posted by Didou: - Is there any way to convert a selection of let's say polygons into a selection of vertices ? This would enable to select accuratly edge loops then converting the selection to vertices (for weighting purposes)
Select > Select Adjacent > Points/Edges/Polygons. But note that you can also select point loops and polygon loops directly using the Alt key.

As for your other issue, I'm not sure why it's happening. Does it happen all the time or just with this particular envelope?

07 July 2006
Apparently, it happend to lots of other people in my class. So I think there might be a bug somewhere...

Thanks for the tip, its gonna speed up my modeling time

07 July 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread