portfolio
Scott Phillips
Character Modeling & Design
Freelance
Vancouver, Canada

Send a message via MSN to Skooter
Red Eyed Tree Frog creature "Kawazu"

Update
well its been a LONG time since i updated on this WIP but i finished him and im wanting to redo him and make him more "beast" like, i think too many people found him a more cute character, but anyways heres the final character.

this is a character ive created named Kawazu, you can check my portfolio for his backstory.
ive been working on this model for a week now probably 40 hours or so to get where it is now, once i finish up the basic head model and other extra's ill put it into zbrush and beef it up in detail, texture it out and rig it for some small animation.
Concept:

WIP Model:

C&C are more then welcome and are encouraged!

Last edited by Skooter : 03-26-2007 at 06:03 AM.

Old 08-07-2006, 09:22 AM   #2
Skooter
Frequenter

portfolio
Scott Phillips
Freelance
Vancouver, Canada

UPDATE:
got the character in zbrush today and it was my first attempt with zbrush haha did about 2 hours of work on it, more detail to come like bubbly warts down the side of his belly and some wrinkles. then ill import the hardened skin and armor as a tool and work on that seperately.

critque and comments are greatly encouraged and are very appricated

Old 08-08-2006, 10:24 PM   #3
Skooter
Frequenter

portfolio
Scott Phillips
Freelance
Vancouver, Canada

no one will post crits or comments?...

i want to know if my concept is even popular or appealing, please be brutally honest and let me know what you guys think.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:32 PM   #4
jr2joao
Frequenter

portfolio
João Carvalho Félix
Porto, Portugal

Send a message via MSN to jr2joao
i'm facing the same problem...comments!
Its very well modeled and i like it alot but i would change the proportions...they are too much exaggerated. For me, just change that.
Hugs

P.S.: how about comment my wip too?

Old 08-08-2006, 10:35 PM   #5
Draconic
Veteran
3d Newb.
Idaho, USA

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooter
no one will post crits or comments?...

i want to know if my concept is even popular or appealing, please be brutally honest and let me know what you guys think.

Take a deep breath and repeat after me It will be ok. Peeps work and have other things to do just give it some time before you cry. Anyway I like the concept and find the modeling to be great. Keep it up.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:50 PM   #6
Skooter
Frequenter

portfolio
Scott Phillips
Freelance
Vancouver, Canada

lol thanks i keep that in mind just cant wait til i get the comments coming in and ill try to update as much as i can, i did some more in z brush and ill be hoping to get my displacement and projection map on there soon.

thanks for the comments guys i knew all it would take is a little time.
jr2joao: yeah i know that the arms look way to heavy and big and is exaggerated a bit too much ill tweak that when my characters out of z brush and back into maya

Old 08-08-2006, 11:05 PM   #7
jr2joao
Frequenter

portfolio
João Carvalho Félix
Porto, Portugal

it wont give problems with the displacement map?
hugs

Old 08-08-2006, 11:11 PM   #8
Skooter
Frequenter

portfolio
Scott Phillips
Freelance
Vancouver, Canada

lol well i hope it doesnt, like i said im new to z brush and as far as i know once the displacment map is on and everything is good my model can be tweaked a little with a lattice and such if im mistaken please correct me, its not too late i just started the armored skin and forearms in z brush it wouldnt be that much work to go back into maya and fix the proportions then re-export the objects its the head torso and belly im well underway with.

thanks for the post keep the comments coming and any constructive crits are more then welcome!

Old 08-08-2006, 11:14 PM   #9
Draconic
Veteran
3d Newb.
Idaho, USA

Thumbs up

I actually like the way he looks now... but then again it does remind me of a cartoon a wee bit. I look forward to watching this guy progress. Zbrush I still haven't found the funds to buy that yet...grrr although my workstation is all ordered!!! yeah now...the long wait for all my parts to arrive... *grumbles*

Old 08-08-2006, 11:16 PM   #10
jr2joao
Frequenter

portfolio
João Carvalho Félix
Porto, Portugal

I really dont use displacement maps...Pure geometry is heavy but it works alot better. Why dont u just tweak everything in zbrush, then generate the displacement map and use the lowest subdivision level as your base mesh in maya?
Hugs

Old 08-08-2006, 11:24 PM   #11
Skooter
Frequenter

portfolio
Scott Phillips
Freelance
Vancouver, Canada

this character actually has cloth on it in maya i already have it done, ill post an update those mesh pictures in maya are old.

jr2joao: thats a good point thats something ill have to consider, thanks for the advice

Draconic: thanks its good to hear that he appears to be fine the way he is, altho i prolly will change somethings, the head for instance i want it to be a bit smoother and thicker like in the concept i painted out in zbrush at this point the face looks like a wrinkly bull frog or something and its kinda steering away from where i want it to look so that might take a little work.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:43 PM   #12
Draconic
Veteran
3d Newb.
Idaho, USA

Well I look forward to see your finished I love the concept btw. Hoping by friday I will have my workstation I so hate waiting on parts.... I am as bad as a child at xmas. Been waiting for a new pc for 7 years lol

Old 08-09-2006, 06:31 AM   #13
Skooter
Frequenter

portfolio
Scott Phillips
Freelance
Vancouver, Canada

haha thanks im glad the concept art looks good because thats what im going on so if i follow the 3d model to my concept then all should be good
and man i know what you mean lol im just a bad getting a new video card or getting my computer fixed it just takes way too long haha so i can only imagine how hard it is for you waiting 7 years

Old 08-09-2006, 03:33 PM   #14
Skooter
Frequenter

portfolio
Scott Phillips
Freelance
Vancouver, Canada

Update

A little more done in z brush plus i fixed the head, it resembles the concept alot more and im pleased with it, next step is to add a bunch of bumps and warts down the sides of his belly and give his skin a basic faint bumpy look.
heres some screenshots

Old 08-10-2006, 02:09 AM   #15
Skooter
Frequenter

portfolio
Scott Phillips
Freelance
Vancouver, Canada

Im done with the belly for now, i didnt want that much detail everything else will be covered with the textures.
so for fun i exported the tool and imported it into maya to see how it looks. Its not a perfect fit to the armor plating but ill eventually fix that, this is the actual highpoly model i think eventually i will make the normal map for it

heres a preview of whats to come

Thread Closed share thread